Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hi Geary,

Thanks for the thoughtful response and wonderful example of the need to constantly evaluate things. Would you say that the lesson plans were a project? I'm wondering if there are certain types of activities that fall into the category and if so, what makes something a "project"?

Dr. Eric Goodman

I think that a success project is a combination of the 4 phases. Thres no one more important than another but if I have to choose i prefer the first phase because when you have identified the business need, is a great step to develop the rest of the project

Carlos,

I appreciate your recognition that it is a combination of the four phases. From your reply, I'd guess that you are a planner. Have you been involved in a project where you had to adjust your plan after the fact? Just wondering how that impacted the implementation?

Dr. Eric Goodman

Hi, Dr. Goodman
I belive that all phases of project management are important, but to achieve project success I understand the need to clearly define the objectives and scope of the project. Having clear goals will help us to continue working with the project firmly to ensure success.

I agree all of the phases are necessary and need deliberate focus and it’s important to define the scope. Also it is necessary to have good flow of communication In both ways to make sure everybody knows what to do and in what moment.

Jorge,

Thanks for the point about defining the objective and scope. What else do you think is important to ensure project success?

Dr. Eric Goodman

Nydia,

Great point about communication! What type of approaches have you used to ensure a good flow of communication?

Dr. Eric Goodman

Similar to other participants, each phase seems integral to the next therefore it is difficult to determine which phase is more or less important than the proceeding. I do not have a lot of direct experience with project development itself, but I do have some experience managing various research projects, and in such a role, the scope of the project seems critical in that it directs and focuses efforts thereafter.

Agnes,

I'm pleased to see that you've read the various contributions from others to this question. Based on what you've learned, what do you see as the similarities to research projects to the type of projects you may have in the future?

Dr. Eric Goodman

The most important to me is the execution of the project. One project I led, we began having weekly meetings of the stakeholders. Usually, we discussed problems that emerged that kept us from meeting our objectives and producing a quality product. The direct communication kept problems from emerging such as interpretation from email chains or using out of date decisions from other emails. The meetings led to more production from the team since the work flow was not stopped due to discussion/arguements amongst workers.

Jeff,

Thanks for your point about execution. The example you provide about direct communication is critical to the success of projects. Is there a technique or approach you use in that meeting that you'd recommend to others?

Dr. Eric Goodman

All phases are equally important. You can not have a sucessful project with putting emphasis on one phase over the other.

Desharn,

I appreciate your point about them being equally important. I'm wondering how you achieve that balance on a project?

Best,
Eric

Dr. Eric Goodman

I would say seeing or identifying/defining the entire progect as a whole would be the most important. Once you see the prgect you can then start to break it down and begine to manage it.

Hi Kevin,

Yes, understanding the entire project is very important. What phase would that be considered? How do you know when you have captured the entire project?

Thanks!

Dr. Eric Goodman

Each phase of the project management process plays an essential role and is important to the overall success of the project. While each phase has its own guidelines and requirements, it is the culmination of each phase that lends itself to a successful outcome. A misstep in one stage can have disastrous effects on the next. With that said, I feel that a key phase is then the defining and organizing of the project. Here, you assess the needs and objectives of the project. You clarify any outstanding issues, define the roles and responsibilities, and engage in communication with the project sponsor. This is the opportunity to align the objectives and goals of the company and project. This is the opportunity to drive the project in the right direction so that it can be successfully planned and implemented.

Dr. Stacee,

Excellent points about how each phase plays an essential role. Have you ever been involved with a project where a phase was overlooked? And, if so, what impact did it have?

Thanks,
Eric

Dr. Eric Goodman

When considering this question I am caught between to truths. First, in managing projects, like most things in life, having a good start signficantly improves the likelihood of success. Thus it would seem prudent to say that the Defining and Organizing stage is most important to success.

On the other hand, the execution stage seems most challenging because now the outside forces, and unanticipated events that can sink the project are present. Having the personal discipline to commit to the plan, and the ability to adapt to the changes are tested. This phase requires more than training and even preparation and organization, it really moves toward the will of the indvidual manager and their team to be successful.

And so, while it is true that one who fails to plan, plans to fail, successful projects are delivered by individuals who execute the plan under the pressures of reality.

Shannon,

I'm pleased to learn that you are caught between two truths. You make some excellent points about the importance of the various stages. So putting prudence, aside which would you say is most important?

Best,

Dr. Eric Goodman

I haven't managed many projects in great detail either. The projects I have been a prt of have been successful in part due to proper planning, defining the project and the scope. So, I agree with your assessment.

Sign In to comment