Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Yolanda,

Thanks for the follow up and I'm sure that you'll have the opportunity to put in place what you have learned...even with a small project the techniques are great!
Dr. Eric Goodman

I just completed an M.Ed. in instructional design and technology in which my classmates and I were posed with a similar question regarding the ADDIE instructional design process. Given the iterative nature of that process, I firmly held that the evaluation phase was most important - particularly the formative evaluation undetaken throughout the design process, since it made the development of tne instructional solution much more responsive to tne encountered needs of the company and its learners. Regarding Project Management - the Defining and Organizational phase seems most important - during which, the project manager is responsible for determining the underlying issues, needs, and rationales directing the project. This process helps tailor the proposed solution to the actual problem at hand, in a way that is consistent with the strategic goals and objectives of the company, as well as cost-effective.

Althea,

Congratulations on completing the M.Ed.! I appreciate your sharing the experience with the ADDIE model. You make an excellent point about the iterative nature of that process and I'm wondering how you see evaluation taking place during the project management process? In many respects, the best instructional designers are really playing the role of project manager.

Dr. Eric Goodman

Thanks for your comments and your question, Dr. Goodman! I definitely agree with you on the role of many instructional designers as project managers, which is why I was interested in taking this course.

To answer your question, it seems to me that the evaluative arm of the project management system is the monitoring and control process, which would optimally have corrective measures built in to address any problems or unforeseen needs that arise during the planning and implementation phases of the project. I think project management, like instructional design, is an iterative process that must be responsive to organizational changes, new information, and unanticipated needs, etc., and that ongoing monitoring and adaptation permits timely, cost-effective improvements to the process. Thanks again for a great workshop! Althea

Althea,

You are very welcome and I'm glad you recognized the importance of project management to instructional design. This understanding will certainly give you an advantage in terms of your future work. And, yes it is an iterative process of ongoing adjustments.

Best wishes,

Dr. Eric Goodman

I to have to agree that all four phases are important to the sucessfull completion of any project, however I have found that without the right people in place with the apporiate skill and experience level, the task at hand is much harder to complete successfully.

That is an excellent point and having the right person is certainly critical so as a project manager what do you do if you don't have the right people in place?

I believe the first phase where the objectives of the project are define. I have heard that the most important part of solving a problem is knowing what the problem is. In the first phase, the objective of the project should provide a clear purpose and resolution of the project. When this is not done the project will likely end unsuccessful. I've seen a number of projects that failed because the objectives where not clear.

James,

Excellent point about the need to identify a problem. It is interesting as many people focus on solving problems but it seems that we need to do a better job of problem formulation. Do you think you can have clear objectives without being clear on the problem you're solving?

Dr. Eric Goodman

Hello Dr. Goodman,

I am currently studying my Master's with a concentration in Project Management. Currently in my first PM class, I have learned that the project management process is made up of 5 processes (according to the PMI) - Initiation, Planning, Execution, Monitoring and Control, and Closure. This particular course overall presented alot of the same information that the PMI's Guide to the PMBOK text presents, though I thought is was a little odd that the course broke the PM processes down into 4 processes.

I feel that the planning process is the most important process that will ensure the success of a project. Successful planning and communication allows the project manager to establish risks, set objectives, and come up with a plan to meet the objectives of the project, while minimizing risks that could potentially have an impact on the project. The ultimate goal of a project is to provide the highest quality project deliverable, while keeping the project's cost and schedule acceptable as defined by the project's budget and scope.

Hi Christopher,

Excellent point about the difference in the PMBOK versus this course. As you likely noticed the course simply combines the execution and monitoring/controlling into one process.

Well stated point about the ultimate goal of a project being to provide the highest quality while keeping the cost and schedule within the scope and schedule. I'm wondering if you have ever been involved with a project where you had to adjust the quality to reach the budget and time demands?

Best,
Eric

While all four stages are important, I think that you have to have a defined scope and be organized with knowing the objectives and responsibilites of all parties involved. When projects are not organized many times the parties involved feel disconnected or unsure of their roles and responsibilities. There has to be a clear reason for why the project is being worked so senior leadership can be updated on how it meshes with the company objectives. When leadership cannot see the connection, projects are cancelled or disagreement on why the project is using certain resources can occur.

Michele,

Thanks for the excellent point so which stage would defining the scope fall into? Have you ever been involved in a project where leadership didn't see the connection?

Dr. Eric Goodman

While all are important the first phase is critical. For any project to succeed there must be a good plan. In order to create a good plan there must be a clear and correct definition of the need or problem which leads to clear and correct objectives. Good objectives lead to good strategies, which lead to good tactical plans (execution), which lead to good results. If it isn't right in the definition and objectives the result won't be right.

Phill,

Thanks for the point about planning and I appreciate the connections you then make to other areas like objectives, strategies, etc. I'm wondering if you have ever been in a situation where good plans didn't lead to good execution?

Dr. Eric Goodman

It is hard to separate one phase from the total but I think if the scope of the project is not clear and you do not have the right mix of team members success of the project is in jeopardy.

Pamela,

Excellent points about the importance of the right mix of people. Which phase do you think would be even more critical to have the right mix of people?

Dr. Eric Goodman

I would say planning. The old saying goes "Failing to plan is planning to fail"

David,

Great point about the importance of planning. What would you say it takes to make effective plans?

Dr. Eric Goodman

The four phases are equally integral to the execution of the project and it timely and accurate completion. Since all four phases are intertwined it is important for those involved to understand how they are related and how each delay, refocus, or need for adaptation not only effects their particular component but those related. I appreciate the graphical representation of tools like the PERT chart as a teaching and learning tool to help team members understand their components importance to the overall success of the project.

Sign In to comment