Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I would think this would occur in the Defining and organizing phase. To ensure the correct need is defined, I would ask if we are defining the purpose behind what the team is planning on doing;I would ask the stakeholders what success they expect from the project; and,what issues/concerns were present that caused people to feel that these issues needed to be addressed. Answering these questions would probably prevent not addressing the true underlying need to begin with.

Pearl,

Thank you for your well thought out response and I think your questions are excellent! Keep asking these type of questions as that will help ensure your future success with projects.

Dr. Eric Goodman

I feel communication is the key to any success of a project being completed in a timely manner and being done accurately. Building a team with a group of experienced professionals to help on a project, is the way to assure having a good outcome to any project.

I feel the success of any project, depends on how well things were planned out...the right team for any project is of the up most importance. It will in the long run, save money and time.

Judy,

Excellent points about the importance of communication and building a team. I'm curious what specific approaches or techniques you've found helpful in terms of enhancing communication or building a team?

Dr. Eric Goodman

Judy,

So true! And planning is definitely critical along with the right team. Do you think that planning reflects the most important phase of project management?

Dr. Eric Goodman

To me, the Planning Stage is the most important. Being organized and having a good plan makes the other steps easier and more efficient. Poor or insufficient planning will make the project take longer, be more frustrating for those involved and risk unacceptable outcomes. Most team members will be more comfortable if they have a clear plan of attack.

Paul,

Great point about the importance of the planning stage! Any guidance on how to create a clear plan of attack based on your experience?

Dr. Eric Goodman

Open communication between project managers and team members make for a good outcome to any project. A team that works well together, will get the job done in a timely manner.

Excellent point and thanks Judy. You are right about communication and there is also something to be said about how a team works together and the trust they have of one another.

I believe the defining and organizing is the most important aspect as it acts as the guide for all future steps and allows for accountability as well as stating clear expectations of the project. Too many times projects are created on a whim and then are not given the full support as the scope of the work is not clearly defined and the need for the project is not championed.

David,

Great points about the need for defining and organizing. You mention the need for championing a project, so I'm wondering how you help ensure at happens?

Dr. Eric Goodman

All aspects are important but I believe that defining and organizing the project is the most important. It lays the foundation for the projects elements and reduces waste and saves time.

Kris,

Great point about the importance of defining projects! I'm wondering if you've found any approaches helpful in terms of defining a project?

Dr. Eric Goodman

I think it depends on the project and the team implementing it. Some projects will require considerably more planning and advanced thinking because their execution will face greater challanges either in technicality or in buy-in.

David,

Great point and you are right about it depending on the nature of the project. I'm wondering at what point though you are able to determine which areas will need more focus? Is there a particular way you analyze the project to decide?

Dr. Eric Goodman

I believe the most important part of the process is communication, specifically the communication of problems and set-backs. When these are not shared freely the entire project can become in jeopardy.

Lillian,

Thanks and is communication really a phase or does it cut across all of the phases?

Dr. Eric Goodman

I agree with most of the participants of this forum that all phases are important; however 'executing the project' seems to be the key to success. Executing the project will invariably end in meeting your goals. It may not meet budget or without risk but the project may still be completed.

This course helped me to identify my strengths and weaknesses in project management. My area of weakness could be in communicating results of the project to the rest of the team. Also in this process allowing the team members to make their own decisions when necessary and providing guidance/decisions when necessary. This self-realization also is a reason that I chose 'executing the project' as the most important to a project's success.

To me the project charter is very crucial. Without a well developed charter and the approval from stakeholders, the project manager will have a more difficult time fending off scope creep.

I am not an expert PM, but I have had some experience with poor project results. What I've learned is that without the foundation set, the project can wind up an expensive mess.

Sign In to comment