Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Robert,

There is no problem with your evaluation. If they need to demonstrated basic understanding and recognition that is appropriate. We don't need to apologize if the objectives of the course is to have basic understanding and recognition. Students to know have that time of knowledge before they can move to more complex learning.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I've used the subjective evaluations by way of forum posts and webquests. I also combine a mix of objective evaluations which appear as a quiz, midterm or final exam.

Steve,

I think that is a great evaluation strategy. You give your students a variety of ways to show their learning.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

In the courses I teach I use objective evaluations for testing. True/False for more of a common sense type of question. Multiple choice for questions that may have more than one answer. Matching questions to require a little more critical thinking. All of the above are good methods for assessment to meet the needs of all types of students. I also use subjective evaluations for assessments such as forums or actual assignments including WebQuests.

It does seem necessary to include objective evaluations, especially considering that billers and coders take a M/C test to become certified. It is also necessary to allow the students the opportunity to discuss what they have learned and what is important about it. This would come in the form of a subjective evaluation. Discussions could fall under the subjective evaluation criteria.
Sharon

Aaron,

I think these are great assessment strategies. Diverse assessment methods really give students multiple opportunities to demonstrate their learning.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sharon,

You have to look at your objectives to determine your assessments. Your students have to know certain terms and many times, that is better assessed through objective based evaluations. That is wholly appropriate.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I have written a lot of courses and I use both objective and subjective evaluations. Typically, I prepare discussion assignments and weekly assignments to be subjective and quizzes and exams either completely objective or a mix of objective and subjective questions.

Kurt

Kurt,

This is a great evaluation strategy. It give students multiple opportunities to show you what they have learned.
Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I work at a vocational school, and we consistently use both subjective and objective evaluations.

Objective tests, such as online quizzes and mid-term or final exams are used when evaluating understanding of general terms and concepts used throughout our program. For example, testing proper use of industry-standard measurements and vocabulary.

However, we also require students to complete a multi-media portfolio. In this process, the instructors work with students individually to determine if the sample of their work is what the instructor considers (given their professional industry experience) acceptable to move forward.

The evaluation of the portfolio includes both objective and subjective standards.

Eric ,

That sounds like a great strategy. Do you use rubrics to measure the portfolio?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Since my course is online, objective is used most for the ease of the computer to grade it. However, as the course gets more in depth, we have added essay questions that the instructor must review and grade AFTER the computer has graded the objective items. I like this, it does give us a chance to correct the essay and short answer and catch improper thinking the student may be having. I also like the objective type and have the assistance of the computer to help grade because it is not unusual to have 100 + students through 4 classes.

Alice,

Nice strategy! I agree the computer graded exams does make our workload easier so we can use subjective assessment in a more strategic way.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I use both. I prefer the open-ended questions because they reveal the true understanding of the student. On the other hand, the multiple choice questions allow you to test more of the material than the open-ended questions.

At the school in which I teach both Objective and Subjective evaluations are used.

Students are taught to utilize radio and TV equipment to put together projects. There are rules that apply to the basic use of equipment, which is where Objective evaluations are used. When completing projects, utilizing the equipment, is when Subjective evaluation comes into play.

Jonida,

That sounds like a great strategy. You want to give your students ample opportunity to show their learning and you can feel comfortable about meeting objectives.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

james,

Sounds like a plan, a good plan. Students need ample opportunities to show what they learned and what they can do.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

In the past, I have built many Objective evaluations (test). They are easier to load into test banks and produce quick test that can be graded by using minimum effort. Subjective in my opinion will make the student analyze the question and possibly give a better understanding to the level of knowledge. I always like to have this type of questioning during mid-terms or finals.

Much of my assessment is subjective in nature as the objectives of the course do not lend themselves to objective assessments. I find subjective difficult to grade as it is often hard to establish a rubric that meets all the needs of the assessment.

Antonio,

I agree you have to balance workload with your assessments. I subjective assessment means very little if you can't get around grading it and providing appropriate feedback.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment