Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Dr. Wilkinson,

In my courses, I have used both objective and subjective evaluations. In both cases, I have used a rubric since it effectively helps to measure outcomes for the students and the instructor.

On another note, contrary to popular belief, multiple choice questions can be challenging at times when choices are “very close”. As a result, critical thinking skills are used by the students to answer questions.

-Khal

Hello,

In my courses I use both objective evaluations and subjective evaluations. In the objective evaluations the students are typically provided with a multiple choice assessment. I have provided subjective evaluations in the form of essays and problem solving assessments. I find that it is important to have both types of assessments in the classroom. I feel that the subjective evaluations use more critical thinking skills and the students are applying the concepts that are learned in the class. The objective evaluations assists with quickly determining if the students are understanding the objectives.

Warm Regards,
Annabel

Sarah,
I agree with you. I also like to see students articulate their learning through their words. They seem to make better connection with their experiences and previous learning.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Jennifer,

How do you use the output? You are right, it is based on the learning objectives.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Khal,

You are right about multiple choice. They must be written well. Creating a good assessment tool takes time and thought. I don't we always give it the time and effort evaluation deserves.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Annabel,

You have great evaluation strategies. It provides students with multiple ways to show their learning. That is so important.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I believe that the best way to assess student learning is through subjective evaluations. You can provide a student with a multiple choice exam and they can guess through the whole thing, and you would never know. However, if you provide students with an open ended response question or set of questions, guessing can become impossible for the student. Or, if the student does guess, the teacher can tell. The problems with subjective evaluations are that they are time consuming for the teacher when grading, because every response must be read and critically evaluated; and every grade must be thoroughly explained. Consequently, teachers who provide all subjective evaluations should be paid more. :)

I use objective evaluations true/false and multiple choice for medical terms and meanings, healthcare insurance terms and meanings, and ICD-9 and CPT-4 coding scenarios. For students’ to understand the course contents, students’ complete practice exercises, attend test prep live labs, read certain chapter pages, and are tutored . By using the above learning resources, several students’ successfully pass their weekly assessments and assignments. As for subjective evaluations, students’ are able to share their personal point of view regarding an assigned essay topic which allows me the Instructor to see how they utilize their critical thinking skills.

Sabrina S.

Sabrina,

You have a very sound assessment plan. Your students must know those terms and meanings so objective evaluation is the most efficient way to assess that.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I use a combination of multiple choice and true/false. I think it is best to combine each of the options.

Since the majority of my courses are online, I have mainly used the objective evaluations. Although, I do use subjective evaluations in the discussion portion of the courses. I think the discussion would be considered subjective due to needing instructors input and response to the learners thoughts and opinions.

Valerie Miller

Cristy,

I agree, do you use subjective questions?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Valerie,

You have a great strategy for assessment. It is so important to give students multiple ways to show what they know or what they can do.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

In my course I use objective assessment to evaluate the student's general knowledge of the course materials for the week and the weekly readings. Basically what does the student know as a whole about the course content?

I use such subjective assessment to evaluate the student's knowledge on a specific course topic in which they are able to give details and apply what they have learned. Heretic am looking for the specifics.
Thank you

Kimberley,

You are a good strategies to use both types of evaluations to make sure you know what students know. That is the secret.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

My classes include both objective and subjective evaluations. Each evaluation has a vital place in the learning process because of the strengths of each type of evaluation. However, I find that students struggle more with the subjective evaluations (i.e. essays questions, discussion board topics) because of the critical thinking and communication skills involved. A student may struggle due to lack of ability to think and communicate effectively, or may not be so motivated to make the effort. I have noticed that students fall in one camp or another. My students (generally) score well in the objective evaluations (i.e multiple choice, true/false), most likely due to the need to regurgitate facts rather than express thoughts regarding the facts in writing.

I think there should be a equal amount of both. Yes the Objective ones are easier to grade but a a student can just memorize facts to pass the test and forget them later. The subjective ones sees if the student understands the material and can explain it. I think you should use subjective questions on very important content.

I have used all types of objective and subjective evaluations in courses I have taught online. In general, there is more focus on essays and open-ended questions to assess critical thinking (evaluation/assessment/analysis) in graduate level courses vs. more multiple choice/matching/TF assessments in undergraduate level courses. I believe this is appropriate, but not exclusive. We need the undergraduate baseline levels of knowledge to be assured before going to an application/analysis/evaluation level. Eric

If we keep the evaluations simple with open ended questions the students are able to be more precise on certain things

In the past few months I have used objective evaluations on many quizzes and weekly tests. Which will measure how the student retained the information thus far. On the subjective part I will post questions to see what the student are thinking or to pull more information to make them think deeper about materials in discussion.

Sign In to comment