Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

When evaluating students, I have used a combination of true/false, multiple choice and essay questions.

I do not use objective assessments. They do not evaluate as well as subjective assessments.

Brian,

I think it is a hybrid. It works for you and it measures what you need to measure and that is what is important.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Katrina,

How do you grade them? Do you use a rubric?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Tomi,
That is a great assessment strategy. How do you grade them to ensure consistency ?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Tomi,

Subjective evaluations can be harder to grade for instructors. What is your grading strategy?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Tomi,

I use the testing function in my LMS that grades my multiple choice questions for me. It speeds up the grading process and gives students almost immediate feedback.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Terry,

As long as all levels of Bloom's taxonomy is needed to achieve objectives. You want to match questions (either subjective and/or objective) to measure the objectives.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Tami,

Interesting assignment. How do you ensure grading consistency.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Colette,

Don't you think that works well for a diverse group of students?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Bruce,

That really depends on what you are trying to assess. The objectives of the unit and the course should drive the type of evaluation.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Hello Kelly and everyone,

In my course, I use both objective evaluations and subjective evaluations. I like to use multiple choice questions for evaluations. However, I like to integrate also some problem solving questions in my tests where the students need to show their work so that they demonstrate their understanding and how they obtain the correct solution to receive full credit. A partial credit can be assigned for students who their work demonstrate partial understanding.

Eman,

That is a good strategy. It gives students multiple ways to demonstrate their learning.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Depending on the subject matter I could use all types during a course. Small group problem solving is one of my favorites. It is important though, to make sure everyone participates.

Jacquilin,

I love that you use small group problem solving in an online course! That would be so powerful for all.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Hi Dr. Wilkinson,

I use both (objective and selective) evaluations in my course. I find that when you offer a combination, it allows a student a better opportunity to demonstrate their knowledge and master of subject content. Some students freeze up when taking a test. They might know the answers but when the exam is essay only, it might be hard for them remember information and facts but when using true/false, multiple choice, and matching format, seeing the answer options listed, can reinforce and trigger the brain to recall the leaned material and select the correct answer.

Kimberly,

Great strategies. You are right, it does give students ample opportunity to show their learning. That is important.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

In my class, a combination of both objective and subjective evaluations are used. There is a objective test to include multiple choice, true/false, matching, and some fill in the blanks. Open-ended questions that require an essay formatted response are also used so that the student can provide information to show their understanding of the material.

Twyla Arnold

I've used all of these evaluation at one time or another, but now my school focuses on multiple choice exams and quizzes. For a school preparing a student for entry level positions, the multiple choice will show whether he/she has a basic understanding and recognition of the material. While I personally think a short-answer or short-essay shows a student's "understanding" of the material, or their ability to apply a theory or concept, it can also expose weaknesses the student may have...not in understanding the material necessarily, but in being able to express it adequately.

Twyla ,

I agree with you. When you use multiple types of evaluations, students have multiple opportunities to show their skills and/or knowledge.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment