Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Josh,

These are good strategies. I understand your feeling about objective evaluations. Good objectives questions are tough to write. I do think using both give students ample opportunities to demonstrate learning.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

The school I work for prepares the tests for students. Each week, the student takes an objective evaluation consisting of multiple choice questions. Subjective evaluations are also included in the form of essays. I provide students with a rubric that includes "possible" points for specifics of the essay prior to writing the essay. My feedback also addresses points deducted and the reason for the point deducted.

Diana,

These are great strategies. Don't you think rubrics are the key to help students and instructors with assessment being meaningful?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

With my current online course the evaluations are objective and on a weekly basis. Each Objective Evaluation is based on a video that the student watches and then takes the quiz. A study guide is provided for the student to use while watching the video.

Subjective evaluations for my course could be considered the final project, the culmination of all the knowledge gained.

Heather,

So you you design your tests or are they designed for you? You seemed to have the course well designed and ready for student learning.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I personally use a blend of all these examples for objective evaluations. I have found that using all these tools helps to keep students focused and also demonstrates their attention to detail.

I also use essays in my courses as this helps to demonstrate higher-level learning. Even more than rote memorization, students need to show ownership of the information and an ability to apply it in a meaningful way. These days, anyone can look up an answer.

Christopher,

This is a great strategy. You to have to expect more from your students and hold them accountable. Using a variety of assessment tools allows them to show you their strengths and their weaknesses.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

As most of us are probably aware there isn't any one concrete answer to the best type of evaluation method as it genuinely does depend on the course type, however, I find that subject evaluations does let an instructor understand the students perspective (not basing on the Rubric) or insight on how they think. There should always be a Rubric to assist both the instructor and student for subjective evaluations but objective evaluations are nice to incorporate for quizzes and assessing the formative aspect of class, therefore, both methods are applicable when teaching.

Michael,

I agree with you. Both have purposes regarding assessment and all can be used in concert with each other.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I have been using objective assessment tools such as true/false, multiple choice, and matching questions to assess students on the depth of their understanding of the content relative to desired course objectives. It is also equally important to assess students on their higher thinking skills and in this context. Using open-ended questions in discussion threads, I challenge them on the application of factual knowledge to extend the discussion and to determine if they can dig deep into the subject to answer them creatively. Thanks

I'm afraid I didn't quite grasp one of the questions in Quiz three.

It states:
Which of the following assessment(s) is/are considered subjective assessments?

Since subjective assessments can be unstable and biased, wouldn't the essay answer be the best?

Chander,

That is a great strategy. I do think a variety of assessments challenges the student as well as develops deeper appreciation for the content.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Christina,

Why would subjective assessment be unstable and biased? They are if they are not written correctly or there isn't a criteria use to grade that item using a checklist or rubric. Also, an essay is considered a subjective item.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Yes we use evaluations in our school. Many students do not take the time to fill them out and give feedback.

Stacy,

How do you assess your students for your courses?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I uses objective evaluations to check for basic knowledge such as definitions.

Subjective exams are used to evaluate critical thinking components.

Jeremy,

I agree with you. I think we use both to make sure we have a complete assessment

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I personally love subjective evaluations, but I am told to use objective. The subjectives evaluations give me the ability to see what the student really understands and also to allow them to think out of the box a little bit. I teach a trade as well as education courses so that the thinking outside the box allows me to see if there are new and interesting thoughts. In the trade courses it also allows me to correct some pretty interesting choices the students make in explaining tasks.

The reason administration wants us to use objective assessments over subjective is that there is automated grading and there is a definite right or wrong answer. It has it's plusses as well.

-Chris

I use both, however I prefer the use of use objective evaluations as chapter review. I use subjective evaluations in discussions and in my instructor labs.

I have used open-ended questions such as essays in my course. It allows my students to think and create a discussion about the subject matter rather then just stating the answer and getting a score. I find that it creates a multiple way of thinking and this type of subjective evaluation gives me a better conclusion to how they found there answer and what they did to get it.

Sign In to comment