Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Cassie,

Yes, changing it up is good. And, it helps those who may not be good test takers to have different ways to express what they do know. Keep up the good work.

I have used a mix of both essays as well as multiple choice questions for my assessments.I want to make sure the students are grasping and understanding the information, so I try to have open-ended questions/essays where the student can tell me in their own words what they got out of the information that was read or learned.

Mandy,

do you think that is a more secure way of testing?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I used a combination of all of them. There are weekly assessments (25 questions) that are true/false and multiple choice as well matching questions. I also have weekly assignments that require the student to write a 1 page essay over a specific topic that was covered during the week.

Charlene,

Great answer! It appears you use a variety of assessment tools.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I have to use subjective evaluations. For scientific courses, it is not very feasible to use objective evaluations. In particular, for advanced courses. We have to test students' problem solving skills. A correct final answer does not automatically mean full credit. On the other hand, an incorrect answer may still receive partial or most of credit if the student showed an meaningful procedure of solving the problem.

Wanpeng,

But you do grade process as well as product. Nice!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I use short-answer for definitive, objective assessments, and these are usually in written form. My formative, subjective assessments are generally open for more discussion from the students.

Gene,

That is a great way to use those assessments.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

In my courses, I follow guidelines which only allow for the use subjective evaluations. Students produce essays and papers which include answers to open ended questions, as well as extensive discussion on learning objectives. A grading rubric is used as a guide to help me evaluate the student's comprehension.

Cheryl,

Do you create your own rubrics? You you have clear expectations of your students. That is the key.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I do not create my own rubrics. They are provided for instructors, which is great. There are times when I feel that particular rubrics are too general in their grading criteria. At the end of the course, I will make suggestions to faculty chairs.

Cheryl,

Interesting, what do you think is missing from the rubrics that you are provided? What would you do differently?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Depending on which Accounting course I am teaching, I use a mix of Objective and Subjective evaluations. In an Introduction to Accounting course, I use more objective assessment techniques to ensure that the students are learning the terms. In later courses, I use objective and subjective techniques to ensure that the students are gaining an understanding of real-world application.

Stacy,

Yes! Those are appropriate. It should reflect your objectives.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

In some courses I like using subjective evaluations like essay questions.

The student will have to give details which support the broader understanding of the topic.

I then score the answer based on organization, logic, and thoroughness of the student's response and if they can tie their understanding to a real life application.

I also use a mix and think that it provides a range of options in terms of how best to collectively assess student's learning abilities.

I have used both objective and subjective. In teaching Theatre History, some facts need to be known by students, but they also need to analyze and interpret the dramatic literature of the historical periods.

Doug,

Which evaluation works best in your online course?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Dania,

Good! Do you grade for punctuation and grammar when you use essay. (Inquiring minds want to know :))

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment