Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Jolly,

True! both are very important and should reflect the outcomes or objectives. Good answer!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Trista,

It is interesting that you used the statement "what a student wants to know" I wasn't sure about it until I continued to read your post. That is an interesting way to put feedback! I like it.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Jack,

You couldn't have said it any better! that is what assessment does!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

BRIGITTE ,

You added an added dimension to the discussion; what do students come to us knowing about the content or skill. Good point!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Kelly,
Thank you very much.

Janis,

Great answer. That is a great use of Bloom's to make sure that students are learning and using the knowledge that is expected based on the objectives.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Joni,

Great answer. Being able to use the information appropriate should be part of the assessment.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Chastity,

You make a great point. One assessment does not make a complete assessment. There must be multiple assessments that to ensure mastery of a subject.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Casey,

You make a great point! Timing is everything. We know that we have to make sure that the assessment reflects the objectives but we don't always think about the timing.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Christen,

Agree! If you need certain objectives in a certain environment, it is imperative that the assessment take that into account also.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Joel,

yes,, I agree but shouldn't you also look to see to what extent students know the content? Is is mastery? Emerging?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Joel,

I think it depends. I have friends that are adamant that students know theory and those assessments tend to be more objective.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

MeriAnn,

I agree! I would also add that how much students are learning can be more of a continuum. With that, how well do they know.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Robert,

I like how you say "understand its reasoning". That may be the difference between emerging understanding and mastery. Good answer.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Robert,
Yes, if they know the content, and can apply it in multiple ways, that is mastery ( and good assessment)

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Jennifer,

I think it is important that we take time for students to reflect in the online environment. I like your idea on the "improve the idea" Idea :)

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Jennifer,

You make a great point. Looking at how they use (or don't use) the tools is a type of assessment. Assessment should be a collage of items.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Lindsey,

True! Also, can they use the content in a variety of settings. Yes, you want more than memorization if the objectives require more.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Dr. Glenn ,

I like your comment, "using assessment to connect students to reality." You make a great comment about point value. That does give students indication of importance.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Kenya,

I think we have to be careful when we say did they achieve competency and that alone. Can you consider it mastery or is it emerging. . . just some thoughts.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment