Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I believe the TWO most important things to consider -

1. Consider whether or not there is too much material for a summative assessment - the student may not be successful if there is.

2. Consider using Bloom's Taxonomy as a way to measuring learning via analyzing, recalling, evaluating, etc.

Dr. Janis McFaul

1st consideration: when using summative assessments: was the instructor able to impart knowledge to the students which is measurable by the grade the student earns,

2nd consideration: can the student utilize the knowledge learned to real life (world) situations, this is assessed in the skills competencies conducted by the instructor.

True, Jolly ~ reliability and validity are indeed important when "conducting" summative assessments. While the course input correctly indicated that almost all valid assessments are consequently reliable, it is still equally important to determine the presence of both in an assessment.

In regard to summative assessments:
1. It is very important to ensure that the assessment is written in a way that will allow the student to include all (or most) of the material that is being measured.

2. I also believe curriculum should be designed to offer a variety of assessment types so that students who have different learning styles have opportunities to demonstrate “mastery of the business concepts.”

On a more personal level, I use summative assessments to gauge when I need to make changes to my instruction and/or lesson-planning. I do “exit interviews” with my top 2 and lowest 2 performing students in order to determine some specific things I should and should not do for the next class.

I think the first thing to consider is what were the learning outcomes that the student was supposed to obtain. If you haven't clearly identified the learning outcomes, you won't be able to truly asssess what the student does or doesn't know. The second most important thing is when to conduct the assessment. If you conduct the assessment too late in the learning process without formative assessments, the instructor may be trying to assess too much information and it will have a negative impact on the student.

I believe the most important things for the course I teach (Presentation Essentials) are first, are the students able to give a presentation at a professional or close to a professional level, in other words, are they creating content that is suitable for a workplace environment. Second, do they have an understanding of how to develop the presentation at a professional level.

When teaching any skill that is going to be used in a work environment, I think these two things are key.

Professor Christen Embry
AIU Online - PRES111

The two most important things to consider when conducting summative assessments are:

1. What the student learned/attained
2. What should the student work on to make improvements

In Theatre Arts, are the students graded more on a subjective level (verses objective)? Just curious.

I think that the two most important things are:
-Did the student understand the content that was given to them?
-Can the student use the content as designed in their real world experiences?

I like how you talk about what they need to improve on. That can be important for both the student as well as the instructor when evaluating content.

When conducting summative assessments, what do you believe are the two most important things to consider?

1. have they grasped the concept and show they understand its reasoning
2. can they replicate it in real work situations.

In teaching finance, if they can't replicate it and use it in real situations, I have not done enough to communicate it.

I agree with the real-world situation- if they think they will never use it or its just practice for something they will never do/use, it becomes useless. The more practical we can be the better in all topics or I find they disconnect.

When conducting summative assessments, what do you believe are the two most important things to consider?

Did the student address the assignment or project with enough background information and did they approach it with all the tools I have provided them with. I usually do online chats with a combination of both lecture of background information, then on tips of the assignment and extra tools to refer to. if I see they have not used either of these, especially online, I can see they did not listen to the chats. In this case, all I can hope is that the assignment is as explanatory and complete as possible.

I like the "improve idea" as well and use this in class where I have my students re-assess their projects and group efforts after I have assessed them. It gives them some time for self reflection, which is not the last day of hte course where I would then never hav ethe chance to re-visit it. Online unfortunately doesn't offer me this opportunity however with the tight deadlines.

Two important things to consider are:

1) Does the assessment adequately measure the learning objectives of the course?

2) does the student response adequately display learning and understanding or have they simply memorized facts and phrases?

1. Summative feedback must be constructive to connect to the students reality.

2. Student reality must be connected to the summative feedback to expect improvement.

When providing summative feedback the process must integrate examples to demonstrate to the student where improvement is required.

The examples must be clearly connected to point values to clarify to the student the reasons for deductions.

While this is summative assessment, the formative assessment practices prepare the student to review and accept the summative feedback objectively.

Every student is sincere in what is submitted for work. They are not always objective. Proper use of formative assessment prepares the student to learn from the summative feedback with revised learning habits.

The two things to consider are:

Did the student achieve his/her competency?
If the student did not achieve their competency what can be done to help the student improve.

A good summative assessment should consider the following 2 points:
1) Does this assessment fairly judge students' knowledge of the materials? In other words, do the results show students knowledge of the materials, or ability to take tests? This important because many tests can be passed with without truly comprehension of the materials. I personally passed many tests relying solely on my logic and memory to get me through.

2) Does this assessment ask questions that are relevant to the topics of the course. Sometimes, faculty ask questions that are insignificant in the broad spectrum of the topic. These small tidbits of knowledge are then judged equally in importance as major concepts. That is wrong, in my opinion.

Did the student gain the knowledge that was outlined in the course objectives? Can the student apply that information to real-life situations? It is easier to evaluate if the student met the course objectives through online testing, but it is very challenging to asses whether or not the student can now apply the information.

The two most important things to consider when conducting summative asessments are 1)whether the student has learned what was expected in the unit; what is their level of mastery, and 2)can this knowledge be applied to real-world situations.

In a course that I currently teach, the unit paper has two parts to it. The first part is research-based and requires the students to demonstrate their mastery of the unit's readings/research. The second part is application based and requires the students to apply that information to real-world scenarios.

Some students are proficient on both parts while some demonstrate mastery of one but not the other. Being able to synthesize what was learned through reading and research and then apply that knowledge is not an easy task for some. They are better with the concrete than the abstract.

Sign In to comment