Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I believe first and foremost, is the chosen technology appropriate to be able to assess and provide proper feedback?

How did the tool affect the assessment?

Obtain feedback which may improve the process.

Michael,

It is frustrating revamping a course. did you look at what the publisher offers in terms of interactivity? It takes time to develop a robust course particularly when there are high expectations regarding technology and learning.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Michael,

You make some really interesting comments. Improvement is really hard to support when the grading scheme designed for specific goals.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Michael,

I too teach a writing course and you are right that they don't really appreciate the skill until they graduate. In fact alumni support the writing course whole heartily . I would do a couple of things; I would ask alumni to record their views of the needs of writing as applied to their job. Just a thought. . .

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Edwin,

Great points, you can record your voice as it is amazing how hearing a voice can ease anxiety.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Michael,

I will try it too. Don't you love it when you get practical tidbits to use in a class!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Michael,

I would have them to create a personal page that people can share about themselves. Many learning management systems have this ability but you can always use the web tools with word press that will help develop their personal pages. Also, can put your online students in groups and have them facilitate a discussion then report out to the rest of the group. You can rotate those groups throughout the the learning period.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Doug,

True, How do you assess for success?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

The three most important things I believe that are necessary to consider for the use of technology assessment tools are:

1) ease of use
2) effectiveness
3) result output

If a tool is not simple to use, then students will find excuses not to use it and it will detract from the learning process. If the answers provided do not give the needed information to adjust and make the class better moving forward, then the assessment wasn't worth the effort. The result output is more of a format question. If memorization is the goal for certain topics, then multiple choice assessments can be the best method for evaluation -- the use of software to aid in grading can allow instructors to concentrate time on covering material that was not fully understood instead of grading essay questions, for example.

Kendra,

True! The use of tools provided by publisher provide that aids in grading is so smart!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

First the student population you have, then their abilities,then how can I match what I need to teach them with what varous tools I have available, lastley make sure the student understands what is necessary to be accomplished

Gwendolyn,

Good answer. Orientations can make this transition better!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

When assessing the use of technology assessment tools in an online learning environment, what I believe and I have not had the pleasure of teaching in this environment, but first I would like to think it would be crucial for me to understand the specific functions of the technology to meet my needs and then the needs of the students and second the effectiveness of the technology.

Dell,

This is a good start. You need to determine best tool for best task. We need to make sure that we use the most effective tool. I can still hammer a nail in a wall with a screwdriver, although there is a tool more efficient to do the job! :)

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Technology has a lot of uses in the classroom and the potential is “virtually” unlimited. One of the things that should be considered when considering assessments is that the tool measures what it is supposed to measure. The needs assessment is important in learning as in training in the workplace, and the goals of the training must be clearly laid out. The material presented should be in such a way that it can be measured in terms of the results of the training/instruction and the impact of that on the student. The materials that I refer to here can be those provided by the instructor, from online resources, and from students’ experience. The quality of the assessment methods must also be a consideration.

The second consideration is how students learn. I have seen articles that address up to seven learning styles that include visual, auditory, verbal, hands on, logical, interpersonal for social students, and then intrapersonal for those who would rather work alone. This latter category of styles is more common than I would have thought in the online learning environment. I use a group project in some of my classes and there are students who cringe as “group week” draws near. I consider the possibility and practicality of the group in the work environment as well as it being a neat way for students to interact. I have found that many students pursue an online education to avoid just that. There is the consideration of access as well. We assume that online students have access to computers, obviously. I have encountered issues with some platforms that do not support the application I want to use. This happened recently with Android technology not accepting Adobe Acrobat which is needed for the online chat. There are also accommodation issues of students that we must be aware of.

The third consideration that I think might rate number one, actually, is that the instructor must be well-versed (i.e., the “expert’) in the application. If the instructor does not understand it and cannot undo the technical glitches, then that tool will certainly be quite a challenge to the student. The flip side here is that students must know how to use the technological tools that they are provided. We must be careful in the use of whistles and bells and not overwhelm (or over stimulate) students. Our tools must facilitate the students’ interaction, hence easy to use (and I think they should be fun as well.)

You need to consider the following:

1. Learning outcomes that the assessment tools are targeted to measure.

2. The feasibility of the assessment tool to be delivered effectively in the online environment

3. Direct correlation of the assessment tools to the course objectives and learner activities

George,

I think you have some great points! I think we do have to be careful that we don't get "sucked in" to new technology without determining if it improves learning or makes learning more efficient. good points.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Beverly,

Wow, you are "right on the money". I do think sometimes we forget the your #3.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

The first point is that the student should master the technology and not be afraid of it.
The second point is that the student should undertand the question asked.
The third point is that the tool should be valid. That means that the tool should measure what it is supposed to measure.

We might do it synchronously or not.
There might some cases in which speed is relevant. Generally understanding the concepts is much important.

Sign In to comment