Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

There are many things to consider in regards to using differing technology assessment tools. As an online instructor for the last 3 years, I've been privy to be involved in some changes. I would definitely consider the student-base--are the students devoting enough time to take online multiple choice tests? Most online institutions are allowing students to take tests multiple times during the assessment period because there is certainly a direct correlation and final grade proportional to the number of times the student takes exams (in the majority of cases). It's also important to utilize the appropriate assessment technology according to the type of course. For example, Biology labs are time consuming, requiring extensive lab material and in most cases need instructor guidance to complete labs in a timely and efficient manner--so it would be extremely difficult to assign a natural science online lab unless material was minimized and instructions were simple. Currently most LMS formats use multiple choice and T/F based formats, but I would like to see more short answer curricula incorporated.

One key item is the ability to use the actual tool. A good understanding may have to be developed.
Another needed item is the availability of tutorials on the use.
A side item...is that often students will not have the hardware to make their online experience a positive one.
Any additional thoughts or experiences on the hardware issue?

John,

Truly I am surprised when I hear institutions allow students to take courses knowing their students to not have direct or regular access to technology. This is the greatest barrier to online learning. How can the experience be positive when the student is running around trying to find a computer to use. We don't want to begin by setting students up for failure.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I think that there are 3 things that are most important in the assessment process. First, it must be user friendly. Students and instructors must be comfortable with the assessment platform. The second thing is that as an instructor I must be able to provide valuable feedback to my students on their assignments. Third I must have a system that allows me to effectively gauge how well students have grasped and mastered the learning objectives. I personally like the track changes option for project based assignments. It’s user-friendly, allows me to provide valuable and substantive feedback and add value to the document.

Helena,

Great post. I agree with you. It has to be user friend for everyone. I would also add that you can get the information regarding student learning from the technology It may be easy to use for the student an easy to input but no data, this is a problem.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

As a writing instructor, I think I have a slightly different approach to this. Writing is despised by so many people, but it is an essential form of communication. The most important thing to consider is that all assessments should be learning tools for students.

First, students who are not strong in grammar struggle with online tests/quizzes. For so many of them, they don't notice the subtle differences in punctuation placement or verb forms. Because of this, I see many of my struggling students despise these assessment tools.

Being able to add comments to my students' essays is the most helpful tool for my students. This allows them to see what I mean when I say there are comma splices, for example. This is very time consuming for me, however. I wish I was able to do this for every student and every essay submitted, but because I still need to give feedback in the grade using the language of the rubric, there just aren't enough hours.

The last assessment tool I find helpful is the use of a rubric. Too often students feel like a magic wand is waved and a point total appears on the essay. This doesn't help to get them to understand their strengths and weaknesses, let alone get them to improve. By having a proficiency-based rubric, students can assess their skills by what they have demonstrated in the essay.

Lindsay,

I understand what you are saying. You really need several strategies when using technology assessment tools. I too teach a writing course and I actually use video capture to review the paper using audio grading . I talk through the paper and make electronic comments. Students love it.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment