Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hello Dr. Wilkinson ,

There are many technologies designed assessment in an online environment. Some of them are Digital Portfolio, Online Quizzes and Tests and Virtual Labs and Simulations.

Each of these tools must be assessed by the instructors to make sure the selected method is effective to use and consistency in assessing student learning.

Instructor must ensure whether or the technology assessment tools helped the him/her in providing meaningful feedback to the students.

When selecting specific technologies, it is very important to ensure the technology can function accordingly. Selecting the proper technology tool and understanding its function before attempting so create an assessment is essential, to make certain students can access the assessment and receive proper feedback in a timely fashion.

As technology tools help in the assessment process, it is important to identify the pros and cons for each type of tool. Without doing so, the wrong tool may be chosen and the assessment process becomes overwhelming or does not produce the necessary feedback.
When the instructor review the course learning outcomes/objectives, the assessment type should match the learning outcome/objective of the course.

Dr. Raouf Moussa

MARIE,

I agree with you. You want to make sure students are comfortable with the technology. It amazes me how many of our high stakes tests are given with technology students have never used. Oh the anxiety!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

MARIE,

How awful for a student who may have anxiety about a test then not have the software or application that works. We as instructors must do our homework regarding the technology and even that can come back to "bite" us.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Raouf ,

tT is important to make sure that you do get the proper feedback. It is so important to make sure it assesses what it is suppose to assess. Assessing technology assessment tools is more complex if done right.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I agree with you Nicole. If the student does not have the equipment to use the online assessment tools then he will not benefit from them.

Thank you Dr. Wilkinson for your feedback.

Jonida,

Yes, but why would they not? I am continually surprised at students who register for online courses without access to technology then want accommodations regarding their work. This is a barrier to learning!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I think 3 of the most important things to consider when using the assessment tools online is whether or not it's user-friendly. Sometimes these tools are a bit complicated which makes it frustrated for the user. Another thing to consider is if these tools are capable to the user's computer. Last I think it's important to know whether or not the user is clear on the expectations. As online instructors we have to work independently and that's sometimes a barrier when no one is around to answer questions.

There are several things that come to mind.
1. Technology should NOT be browser specific. I have this issue with a software I currently teach.
2. Learning curve should not intimidate the student.
3. You don’t necessarily have to use every tool in a piece of software just because it is there, it must support an educational lesson and must not hinder the student’s ability to learn.

I think it is important to consider the content of the course, the maturity of the learner, and the importance of the assessment. Sometimes assessments are only necessary to help the learner review and are low stakes in nature. A multiple choice review quiz would be great to review content for this. However, to reach higher levels, you need to push a learner outside of their comfort zone. In this situation, portfolios may be more appropriate to assess knowledge acquisition.

Kimberly,

Great post! You are right on all three. You want to make sure that you and the student can use it and it assesses what it suppose to assess.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Antonio,

You make great points. Technology should be platform agnostic (I love that term). You want the student to spend time learning the content not fighting the barrier of technology.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sheila,

That is true, the variables you mentioned must be considered to design an appropriate assessment. You want to give them ample opportunity to show their knowledge and/or skill. I do think we have to be very careful about deferring the students learning style. You really want a student to be able to learn in a variety of ways. Learning should be uncomfortable to an extent.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

There are several things to considered. The objectives, student body, and platform all must be considered.

Paula,

What do you mean student body? How does that play a role in your assessment tools? What is platform. Please elaborate.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

When assessing the use of technology assessment tools in an online learning environment, the three most important things to consider: whether the tool is appropriate assess the learning objective, it the students are able to utilize the tool, and whether the tool provides the proper feedback to the student.

Sharon,

Great post! You have named important considerations for an assessment tool. I would add on more thing, proper feedback to the instructor. I have seen technology that I couldn't get data out of regarding student learning. It was so frustrating.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Dr. Wilkinson, I have posted a response to this question.

Hello. The three most important things to consider are that 1) the technology is easy to use, 2) there is a technical support staff to assist with any technological problems, and 3) it has been in existence for awhile. If the tool is fairly new, it may not have been sufficiently tested to see if it works correctly.

Regards,
John Halstead

John,
What a great post! I really appreciate your comment about is there help either on campus or with the technology that can assist students. I have found at times no one on campus can help me with a technology the technology team implemented!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment