Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have just a small comment about communication between students. When teaching online, as on ground, I believe instuctors should hold true to their ethical principals concerning student evaluation. I personally feel group projects and discussion are a wonderful, and necessary, component of learning. However (big pause)... I feel it is highly unethical to have students "assess" other students. Furthermore, besides going against my personal ethics, it might represent a breach of the FERPA contract we have with our students.

Dr. Williamson, I believe that knowledge based assessments, performance based assessments, and project based assessments would be the three most important things to consider. I think that students' do expect to have quizzes and exams to measure their performance, this derives from traditional education and has proven to be successful. Additionally, any group projects presented online provides a forum for students' to demonstrate the knowledge derived from the course and allows the instructor to assess students' ability to work in groups/teams which will help them learn how to interact in the "real world."

Jack, I agree with you. However, how do you assist student's who are afraid of technology? I have found that there are some student's who can hinder their progress when they do not understand how to manuever the virtual campus. I have been clearly frustrated when a student constantly inquires as to how to access information, especially,if I have addressed much information in chats and the announcements and have offered to meet with them individually.

to Tina Tingle,
to assist students who are afraid of technology, you have to work very slowly: one step at the time. Just start from the very beginning.
Either the student will get it, or he/she will give up.
I have come to this conclusion (a not very popular but a realistic one): Not everybody is qualifed to get an acadmic degree, and of those who are qualifed, not everybody can do it on line.
I have even met colleagues who were not capable of teaching on line.

I believe the three most important things to consider when assessing the use of technology-assessment tools in an online-learning environment are:

1. The relevance of the tools to the class and its students

2. The effectiveness of the tools in actually evaluating student learning

3. The feedback from students on their impression of the relevance and effectiveness of the chosen tools

If an instructor believes that the tool is relevant and effective but students believe the technology is too advanced or confusing, the tool will not be effective for either the student or the instructor.

Jack,

You make great points! Students do need to feel comfortable with the technology. Building successful usage can be the key.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Jack,

True! You may have to provide information in a variety of ways.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Jennifer ,

I think you make a valid point. We do have to be aware of how we don student assessment. I don't put total grades on students input. It may influence one way or another and I do peer review but grading is determined by me

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Jennifer ,

I think you make a valid point. We do have to be aware of how we don student assessment. I don't put total grades on students input. It may influence one way or another and I do peer review but grading is determined by me

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Tina,

Well said! A variety of assessment also provides students to "test" to their strengths. Good answer.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Tina,

I think you have a valid point. I too have had a student that used his/her inability to learn technology as a way of making me teach him/her one on one over the phone. That is neither efficient or effective.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Jack,

You are exactly right. Little success with technology lead to big successes!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Trista,

I like that you have students evaluate the effectiveness of the tools. There is nothing wrong with that!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Reliability: the assessment tool must be technologically adaptabile to multiple online platforms and standards, i.e., SCORM, AICC, LRN.

Relevance: the assessment tool must have the capability to create criterion referenced assessments; norm referenced assessments; and formative-based assessments.

Responsiveness: the assessment tool must be easily transported between different platforms (smartphones, smartpads, clouds) and easily updated and accessible.

Trista, FYI...effectiveness is a function of the design of the assessment, not technology. For example, criterion referenced assessments (RE: Ralph Mager) measures the attainment of the learning objective criterion statement(s). While technology can enhance accessibility and efficiency, it no more affects the assessment as does the truck delivering groceries to your local store affect your dietary habits.

Jolly,

What great answer! You really understand this, particularly the idea of reliability.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Jolly,

I agree! I think sometimes is is more our faulty regarding the effectiveness of a tool rather than the tool itself.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

When reflecting over the lesson concerning the use of technology tools in the online environment, there are three highlights I find imperative which comes to mind is consider the functionality of the technology, how well does the technology generate feedback and measure student performance, and what are the pro and cons of the technology?
In order to consider the functionality of particular technology I believe it important to consider what the educational objectives are. Without knowing what objectives and goals I wish to meet, I will not be able to begin to see how well certain technology systems will meet the need. Instructors needs to keep in mind that when choosing a management system and integrate new technology such needs to prove successful to both perform assessment and imitate real world systems to enhance students skills and individual performance to achieve student successes.
Another question an instructor must answer when obtaining new technology is how well does the technology system generate feedback? How well does it measure student performance? As seen in this module it is very important to gather information on effectiveness of course design, which is the basic technology platform. I believe it is important that instructors as well as students engage in surveys on effectiveness of technological online management systems to appropriately balance and analyze feedback. Because we are not all created the same it is important to evaluate student performance using a variety of methods as described throughout module one of this training course. Therefore, I am an advocator for a variety of learning styles and with this variety come different types of assessments. These typically range from knowledge-based assessments to real world applications, in-depth understanding, and critical thinking skills to foster higher level thinking skills.
The third category which come to mind is the pro and cons utilizing technology. While a technological platform may have many advantages, it has to be proper to met out the goal and objectives from the beginning. If the wrong tool is chosen, it may create quite a mess and to avoid costly mistakes it is important to evaluate choices. This is where surveys form faculty and students can be helpful in determining feedback of effectiveness of technological online management systems. It goes back to point one functionality. Does the functionality meet the desired educational objectives in a safe and friendly online environment?

I believe that the technology assessment tool needs to be user-friendly. I have had experience with a SIMULATION project in an online-classroom whereas students really had a difficult time understanding the requirements.
1. User-Friendly for Students
2. Concept/Application based on theory that they are studying
3. Time-sensitive

Janis

In our school we have the students come to campus on the first day of class to make sure that we are all on the same page and evryone knows how to use the equipment and access the system. If a student has difficulty our IT guys fix it right away. Then we are off and running. Having the students meet occasionally on campus is also a good way to touch base and make sure everyone is on the same page.

Sign In to comment