Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Weighing the pros and cons of each tool to prevent using the wrong tool would be important. Next, considering the connection between the assessment and course objectives would be important. Last, it would be important to consider the effectiveness of the tools.

Terry,

You make great points. All are so important, I would also add easy for the instructor to use.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Tami,

You make great points. You want the technology to measure the outcomes you are assessing, not how well students use the technology. The technology cannot be a barrier as assessment is too important.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Colette,

Great point. You want the assessment tool to be a good fit. You can't change the objectives to fit the assessment.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I ask myself the following questions before implementing a new technology assessment tool:
1. Will the students learn?
2. Will they learn in a meaningful way?
3. Will they take the knowledge learned and apply it to the their future knowledge?
4. Will they have fun doing it? In other words will they be actively engaged?

The three things would be:
1. do they have the technology aptitude for the course?
2. Do they have the actual technology available to them?
3. Are they disciplined enough to learn online?

One of the most important things to consider is whether the type of tool is going to allow measurement of the specific student learning outcome the course is designed to produce, and therefore the learning outcome the instructor trying to assess. For example, a written paper is a good assessment tool for evaluating a student's mastery of analysis. A verbal presentation is a good technology for evaluating student skills in persuasion.

A second important consideration is the functionality of the technology. The technology selected must be functional for the students involved, or alternatives must be provided. For example, online face to face chat technologies are useful for student presentations, but perhaps not functional for students who may be located in different time zones such that scheduled online presentations would occur at inconvenient times.
For such students, submission of recorded presentations would be a good alternative, and recording of the other students' presentations for later viewing would also be appropriate.

A third important consideration in selecting tools for assessment is the diversity of student learning styles. Some students may be more comfortable and successful with some types of technology used in connection with assessments than they are with other types of technology used in assessments. For example, students with significant ESL issues may be uncomfortable in live presentation assessments due to their language issues, but may be more comfortable with their written skills. Students with ESL issues may also be more comfortable with untimed assessments than with timed assessments. In addition, a variety of technologies used for different assessments can provide a better view of the overall learning outcomes of students. For example, having some timed assessments, as well as some untimed assessments, and having some essay type assessments as well as some multiple choice assessments would provide a more complete picture of student learning outcomes than using an individual assessment.

An additional important consideration in assessing the use of technology assessment tools in an online learning environment is the resource availability for providing meaningful feedback following the assessment. For example, students taking multiple choice assessments can receive instant feedback while economizing on resources. In contrast, using essay assessments or portfolio assessments requires more labor intensive feedback for students to benefit, and students who don't receive an appropriate level of feedback may be dissatisfied.

These are just some of the significant considerations in evaluating the use of different technology assessment tools in an online learning environment.

Dawn,

There is nothing wrong with fun! Fun and learning can work together. I like your list!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Bruce,

Wow, a great list. All are so important for success online. Do you have strategies to deal with these?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Carole,

What a great post. Assessment is not easy and can be complex. You want it to be meaningful toward individual student learning and to use it as an analytic for the course. Consideration of purpose and outcome must be thoroughly reviewed.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Hello Kelly and everyone,

The first thing to consider is how the assessment tool is effective and if any changes are needed to enhance the assessment process. Also, the students' feedback is important to be considered so that any changes to the assessment methods can be applied before using it another time the course is taught. Moreover, the instructor needs to judge the technology assessment tool himself/herself to decide if the tool assists him/her in providing meaningful feedback.

Eman,

Great observation. Yes, you should not have to completely revamp your assessment for the technology, the technology should adapt to the assessment. Also, you need to be able to get the data you need for assessment of your students and your teaching.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I like to consider what is in it for me, what is in it for my students, and the difficulty of implementation. I like to use the options that have had a positive impact in the past and then consider adding other elements. The classes that I teach are visually rich, and it is easy to look at images, so I have added video, audio, and online games to complement to education experience. These do not replace, but augment and suggest dimension and integrate texture. I also ask my students if what I am doing “works” for them or if it is too time consuming or not valuable—they are good at assessing their needs too. Finally, if the technology is complicated to use, requires additional hardware, or is replaces a functional aspect, I sometimes question its productivity. I am always looking to add technology that is not just visually-based.

Cally,

You are wise to ask if the technology is working for the students. That makes so much sense. I also track students access and usage of the technology through my LMS. I find that very handy.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I believe the most important is whether the tool improved I2S communication. Since f2f is rare in this environment, any type of tool must not only help in this area, but also conversely in S2I communication. The third most important would be
whether the student had any issues in using the tool. Whether expectations were made transparent, along with a "how to" guide on how to use the tool.

Robert,

Great post. You don't want the technology to be a barrier to student success. Students need to be able to use the technology effectively.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Relevance, ease of understanding, accurately measurement

Hi Dr. Wilkinson,

I think the three most important things to consider when assessing the use of technology assessment tools in an online learning environment are:

1. Can the student easily navigate the technology tool
2. Is the instructor knowledgeable enough to assist the student with using the assessment tool
3. Is the tool set up to effectively perform as designed or desired

I have found that number 1 is the most important because there are so many students who are returning to school after many years who have never used the computer. It takes a lot of time away from focusing on the coursework when the instructor has to teach navigation of the system at every assignment.

Twyla

Jacquilin,

These are great points, would also add the quality of output? I have had issues with this lately.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Hi Dr. Wilkinson,

With the student demographic that we have attending our school, computer and internet usage is a major problem. When enrolling in an online program, it is mandatory that you have both but from one week the next, a student might communicate that their computer is not working (virus) or their internet was disconnected. In saying this, I believe it is important that the student has the tools required to access the type of assessment chosen.

Are the students able to use the assessment tools? If the students are experiencing challenges, you might wonder if their work or scores are accurate. Did they become frustrated and didn’t do their best

It is important that the instructor is knowledgeable in using the assessment tools. If the instructor does not use the tools effectively then it would be hard to monitor student’s success or determine where additional help/learning is needed.

Sign In to comment