Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

An online learning environment can be frightening for some students, therefore it is imperative that the technology meets certain criteria
> appropriate for the course eg undergrad vs grad

>does this tool evaluate students performance?

>is the tool easily accessible

>does this tool measure the students performance?

This is well said. I do understand the importance of all that's said, but is there a cost factor anywhere? Any comparison when evaluating the needed technology?
Some insights please.
thank you.

when analyzing the technology assessment tools we need to study their pros and cons,the posibility of the students to have access to them and have proper feedback.

The first thing I think is most important for an online learning environment is a user friendly portal that not only delivers media effectively but also makes student interaction and class participation easier, painless, and flawless.
Second, the ability of the instructor to use the system correctly in order to deliver class content to student.
And third, the ability for interaction between the student-piers-instructors.

1-How easy is the tool to use?
2-Is the tool assessing what it is supose to asses?
3-What is student response to the tool?

Cassie,

These are all key factors. Technology should enhance the environment and not hinder the learning. Thanks!

I believe the three most important things to consider would be if the students are comfortable with using technology/computer savvy. So you would need for the tool to be user friendly.I also feel that it is important for the tool to accurately measure the objectives of the assignments.Lastly I would look to if if the technology tool can supply detailed feedback for correct/incorrect responses after completing a assessment.

Mandy,

You are correct! Students are always as tech savvy as they are portrayed in the media

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Technology familiarity of the student
Cost of technology for access
Opportunity to try again

I believe the most important items are determining which type of assessment tool most closely matches the desired effect for the learning outcome, the functionality available for the tool, and how the student will access it. The tool has to be user friendly for the student (as well as the instructor) to be able to maneuver through the system easily. The instructions for use must be precise but in plain laymen’s terms.
The tools I would choose for my classes would be a combination of a Knowledge-Based tool and a Project-Based Assessment. The combination of their test score along with their ability to research and write about the subject matter gives me a great overview of the student’s grasp of the material.

Esther,

What do you mean by the opportunity to try again?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Charlene,

Wow! What a great answer. You have a good command of assessment!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

First it should be easy to use or very user-friendly.

Second, should provide an interactive channel. Feedbacks are important for both students and instructors. It is better linked to one's email, instant message, or cell phone text message. So people can check feedbacks more conveniently.

I think the three most important things to consider when assessing the use of technology assessment tools are:

1) Is the technology assessment tool being used the best choice for the subject matter?

2) How will the students benefit from using a particular technology assessment tool vs. another?

3) What can we change or do differently to improve the use of the technology assessment tool?

Wanpeng,

what about the communication between students?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Juliet,

Great answer! You are spot on!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

It is important to make sure that all of the technology tools are working effectively. If certain tools are known to cause problems with certain operating systems, there needs to be a reliable technical support team available 24/7. This information must be conveyed to students at the beginning of the course. Another important consideration is the level of technology expertise for each individual student. Students come to us with a variety of computer skills. Students that struggle with the technology require more assistance from the instructor. A third item to consider would be the relevance of the assessment tool for the particular learning objective. We may find that adjustments are needed based on results from previous use of these tools.

Cheryl,

You are right about the technology skills of students. Students are coming to us such a variety of skills.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

1. proper access and usage of the technology
2. ongoing communication with the instructor to make sure the course objectives are being met
3. properly addressing student concerns or questions where they feel their voice is properly being heard and taken into consideration

Jenny,

Great answer! Which do you see is the key to assessing technology?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment