Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Gaming and Simulation Defined | Origin: EL115

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Gaming and Simulation in Online Learning --> Gaming and Simulation Defined

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

The discussion was interesting, but could use more resources as to how to develop these methods.

I have learned and plan to apply using games to help students be engaged in their learning and make decisions that will positively affect their learning outcomes. 

I use gaming and simulations when I teach anatomy. I use a variety of different games in which some are computer based and hands on in the classroom. I brings a since of enjoyment into the learning environment. The games can also be repeated over and over which gives the student another way to learn the material.

In my radiology course we have games and they are really helpful for the students to learn by repetition.

Games help with memory retention and competition helps engagement. 

I always implement games throughout my courses. Students love these educational learning tools and will often use these methods to study rather than methods they find more tedious.

Games/simulations can enhance learning in multiple ways and help reach each individual at different levels. It could also provide the opportunity for other students to learn by assiting those who seem to be having difficulty in specific areas. 

I love the idea of incorporating games into my lesson plans....I just need more free online resources!

I like to let my students create review games for upcoming exams using platforms such as Kahoot!, Jeopardy, and Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? So far, I have learned that this is an affective method. I hope to learn about other platforms that allowing for educational gaming. 

Some instructors/teachers are hesitant to incorporate gaming/simulations in their lesson plans, however, the results can be rewarding.  For CTAE courses, simulations would be helpful. 

Just the word game can be a barrier to overcome, as some people think that it is not the main learning objectives. They think of a game as being a frivolous activity, and fail to realize that it can help in the learning process.  Others may have barriers such as funding, as not every school has the budget to allow for some of the expensive gaming activities. 

Given the global shift to online learning, games and simulations will be more important than ever in filling the knowledge gaps created by this transition. If learning cannot occur in the traditional classroom, we will need a new set of tools to compensate for the deficits inherent in the absence of face-to-face instruction. 

I like how the training talked about real world applications.  Specifically about the workplace, and how serious games could help learners become more adaptable in the real world workplace.  The traditional classroom is very structured, and may not teach learners about adaptability while producing quality work.

I try to use gaming often but find that using the same type over and over probably is boring for the students.  I'd like to have more options available and be creative in their use.  I understand better that using a simulation or game reinforces the learning, does not replace the learning.

I would love to use more gaming in my classroom, but it i hard to find the resources that line up with my cirriculum.  I spend more time looking for the right resource then I do teaching and re-inforcing the concepts.  The "time" factor is real!

I have learned many chaaracterisitcs of gaming and simulations, their similarities and differences. I've learned it is probably better to call it an immersive environment to get it authorized and take advantage of the practice opportunity, increased engagement, and therefore increased retention that games provide. However, in my own practice, I seldom use them because of the time constraints of developing them. For instance, a siimple branching scenario game requires extensive wireframing of responses, feedback and navigation before even going to a developer, who programs extensively. Setting up the environment can be very media-intensive. I find it most helpful to use elements of gaming or simulation in brief interactions.

I like games. The problem is to find a well designed game that addresses the objectives accurately and at an affordable price.

In my coding classes I'd like to use simulations that will allow my students to create solutions for problems. However, these simulations must be planned specifically for my student population.

While games may make content more interesting does the outcome (retention of content) improve. Inputting and making the games are very time consuming as stated.

Sign In to comment