Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Online Persona | Origin: EL108

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Preparing Students to Become Good Online Learners --> Online Persona

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I have gained a deeper understanding of how to effectively support students with learning disabilities and other learning challenges in the online environment by incorporating inclusive teaching practices, clear communication, and flexible learning strategies that promote student success.

Hello, 

I have learned that every student learns differently and it's important for we as instructors to know their strengths and weaknesses so we can better assist them on the level they need. I think posting personal videos would be a great way to personalize the course. 

Iv'e learned that you need to create a relationship with your students especially the online students. This will help you learn their learning strengths and weaknesses. Making short videos for announcements will keep things personable and keep the students engaged. 

I learned that instructors need to help students identify thier strengths and weaknesses in online learning enviorments. 

Students taking an online course need as much or more time to complete their work and address the material as those taking an in-person course, which should be communicated to students prior to the class and during it as well.

The importance of flexibility, patience and meaningful communication. Every student comes to the virtual classroom with unique strenghts and challenges and responisbilities often balancing work and home life. Building relationships through consistent support and encouragement helps students feel connected and motivated. Clear expectations and timely feedback play a cirtical roll. 

Students with disabilities need a tailored approach 

Posting weekly videos ( instead of announcements) for that week's work  seems to have better impact for the students

I've learned more about way to support and encourage students both in class and online. Focusing on communicating clearly and effectively.

Online instructors will need to assess the student's readiness to learn in this type of environment. Rapid detection of possible failure will need to be addressed immediately to provide support. Online learning can be total synchronize, unsynchronized or a hybrid. With these options, online student the student will have a stronger outcome if self-motivated to learn. 

I have found that having an introduction discussion allows students to interact and share a little of their personal lives, what they are hoping to learn, and any future plans. 

I learned that a student’s online persona should reflect professionalism, respect, and good communication. I plan to set clear expectations and model these behaviors so students can build good online habits for school and their future careers.

I have learned that just because they are separated from the teacher face-to-face, it doesn't mean students don't face challenges online.  They still need to be assessed to figure out what they will need help with online.

keep things brief and concise.  time is a precious commodity and it's important to keep the audience's attention. 

I realize that it is important for both student as well as instructor to access the requirements to succeed in an online course. As an instructor to revise and make changes when needed, and to communicate as celarly and concisely to students what is expected and how they can do well in the course.

Keep the information short, sweet and to the point. Remember time is a precious commodity.

Making sure students are aware and or know how to use the media, class and time management 

Preparation is key. Making sure students are aware of learning objectives and outcomes. Open communication and developing a good support system. 

One of the most important ideas I learned from this module is that student motivation plays a major role in success in an online course.  Although motivation ultimately comes from the student, instructors can have a significant impact by creating a supportive learning environment through clear expectations, regular communication, timely feedback, and positive encouragement.

In my own online classes, I already use weekly Canvas announcements, Remind messages, Zoom sessions, and prompt feedback to help students stay engaged and connected.  After completing this module, I plan to continue using these strategies while placing even greater emphasis on encouraging students to set goals, stay on schedule, and reach out whenever they need assistance.

Sign In to comment