Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Richard,

Great strategy! It does make a case for students to support authentically their argument.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

As already mentioned, language and appropriate content are two important topics to address. As part of the language guideline, it is important to address use of industry terminology, general vocabulary, spelling, grammar, and organization of content. When addressing appropriate content, as was mentioned in the course materials, it is important for students to see examples of what is expected. This can help guide students down the appropriate path. It can be helpful to explain why the examples are appropriate too so that students understand the function of a proper blog post rather than just trying to reiterate something they know the instructor likes.

Hello Dr. Wilkinson,

Guidelines should be provided on accepted online behavior (netiquette) and on the type of content that should be included in the blog.

Hector Morales

I think that instructors should try and stay in neutral territory when blogging - there is nothing wrong with healthy debate but at the same time, things such as religion and politics tend to 'rile' individuals up which we don't want in this case. Trying to make sure conversations stay on the positive side of things is how a blog should be conveyed as a whole while still encouraging students or individuals to bring forth various ideas.

Catherine,

I agree. The blog should stay with the topic related to the course. You may want to make sure that everyone understands that healthy debate means staying on topic. There are all sorts of examples of what happens if there are problems with dialog.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Tanya,

Good observation. You would want to make sure those items that are important such as vocabulary and grammar should be a part of the grading system such as a rubric. That would work for this as well as hold students accountable to the policy.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Hector,

How would you hold students accountable? How would you grade?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Two types of guidelines online professors should consider when using blogs in the online classroom include:

1. Appropriate content and blogger relations.
2. Reporting factual material and obtaining consent prior to speaking about someone in a blog.

Andrea,

These are great guidelines. I hadn't thought about getting permission about speaking to someone in a blog but that is important.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Dr. Kelly - Students should understand the goals of the blogs. They need to know the purpose of the blog and what they will get from their participation. Students also need to understand the requirements of the content. To facilitate these outcomes the students may need some examples of acceptable usage or of unacceptable usage.
Tina

Tina,

That is so important. You have to have expectations for students using blogs. Examples are a powerful way to help students understand expectations.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I have a set guideline reguarding language! My students have a tendency to become "over enthusiastic" and I also have them write out the word. I am older and don't have a reference book for "text talk". I keep them on topic but I encourage as many different veiw points as possible. There are no stupid ideas unless they can not be supported with facts.

When using any online tool, appropriate online benhavior is a must. Many of today's students do not understand the ramifications of online postings and must be educated to what is or is not appropriate to post online.

Content posting should also be discussed with the students. Facts must be validated and quotes credited.

Bonnie,

I like guidelines. That is what will be expected of them in the "real work" world. Their ideas needs to be grounded in fact!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Kelli,

I agree with you. You have to hold them accountable. I am finding this idea of "rules apply to everyone but me" really frustrating. My line. . . I am equally unfair to everyone! :)

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Kelli,

I agree with you. You have to hold them accountable. I am finding this idea of "rules apply to everyone but me" really frustrating. My line. . . I am equally unfair to everyone! :)

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

When we use blogs in the educational environment, we focus on attaining a specific goals in terms of knowledge transfer, acquisition, retention and sharing.

In order to ensure that these goals can be met, I believe that a couple of guidelines necessary to frame the context should be considered:

1. etiquette: using the blog with a professional approach will increase the value of the blog, the learning process and as well ensure that everyone adopts the required guidelines in respect of all other users as well

2. content being goal/subject focused: the exchange of information should focus on providing input that is driven by the subject discussed in the blog and avoiding deviating from it with contents that are not relevant to the discussion.

Robert,

Great post. You are right, and the students should have the ability to evaluate other students' blogs with specific criteria. This can help in shaping the professionalism of all of the blogs.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I wish I had something really unique to share, but I am sure my comments are in line with what others are posting. The first guideline would be around content. I would need to be very clear about what the blog was intended to be used for. It is important that people understand the purpose of the blog. Otherwise it will be underutilized. The other would revolve around etiquette. People need to feel safe and that can only happen if there are rules that everybody knows and understands. Then it is incumbent upon the instructor to enforce those rules.

1. That they follow the course objectives
2. That they encourage discussion informed thinking and collaboration

In the course syllabus the course objectives are always outlined. As an instructor I model the behavior of what a post that encourages comments and discussion looks like.

Sign In to comment