Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Francis ,

You have a great post as you don't want the blog to be an afterthought; it needs to have meaning in the learning process. Students need to understand a blog's role in learning the material. This can't be just an add on for technology sake. Purpose is number 1.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Dawn,

Modeling is the best way to ensure yours students are shown proper behavior within communication and particularly blogging. You have to make sure you are engaging so your students are.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

When you are working within an online environment, it is important that all individuals practice netiquette; however, when you look at this question a little further, I believe that the two guidelines that online instructions should consider when using blogs in class are as follows:

1) Expectation: All instructors should set the expectations for participating in the online blog. This could include proper grammar, netiquette, and using valid references.

2) Relevance of information posted: with this, students should post things that are factual and relevant to the blog/discussion and can be proven and not post hurtful information or about another student without their permission.

Simone,

I agree with you. You have to set the expectations and hold EVERYONE accountable. This is so important. You hae to be serious about this as it is a step in their practice of professionalism.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Simone,

I agree with you. You have to set the expectations and hold EVERYONE accountable. This is so important. You hae to be serious about this as it is a step in their practice of professionalism.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I think how an instructor intends to use a blog in the classroom dictates the guidelines he or she might consider. For example, if the purpose of the blog is for discussions, then the instructor would want to consider clear guidelines and expectations so students (and instructor) do not disrespect anyone or anything in a post. Additionally, it is important to treat the blog as part of the classroom space and always consider what is about to be put in the blog before actually posting the blog.
Stephanie

Stephanie,

You might want to have a practice run within the discussion board. Have a student be the "expert" of the day or whatever time and period to lead a discuss they have had to research and articulate. Have students evaluate the student's preparation along with your evaluation.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

This is a tough one. On one hand, you want to encourage your students to actively engage in conversation to further expand their knowledge (what I like to call 'getting the intellectual juices flowing').

On the other hand, you do not want blogging activity to take over the formal learning process (especially the use of slang and poor grammar within the blog).

Finally, as an instructor, I would be very careful to 'create' new blog topics in my classroom. We already have discussion board postings and students should be engaging there.

My two guidelines include addressing proper use of language within the blog and encourage personal opinions on difficult topics. I know some instructors out there do not like to see debate in their classrooms (e.g. political, religion, ethics, etc.); however, I am a little different. I expect my students to share their thoughts, opinions, differences, etc., especially on hot topics such as euthanasia, abortion, politics, extreme religion and rights, etc. When promoting such controversial topics in a blog, I remind students that we welcome ALL opinions regardless if we do not agree with them. This helps eliminate ontological arrogance and promotes necessary skills to deal with other people (who may or may nor agree with us or our viewpoints) in the real world.

Instructor's should use appropriate topics for school and unbiased opinions without any underlying bullying or insults to other students in the forum.

The two rules that I think are important in using blogs in an online classroom are:

1. Be respectful, and articulate without being rude.

2. Be precise and accurate without being pedantic.

And above all, be creative. Think outside the box, way outside the box. Please remember Enrico Fermi, when he said to another physicist that the other person's theory was crazy, but then asked if the theory was crazy enough to be true. This heuristic is one that is usually not considered in an instructional setting. In my opinion, this lack of consideration is something that is lost in all forms of instruction.

Donald L. Buresh

When using blogs in the classroom, the 2 guidelines that should be followed are: content and respect.
You have to be very careful when asking students questions that may incite "ill will" feelings that the students will blog about. The content of a blog can be an extremely sensitive matter that needs to be handled delicately.
Therefore, when students blog, they need to be taught respect first. Respect for others will really go a long way to having blogs that are carefully, yet critically written.

Sign In to comment