Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Leti ,

It is really very nice. We don't have to use the videos, have the students do it. I saw a presentation where an economics professor has the students create a video to describe economic terms. It was so good and the students learned!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I have stayed with YouTube because students are familiar with and attracted to it. Labeling a video "YouTube" seems to increase the likelihood that they will click on and watch it.

Amen to that. I use acrobat for live chats, gear them to what students need to know for the week's written assignment(s), post announcements and send emails to make sure students are aware of each chat, and still consider myself lucky to get 2-5 students out of 30+ in the class. So I post the same information at attached files available for asynchronous viewing and hope some students check into them.

Stanley,

You make a great point, just the use of YouTube does create a familiarity factor for students. Even if it is about APA citations. . .

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Lois,

Can you determine if the students watch the recordings? Does the LMS do that? That would be interesting to monitor.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I'm relatively new to this, so I have found reading this thread very helpful! I have used Khan Academy in the past and students enjoy it. I wish they had more topics however.

Thank you for all these great resources for me to explore!

What are a few examples of media hosting and sharing sites geared more toward education?

Surprisingly, there are more media hosting sharing sites than I realized existed. From my recent reading I learned about photo hosting of Flickr, Snapfish and Photovoice. Presently, I use dropbox, WordPress and Wiki at times. However, I plan to research more on Goggle Video and iTunesU. This is quite interesting learning more sharing that I can assist my students.

I do use just plain YouTube as others have mentioned. Is the YouTubeEdu free? As mentioned in the text, many great educational organizations have user accounts on regular YouTube that share content. I also use the pbs website, and as an art teacher I have found that many famous artifacts/locations have virtual tours, such as the Sistine Chapel. This makes the art come much more "to life" than a picture in a textbook can do. Not educational, but I do create my own content (screen capture with audio) that I share via screencast.com .

Dr. Kimberly,

Isn't Khan Academy great. . . and free! I found that searching through Youtube has been effective in finding great material. It does take time.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Revonna,

It is amazing how much there is out there. Look at Padlet as a way for students to develop the electronic resources on a digital wall. It is padlet.com. it is like a type of Pinterest.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Jennifer,

Doesn't that make the course come alive? It is amazing how "easy" it is to create a multimedia learning experience with little of your own work. Again, this always improves my f2f courses also.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Youtube has so much to consider, but we need to vet what is best to accomplish the learning objectives and steer the students accordingly.

Karen,

Yes, you don't want to use social media sites that don't fit the learning objectives of the course. We have to make sure it is a good fit.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson:

According the the course readings, TeacherTube, SchoolTube, iTunesU, and YouTube Edu are a few examples of media hosting and sharing sites geared more toward education. "TeacherTube and SchoolTube are hosting and sharing sites designed to assist teachers in sharing educational resources such as video, audio, documents, photos, groups, and blogs." It is important that the online instructor "investigate the site, review the course content and learning outcomes, and determine how to effectively facilitate the learning." These sites can be utilized not only online but on campus to supplement traditional lectures.

Dr. Ricardo Richards, UMA

RICARDO,

I agree with you. I find when I find online resources that enrich my online learning it improves my face to face. The tools fit a variety of deliveries!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I think Jing is a great resource for sharing information with students. This tool also allows you to screencast and record your voice. Here, you can create 5 minute or less videos to highlight an important point or maybe do a quick overview or review of a topic. It allows you to connect with the student in yet another way. It can also be used for assessment in requiring students to record a video themselves.

Some examples of media hosting and sharing sites geared toward education are DropBox, google docs, and the virtual world platform MOSES. Each of these can be used successfully in education.

Prezi is a site that facilitates the creation and sharing of online presentations. Prezi can be used as an alternative to PowerPoint presentations.
The presentations are searchable, so it is possible to locate presentations on course topics.

I have used YouTube and Dropbox but one could also consider using the functionality of a good LMS.

Dr. Wilkinson,

Although I direct my students to some sites that may supplement their learning, I have learned new ones in this module that may help my students more. This question also led me to search for additional sites that can be used to host media files for my classroom. Based on my research, I found the following sites that may be useful although I have personally not used them yet:

--Vimeo (this site is very similar to youtube. Based on my research, it allows us to upload hi-def video files up to 500 MB a month);

--TeacherTube; and

--SchoolTube.

Sign In to comment