Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Yes, communication etiquette "netiquette" should be a requirement, which students should master, prior to taking online classes. A separate course or tutorial should be a requirement for online courses for both faculty and students.

Miriam,

Don't you think we read into messages what we think are the nonverbals. There is a Youtube clip called the delusions of email. I will see if I can find it and share.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Miriam,

I agree. Students must be held to that standard. That is an expectation of professionalism.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Technology plays a huge role in our society today. We need to connect with student on all possible levels. If this is the way they communicate then it is also a great to reach out and communicate with them on their level...if you will. For some reason most students would much rather communicate through text messages, social networks then speaking to a Live person. Social networking helps them communicate with their peers and mentors and it's readily accessible.

Social networking is important in the online classroom today if we want to have a "broader" connection with the student. I am concerned that without more "props" for online classes the student will not develop all the skills necessary to be successful in the workplace. The online social networking community has holes to fill if it wants to produce quality students that have good communication skills and work ethic, but it is moving in a good direction. In using social networking the student can work with others, embrace the importance of professional behavior and understand that working with other people is important to be successful on the job. Social networking, in the right environment, can help develop those needed skills.

Good social networing habits gives students opportunities to learn from a various sources, not just books or class work. Social media give students and opportunity to connect and share ideas through pictures or links world wide. The Teacher/Student interatction is enhanced with a question and answer at any time by loging on.

Guerda,

You make a great point. I agree, if students are in facebook, we need to looking at leveraging that technology for learning. I want students learning anytime, anywhere, with any device. That may mean that we as educators have to learn some new "tricks".

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

krystal,

You make such a great point. We do have to look at ways to engage students. Networking is a problem with many of our students.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Gwendolyn,

What great observations. This may be the way we teach students the skill of networking in a more f2f setting.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

It is a new and changing language that people(students) have adopted. We as educators need to stay in touch with our students in any media that is current.

Students need to develop good social networking habits because it is a use of technology that is here to stay. While we may bemoan the prevalence of social networking and complain about how it has caused everyone to engage in sharing everything online, the fact is that we will not be going back to a time when it was not used.

To ensure that students use this tool to enhance their personal growth and development, then, it is up to use as educators to give them opportunities to play around with the tools that are available and learn how to make them work for more than sharing one's lunch.

For example, sites such as LinkedIn and other professional sites can be invaluable in finding a job or connecting with people who can help you grow in your chosen career. Students should know how to use those sites appropriately.

While many students have Facebook presence, they may not see that their Facebook postings can influence a future employer. Learning the ins and outs of social networking may help them better modify their personal postings so that they do not jeopardize a budding career.

Rebecca Coleman

That's a great point, Miriam. I teach composition, and I try to help students understand that their primary method of communication will be through writing. Gone are the days when one can get by with being able to talk one's way out of or into situations! Students are going to have to be adept at writing and communicating through written media if they are going to be successful in the globalized world.

William,

I agree that we have to "plug" into the media that is current. We have to help shape professional behavior when using those new types of media.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Rebecca,

You make a great point. I work with the professional development area of my college and we encourage are students to develop their professional persona in areas such as LinkedIn and to think about what they put in Facebook. It is interesting that there is now an issue with employers asking for Facebook credentials. . . . hmmmm. . . .

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Rebecca,

Great point. It is a globalized world. With all of this media, writing is still a very important skill!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Developing good social networking habits in the classroom will help student in real life situations - they may understand the issues with regards to posting in larger public communities. Recruiters and HR Professionals often scour social media sites about candidates - so the good social media habits may pay off in the long run in terms of professional goals.

Valerie,

I agree, developing strong expectations regarding social media will help students to develop their own social media standards that will meet professional expectations. Good post.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I like your response! The World Wide Web is an important tool in our learning process. I believe social media may take things a step further when discussing specific topics related to a course.

DIANA ,

Great point. It does take further steps in engaging the student with more focus.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I think good social networking habits will serve students well in multiple arenas, i.e, educational, networking, and socially. In addition,communication skills, knowledge of studied subject matter increases, and networking opportunities improve. These elements will follow students throughout their program and careers.

Sign In to comment