Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Kimberly,

You make a great point. We need to talk about good manners! Good etiquette goes a long way in the professional world. The venues we communicate may change, good manners really don't.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

The first thing that comes to mind when it comes to social networking is to be careful what you write and say. Younger students can shoot off at the mouth and post messages that can eventually become embarrassing to them when potential hiring managers learn of such unprofessionalism. In that case, it can work against them. So, learning the do's and don't's of acceptable responses, manners and proper etiquette is essential
for them to stay focused.

Properly done, the social networks can help them build relationships, learn from others and test out a variety of views. It can be a great learning experience when done right and help them build a network of contacts that can assist each other further on down the road.

The first thing that comes to mind when it comes to social networking is to be careful what you write and say. Younger students can shoot off at the mouth and post messages that can eventually become embarrassing to them when potential hiring managers learn of such unprofessionalism. In that case, it can work against them. So, learning the do's and don't's of acceptable responses, manners and proper etiquette is essential
for them to stay focused.

Properly done, the social networks can help them build relationships, learn from others and test out a variety of views. It can be a great learning experience when done right and help them build a network of contacts that can assist each other further on down the road.

In general I find that students really don't know the importance of networking.

I have had students as long ago as 15 years find me on face book to ask questions.

I think as time goes by social media will keep going in importance for learning.

As this is a new major form of communication and many employers also look at social networking.

It seems apparent that social networking is here to stay and will continue to evolve. When students develop good social networking habits, they establish themselves as being a credible member of that online community, being seen as honest and respectful of the shared use of information presented by others within the network. In so doing, they can engage in meaningful discussion and debate with individuals worldwide and contribute to their own personal learning and understanding as well as enhancing that of others.

Gloria Kray

Social networking is a key and viable communication tool. It is used for academic and non-academic purposes. In academia it provides students a social collaborative learning tool that is monitored and managed to ensure opinion is mediated with fact.

roger,

Great point. I have heard that some "credit bureau check" type systems that they are collecting data on people back seven years very much like a credit report. Isn't that scarey. . .

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

roger,

Great post! Students from the millennial generation feel they have the right to say whatever they want. They just don't always understand the consequences of their actions. They also don't always understand networking as that means they share. This group doesn't share well.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Richard,
You are correct! They don't understand the need to themselves with others and care about what others say. This is the core of networking and hard to teach later in life unless they see a value in it.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Richard,

Really? That is scarey! I do know if they put as much effort in the studies as they do to get around things they would be done!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Richard,

I agree with you. I think we have to leverage the medium for learning and professional development.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Stephanie,

Yes, and we can leverage the medium to students content as well as professional development.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Gloria,

I love your use of the term "seen as honest and respectful . . " What great terms to use to describe an employee. I would love for us to get those points across to students using social media. Great post.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Esther,
It really does lend itself to collaborative learning much more than some of our LMS tools. Good point.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

It's important because the content on any of these sites are not private and can be seen by anyone. I have actually seen promotions withheld because of bad social networking habits.

Timothy,

I think you make a great point. Reminding that these sites may not be private is important. I would check to see if your LMS can do the technology.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

As technology evolves, employers are using new tools to check on applicants. Learning how to use social media appropriately will help the learners prepare for life outside of the classroom.

Sign In to comment