Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Developing good social networking habits is a must in the healthcare industry. Even when working in the back office we do deal with patients, usually about finances. Right off the bat a person can get on the defensive when they owe money to a medical practice. For some reason, some people feel doctors should work for free. Having a firm, but gentle, way to manage an angry patience is part of medical billing and coding. This skill can be enhanced through good social networking habits. The definition of social......"friendly", implies that everyone should be on the same note and happy.

Marie,

Great post. You are right, you really ave to make sure your social media persona is similar to your professional one.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

In my opinion, good social networking habits carry over into their personal networking habits. Social networking helps to enhance connections and allows opportunity to "practice" their social skills and networking abilities, learn from others and connect with individuals who may be potential employers. Additionally, in our world today, having these skills will be areas an employer could be looking for so social networking allows them to gain experience in those skills. Finally, for an online student, social networking can aid in creating the learning community and the learning process for the individual student.

Stephanie,

I agree with you but we have to teach students to compartmentalize their lives. They need to understand the role of personal and the role of professional. The don't always do that.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson:

According to the course readings, it is important for students to develop good social networking habits because "[p]rivacy does not exist in the world of social networking." Students must be "aware that a presence in the social networking world is or easily can be made available to the public at large. This includes prospective students, current students, current employers and colleagues, and peers." In fact the media is replete with examples of employees losing their jobs because of what they post on Facebook. Therefore, it is crucial more than ever that they are aware of the appropriate content and policy for Proper use of social media. Dr. Ricardo Richards

RICARDO,

You are so right! I just posted about the Microsoft exec who told women not ask for a raise, to depend on Karma. He didn't finish his speech before the Tweets ensued! It was a costly mistake for him.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Yes, I agree, students need to be more socially savvy. Students need to learn how to react to others in a professional way. Some people do not know how to interact in an appropriate and professional manner.

Cristy,

You are right. We see so many interactions in the business world through social media. Most of my students are getting their employment and internship activities through LinkedIn. It is IMPORTANT!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

It is important for students to develop good social networking skills in order to remain conscientious both personally and professionally. Posting too much personal information or exposing your personal life online can be damaging to your professional career. Likewise, not understanding social networking could hold you back as many employers request the submission of resumes/employment applications through social networking sites such as LinkedIn.

Thanks!

Eryn

Eryn,

You are right, we have to impress upon them the consequences of poor decision making regarding social media. The "great?" thing is there are so many great examples of how social media can hurt a person's career.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Social networking is not only useful in the classroom, but also in life in general. It can be used for job hunts, searches for friends and relatives and in other ways. Good habits will keep students safe from harm and show them how to best use the tools to encourage responses.

Suzanne,

You are right. We make all of our freshmen establish a their LinkedIN and clean up their Facebook. In the business world, LinkedIn is invaluable.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

It is mportant for students to develop good social networking habits since this is going to be a large portion of their life in the future. Students will want to develop a good reputation for themselves in the online world through the use of LinkedIn, Twitter and more. Employers, universities and more will be checking students names online. Therefore, its important to be smart about what you are posting and who can see this information in the future.

It is important for students to develop good social networking habits so they can take advantage of the advancements in technology that allow collaboration and communication while considering the audience of the social interactions.

It is important for students to develop good social networking habits because these are tools they will be using personally and professionally in the future.

Tools like linkedin will be instrumental in students future careers. Online networking is a great way for students to meet future employers and colleagues.

Yes, professionalism is the key to successful use of social media. I do not condone any inappropriate posts for my classroom discussion and found that my students tend to police the other students before I even have to intervene.

It is important that students have proper habits in all areas. They should know that the Internet lives on and on and that anything posted cannot really be deleted. Even a deleted Facebook page may have been read and then it can be re-posted. Also students should try to stay clear of casual language for any academic purpose.

Many companies and professional organizations utilize social media to recruit and maintain employees. Being social Media savvy allows students and businesses access to another resource to locate potential opportunities and expand professional networks

It is important for students to develop good social networking habits, as there are many employers looking at these sites. Professionalism is an important issue to think about, as these sites provide a public image of who you are and how you present yourself.
David Makin

Developing good social networking habits is important because social networking is a way to see the personal side of our students. People who read or see students' post may judge him/her based on the posts alone because they do not know them personally. Furthermore, whatever they post can be documented and may be available forever even if they delete it. With that said, they should be mindful of the content of their post, their language, etc.

-Christine

Sign In to comment