Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Identifying Technical Skills

What technical skills do you see as important for your online students?

The lack of necessary technical skills is often a stumbling block to student success. However, mastering these skills will not only help students to be successful in their courses but will be an advantage in the workplace. Students need to be comfortable navigating online, conducting research on the web and also in the online library, and accessing all aspects of their LMS and student portal.

Many of the assignments in an online course are completed in written form. Therefore, students need to have basic word processing skills in order to complete and upload assignments and to participate in the discussion forum and chat sessions.

Not all students are going to enter their online courses with the level of technical skills needed. For this reason, we require students to take a computer applications course and a word processing course during their first two terms. Students are also provided detailed orientations to all aspects of the LMS and the online library. However, instructors should be aware of the students’ competency levels and incorporate technical skills education into their teaching until students are comfortable.

Sharon,

You are right. There are so many factors when it comes to student success in the online environment, but technical skill is a factor. I like the fact that you make sure all student have completed a computer applications course and word processing course early in their program. But, you are right that all studentts are still going to differ in their ability. Thanks!

What does it mean to be “Tech-Ready”? To be “Tech-Ready” is a combination of having the right technology to participate in online classes coupled with the knowledge to use that technology. Students don’t need to be a computer “expert” or have a brand new computer to participate in online classes. That said, there is a minimum level of computer capability, access, and ability to participate in the program. We send student links to different tutorials. We have a very detailed step-by-step learning tutorial that guides student on how to use “The Student Portal” our online learning platform.

David,

Being Tech-Ready is a never ending challenge. As the technology changes, we have to keep up. The students (no matter what generation) must as well. i have always said, "When we quit learning, we're dead." ;-) You're right in that we or out students don't have to be technology experts, but be able to participate and learn. Thanks for your remarks.

To become a successful online student, careful consideration must be given to work habits and learning style, computer requirements and the level of technical skills needed before enrolling in an online class. The skills that I see as important for my online students are:

• Feel comfortable using a computer operating system
• Feel comfortable using the Internet
• Ability to perform basic functions such as maximizing and minimizing Windows; familiarity with using the browser functions.
• Copy and paste information
• Save information
• Working with files such as creating, saving and uploading to a dropbox
• Have the basic knowledge of sending and receiving emails
• Use word processing software
• Ability to login in to an LMS
• Take a quiz online

Letting students know what skills are needed to learn in an online environment is key to their success. While not every student will enter school as a novice computer user, identifying the needs of students before entering the program, will do great service for them. This will help them to identify strengths and weaknesses and with the help of the instructor, provide ways for improvement.

Students must be able to successfully navigate and find information on both the internet and our LMS; they must be able to organize their files properly for efficient saving and retrieving of documents; and they must be familiar with basic computer concepts such as copy/paste, open/save, upload/download, installing plugins, etc.

Gayle,

Right on! Students must know where the information is, how to communicate, how frequently to expect you to eommunicate and organize their thought, projects, etc. to be successful. Time management and priority management are important skills to have. Thanks!

Edna,

Yes, your first sentence says to much. I like that you use a diagnostic quic to help students identify their skills and to provide you with that information. That helps you understand how quickly you may cover material and what issues to expect as the course progresses. Thanks!

Students need to be able trouble shoot basic software problems. They need to be able to use basic features like spell check. They need to be able to zip a file. They need to be able to use the web to research viable topics. All of these skills, even at a basic form, will help them succeed.

There are many technical skills that are important for online students to possess.

Students should be able to navigate their operating system (Windows or Mac), and use files and folders effectively.
Students should also be able to use a web browser and be able to upload files to the course website.

Students may also need to understand how to use a microphone and/or web camera if live chats will take place during the course .

I think there are many technical skills that online students must use. The first is downloading a file. If they have a difficult time with this they will have a difficult time with other aspects of the online environment. I also think a student must know how to search the internet for credible resources. I always try to explain that students need to have an understanding of what is personal and what has been reviewed is essential.

Hello Laura,

I agree that students need to understand how to use a web camera or microphone. Many of students do not know anything about this. The more they interact with their peers the more they retain from the class.

Joan

Joan and Laura,

Thank you for continuing the conversation. I love that the instructors taking this course feel comfortable building community and sharing with each other. It's so important here and in your own courses.

Nathan,

Right on. The instructor has to provide them with the tools (if needed) to do this, but there should be some basics the students should be able to do. I add those requirements in the ayllabus as well. Nice job.

Laura,

You are right. I tell the students they need to do this and include it in the syllabus. If they cannot do it, they may fall behind, lose their work, etc. When I have the first live chat of the course, I open it 30 minutes early and tell students to go in and test their equipment so I don't take class time. Thanks for you input.

Joan,

So true. There are, what seem to be, simple technical skills that many people take for granted, but others cannot do. Making it clear to students as to what skills they need to have is essential. Nice job.

My students need to know how to browse web sites; how to edit, file, and upload documents; how to attach things to Discussion Boards; how to access live and archived chats; how to access library sites and advanced web searches for good sources; how to screen websites; how to use spell check;how to save to a drive, etc. My older student often feel overwhelmed at first, but most of them have the skills of persistence and hard work and do fine.

Edna, these skills are so important and not as overwhelming to learn as many students suppose. After taking 20 years off from teaching college to raise my children and to home school, I was shocked, upon returning, to see how much of teaching was computerized! I spent an hour with a librarian and from that point, thanks to family, practice, and tech support, I improved incrementally. I am still learning, though!

June & Edna,

You bring up good points. It's a continual learning process. Keep on truckin'! ;-)

Sign In to comment