Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Our university dictates use of specific asynchronous and synchronous tools. For example, we are required to have a minimum of 1 hour synchronous chat scheduled each week. However, once we meet the minimum requirements, instructors have a great deal of latitude about how we use the tools that are available to us. I would prefer more synchronous activity but it is very difficult to get student participation because of time zones, work hours and family commitments. As a result, I tend to use more email and posting of class announcements to communicate with the class.

Darren,

yes, how do you make them more comfortable?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Antoinette,

What do you think is the most effective?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Melissa,

That is what makes online learning so appealing is the working at one's pace. it is what can be a challenge for an instructor to make yourself available, asynchronously and synchronously.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Jeanette,

I think you are right. It is the asynchronus component that makes this type of learning attractive. The different tools you mentioned can really add variety and will let students to collaborate.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Erin,

Good post! I do think a good online course allows for both types of communication asynchronous and synchronous.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Srabasti,

You are not the only one that does not decide on how communication is delivered. I think the convenience of asynchronous does drive students to online.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Charles,

You really integrate many tools to serve your students congrats to you. It does pose a difficulty when you have different times and schedule. You have to make sure that you communication synchronously is equal to your communication asynchronously.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Chad,

That can be a problem, although you can teach students to use the time reflect on their participation.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Jack,

Good, do you require both interactions from your students?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

MaryCatherine,

Wow, you really do articulate the online process well. It is dependent on the student and the assignment and the expectation of you and the student. The flexibility of this online does somewhat mimic f2f class interaction don't you think?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Debra,

You make a great point! The flexibility of the different ways of communication provide the best environment of learning for the student; much like f2f!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Michael,

That is smart. There are interesting things you can do with both environments.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Michael,

I think you a make the case for use of different methods for different purposes. Good communication should include multiple media.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Rachelle,

You are right! I do think that you have to use multiple media repeatedly to find ways to reach the wayward student.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Susan,

I do use recorded messages when I review the course in past tense and look at problem points. I will use recordings to address the issues in the course future. I do try not to make the student(s) dependent on one type of medium with the exclusion of the others. Example, I had a nontraditional student who wanted me to talk about the course on the phone so he would not have to listen or interact online through the LMS. You can't allow that!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Susan,

I also use Jing which is a free application.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Kara,

You have a great attitude about your requirements. It is still about you making the connection!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Trude,

You take your barriers and work around them. We would do that in a f2f course and you do that in your online course. You use what works for your students! Great post.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Kelly,
We do not require both interactions as chat session are not mandatory

Sign In to comment