Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Jean,

I am with you. I use a variety of tools for learning. I do try to make it technology they will see later. I hate it when students learn different tools for the one task that is easily done within the LMS.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I know that tt is important to use a variety of tools for successful communication in an online course, as each tool provides a way to engage students to have meaningful dialog. As students are quite familiar with email, this asynchronous tool has informed my decision to use it in an online course. Moodle and Blackboard have this tool built in which allows easy contact between me and the student. Also, asynchronous communication is key in my online course, as the use of discussion boards within this communication tool allow for interactive learning. As I become more familiar with Google Docs, I would like to use this synchronous communication for students to work on group projects.

I think that this is excellent, as I find it difficulty to manage the chat session. But this is most important, as students can ask course questions that can be answered during my office hours. I currently use email.

DANA,

I agree with you about using the tools within the LMS. We have more options to use them and students are familiar with them. I do use tools out of the LMS but find I can't track the usage like I can in my LMS.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

DANA,

It is great that you have students attending your chat. You can also run office hours for f2f at the same time as online and provide your f2f students with that options.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Thank you--I appreciate this question!
I work in an online environment where the course material and presentation/communication expectations are very specifically laid out for us. Because of this, there aren't too many opportunities to decide what should be synchronous and what should be asynchronous.
We have a little bit of flexibility when it comes to the presentation of supplementary materials and then, of course, any student communications. What I have come to find, in my years of teaching online, is that our primarily non-traditional student body largely prefers asynchronous elements. They tell me that they want to get in, learn what they need to learn, complete their assignments, and get back to their families. And I can't blame them...I imagine if I was working two jobs, going to school, and raising four children that I wouldn't want the pressure of attending live lectures or talking to my instructor on the phone at night.
However! We do have students who want this more personalized approach, so what I try to do is to identify these students early on in the course and make sure I am offering the chance to attend live lectures, office hours, or talking with me over the phone.
Most often, though, I have found that it is really less about synchronous and asynchronous delivery and more about the amount of attention and personalization the individual desires.

Tamara ,

This is a great post and you really do sum up the issue between synchronous and asynchronous learning. If you can give them opportunities that is really all you can do. I find that most students assume asynchronous. You can be that professor that is engaging in an online environment; you just have to find your groove.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

It really depends on the lesson and what is being taught. And, quite frankly, many online instructors have to use what they are given by the school (mostly asynchronous in nature). However, I think to truly engage students, there needs to be use of synchronous tools like a Live session where you can explain a frequently misunderstood concept via the whiteboard, etc. Synchronous tools really help to clarify concepts and drive the points home.

Stephanie,

Many online instructors are told what to use but need to develop those skills well. I agree many times a simple synchronous meeting can help clear any problems. sometimes it is hard to explain that to students.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Most of my classes already have curriculum put together so I usually go with was is set up. I use email and phone as my primary communication. I don however, have discussion questions that are part of the curriculum but students can add to the discussion any time during the week of the assignment. Since most of my students work or are from out of state it is too hard to use synchronous tools.

Hi,

All of our online courses are asynchronous as that is the value of our hybrid/online courses. The students have the ability to pace themselves and set their own schedules. We use this as a part of their time management training and professional development.

-Chris

Gail ,

Do you have students lead the discussion. That might be a way to engage students with the curriculum.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Dr. Christopher,

That is interesting. Do they engage with other students? Are they required to?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

No, our discussions are already set up so it usually goes the first person to log in is the one that the students reply to.

Both asynchronous and synchronous communication tools have advantages and disadvantages. Asynchronous is the most convenient for all students. This convenience is usually the calling card that helped students decide on taking an online course rather than a face to face course. Also, some students are less intimidated and can express themselves better in an asynchronous situation. However, I believe that synchronous communication provides a more enriched learning experience. Students are learning to listen and respond accordingly. These are skills that are needed for future employment. This ability to interact appropriately is lacking in many students. There are few jobs that employees don't need and use these skills

Gail ,

That is fine, you still want to make sure they meet certain outcomes of the course. I find students to try to take discussions off course, just like in a f2f course.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Lou,
What a great post. You are right, both are used in the workplace. The secret is to mast both of them. I do find it interesting when institutions require instructors to hold synchronous sessions when students don't or won't attend.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

The college I work for utilizes asynchronous as the basis for their courses, but I do create virtual office hours in that students can Skype or chat with me if they have questions or need tutoring.

I would prefer the use of more synchronous communication tools, but with so many students balancing work, families, and school, creating a reasonable expectation for synchronous learning is nearly impossible.

Over the past 5 years that I have been teaching online, I have seen a steady decrease in how many students attend the synchronous learning opportunities. I have sessions in which I won't have anyone attend the live chats or office hours; however, I am not able to appropriately communicate the connection between success in the course and the participation in synchronous communication.

Since all live chats are scheduled and recorded, we are providing both the synchronous and asynchronous leaning opportunities, which benefits busy students; however, many students don't go into online learning valuing the synchronous learning opportunities.

In highly “symbolic-notation” courses, like mathematics and science courses, trying to use instant messaging or telephone to answer technical questions about course content or assignments often require more notation than is easily available in those formats. Asynchronous communications, specifically emails since Word documents with appropriate symbolic notations can be attached to emails, is usually best. IM or telephone work well for questions, guidance, and transfer of information that do not require large amounts of notation symbols.

For instructor-to-student (I2S) transfer of information synchronous chat sessions work well using PowerPoint presentation and other similar media. Some chat platforms do allow for limited synchronous use of symbolic notations in whiteboard areas, but this may not be the most efficient way to show correct technical notations since the instructor is likely “drawing” these symbols on the whiteboard using a pen device or the mouse.

Sign In to comment