Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Kimberley,

Yes, it is important to respect a students' views. I think you are using the asynchronous and synchronous communication very smartly.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I mostly use asynchronous communication tools in the classroom; however, I heavily engage in one-on-one interaction with students when explaining new concepts. However, for some classrooms both asynchronous and synchronous communication is present.

Samantha,

Don't you think both types communication has their place in online learning? I use synchronous communication for virtual office hours. It is a great tool.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Actually, I do not decide whether to use asynchronous or synchronous communication tools. This decision is made by the online University for which I teach. I am required to use a chat twice a week and I am required to use the discussion board, along with announcements and learning files that contain information regarding the course in particular, and the institution in general.

The majority are asynchronous but I do have "live" office hours were students can utilize the chat room to get immediate responses.

Donald,

Many institutions do that. It is important that students can utilize these technology as they are used in the work place more.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Jessica,

Virtual office hours are a great way to use the chat rooms. I actually use it with my face to face also.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

The main factor I would consider is factoring in different time zones of students; online classes are appealing to most people because they have busy schedules and need classes they can work around their schedule, not classes that they have to work their schedule around. As such, asynchronous communication would be the overall choice because it allows students to reach out when it is convenient for them. However, I also believe synchronous communication should be available should the student feel that they need an actual one-on-one real time discussion with the instructor, especially if it involves not understanding an assignement because it is hard to convey what you don't understand through an email sometimes.

I think it is smart to use both asynchronous and synchronous communication tools in online courses. I think online courses are mainly revolved around synchronous communication because the students are allowed to complete the work when they want, whether it be 1:00pm or 1:00am as long as it is completed by the due date. I would use synchronous tools most of the time with online courses. The good thing about online is that you can use the chat function which is asynchronous. This tool is useful because it is a direct, real-time, activity that can benefit the student.

Tiffany,

You must factor the time zones if the scope of your distance program is students from everywhere. If you do synchronous chats you have to make them available to everyone.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Kaitlin,

True, you have a concrete plan for using synchronous in your course. I think the recording function is a great tool for types of learning as students can always refer them.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

As stated by many others, the University provides and expects utilization of both synchronous and asynchronous communication tools. Students can communicate via instant messaging and the live chat. I schedule one live chat and two faculty hours per week. I used to do the opposite and found that students struggled to attend both chats, so I combined the material into one live chat discussion. Lately, however, fewer students attend the synchronous chat. Asynchronously, we communicate via email and as I mentioned, they can view the chat archive. I believe that students who attend or listen to the archived chat do much better in the classroom. On occasion, I will call a student in order to clarify an assignment. The problem I have experienced with calling a student is often the student will call back, and not respect the faculty hour schedule.

I have also taught at another online school. All communication was asynchronous. Toward the end of my tenure at this school, tools to prepare videos were being recommended. We also had to provide a telephone number in the classroom. This was the only synchronous communication tool. I only provided my cell number. Faculty hours were scheduled and posted, but students would call anytime; so they did not respect the posted hours. I no longer facilitate courses at this school.

Sandra,

Thank you for your post. You provide good info. I wonder, if those that implement both the synchronous and asynchronous in an online course? It amazes me how many programs promote anytime, anywhere learning but require synchronous connection. Don't you think that is in conflict?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

In my course I use all types of communication except for social media... I plan to change that this year.

The assignments for the course are asynchronous assignments, but I offer a variety of alternative communications such as telephone calls, appointments in live chat, and instant messaging. A private live chat allows me to provide a visual response to their questions on the Whiteboard.

I use the asynchronous communication tools to identify a student that should be contacted. I will ask an adviser to intervene when my efforts are fruitless. A poor performance or the absence of a response to my formative feedback invokes my protocol for me to engage the student in a live conversation.

Our university has IM (Instant Messaging). After I identify a student that should be contacted for live exchanges, I use IM "to hunt them down" 24/7. Sometimes the student is experiencing time management issues due to their work schedules. I have talked with students at 4 am after they have returned home from work.

Albert,

What great strategies. I find it refreshing when instructors find creative ways to engage students to guide them through the learning process. You may want to look at the at remind101. It is a great IM app.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I find that most students, most of the time, prefer to work at their own pace, according to their own schedule. Thus, I limit my real-time group interaction to one or two "Wimba" or other type sessions per term. This seems to work well.

David,

I tend to teach more like you. Some institutions require synchronous session which tends to restrict students but many institutions feel that type of connection helps students stay in the course.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I typically use asynchronous communication tools in my classes as the classes are pre-structured, but I am beginning to implement synchronous tools to help clarify student learning and reduce confusion more quickly.

Stacy,

That is a great strategy. I have used synchronous tools to facilitate office hours.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

My online course is set up to be asynchronous so that the student can move through the course at their own pace. However, I am open to using a synchronous tool such as Elluminate if necessary to ensure course material is understood. One of the reasons I am teaching my current course is that I am available on campus, we have a hybrid program, if the student needs to sit down and talk to somebody face to face to better understand the material.

Sign In to comment