Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

June,

Having someone else set up your course can be bad and good. Saves you a lot of time, but you may want to customize it a bit. Hope you have your "hand" in it a bit or at least they listen to your needs/ideas. Thanks.

I agree - engaging the students so that they don't feel "lost in cyberspace" is important. Students need to feel like they are connected to the other students and especially to the instructor.

Thus, if using asynchronous communication, it is important to be consistent in checking in. In addition, it is important to keep sending invitations for all students to participate in the synchronous communications.

Nathan,

Good answer. Have you tried making students responsible for other students?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Most of the time the decision to use asynchronous or synchronous communication tools is decided by the university. I prefer a blend. I like to lecture via the asynchronous but prefer the student discussions to be in a synchronous environment to improve the quality of the postings and the overall communications.

Hi Dr. Crews

I do not get to decide whether I use asynchronous or synchronous communication with my online students. I use both. For example, our DB (discussion board) is asynchronous and when I email my students, etc. all of this is asynchronous. I also have live chat and instant message for office hours, etc. This is synchronous learning.

Thanks
Alana

Alana,

Which method do you think is most effective? Do your students use the chat?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Tonya,

Interesting, do you have good participation in the synchronous environment?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

At the college that I work at, the courses are designed for us.We can offer additional teaching materials and announcements to help students with the assignments. There is both synchronious and asychonious systems used in our classrooms. We have discussion boards and Live Chat sessions. The Live chat sessions are recorded for students to pick up later. I find that for very technical assignments it is helpful for students to be present for Live Chats, so that they can ask questions in real time.

I am always torn on this question. I teach for one school that has synchronous chats, but find that I never get more than 2 -3 students to attend. Those who attend are either doing really well and just like the reassurance (which is nice but they would be ok without it) or those who are struggling a lot. Those who are struggling usually come but spend the time lost and wishing they could understand the material. Occasionally there is a student who really benefits but that happens only rarely.

I find that in math most of my students do better with a video that I create that they can watch, re-watch, pause when they need to rethink something, etc. So, for me if I were to choose I would choose asynchronous communication 95% of the time.

I do occasionally instant message with my students and do find that to be effective. I guess that I feel that synchronous communication is really best one-on-one. But in the long term that would take more time than any of us have to work with each of our students one-on-one each week.

So, we have find a balance and find the most effective teaching methods to minimize the need of synchronous communication, so we have the time to use it when needed.

I agree that it is important to build relationships with our students but think we can do that without synchronous tools. But I agree that some students really need that closer connection with their instructors.

I actually have the opportunity to teach for several schools and they all have different ideas of what works best. I learned using only the asynchronous mode for my graduate degree but it was mostly research and it was perfect.

For my math and science classes that I teach, I actually like the combined affect of the two. I use the asynchronous for DB topics but use the synchronous method for live chats and seminars to discuss information and hw for papers, current events and problem solving using multi-media white-board, student presentations through adobe acrobat and geniusnet for demonstrating how a math problem is worked.

Although I have facilitated a math class using an asynchronous format, I prefer the synchronous.

I think is it is teacher choice and school specific but you can do any class any way.

I like to use mostly asynchronous communication tools. I think that many students are attending school online for the convenience. These students may feel that they are not part of the class if they are unable to attend live events. Asynchronous communication also gives time for the instructor and students to plan their responses. This can lead to a richer discussion. Asynchronous conversations can go on for days and evolve.

Synchronous communication is great in limited quantities. These communications are wonderful when presenting complex material. Students can ask questions and also steer the discussion to fit their needs. This feels very much like a face-to-face classroom in that an instructor is a very human presence. These sessions should be mandatory with a preset time before class starts.
This way a live learning community can be built

I think that there should be a balance between both so that the student can attain knowledge both ways, depending on their learning styles (and their schedules).

However, if I had had to choose, I would recommend that the instructor use more asynchronous tools given the varied schedules and time zones of the students.

- Dr. Eileen Wibbeke

I don't get to decide in my online course. Students must use both synchronous and asynchronous features each week. Students use synchronous features in our live chats and discussion forums throughout the week.

My university provides both asynchronous and synchronous communication tools. Some features such as recorded lectures are part of the classroom. However, I remind students to review them. For example, in my chat sessions, I explain to students each week how to plan assignments starting with making a to do list and research key word list using the recorded lectures and assignment directions.
The key, to me, is to supplement the existing tools with facilitation and coaching as well as motivational materials that keep students using all tools each week in a class

Deborah,

Great Answer! You are right! It is a challenge for students to use ALL of the tools for the success.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Paul,

Do students do better in one choice rather than the other? just curious. . .

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Eileen,

You are right! Both are valuable but with the concept of anytime, anywhere learning; asynchronous is a must!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Julie,

You make great points. I think you are right about the usage of both deliveries. They need to be the right tool for the right job!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

kristen,

What a great post! You need to be sharing your experiences and your skills.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment