Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Miriam,

Sounds like you have a strategy. Try providing virtual office hours and see how many students take advantage of it.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

The majority of communication is performed via asynchronous communication tools in my class. I do offer an opportunity each week for synchronous learning. I have a weekly "live help" hour. I do require students to "sign up" in advance for for this time (24 hours), however, those that do participate seem to find it beneficial. I provide an opportunity for students to ask questions and/or work on assignment questions. Some students enjoy listening to questions from their peers.

I have also tried a weekly "live chat" session at a designated time. This worked well when I was asking students to select topics for group work. The "live chat" allowed students to be online at the same time without actually seeing or hearing each other.

Angela,

This is such a strong strategy. It is interesting that you have students sign up in advanced. That is a great way to make students plan for the interaction. Do you change the time it happens from week to week?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Our programs are hybrid, so our students really get the best of both worlds. General Education classes are online and asynchronous. However, the first two classes of every mod are synchronous which provides students the opportunity to "meet" their instructors in a slightly more personal way and really helps to calm the nerves of those who are anxious about delving into potentially unfamiliar technological territory on their own. Support is always there for students in asynchronous classes, but having that initial interaction makes a world of difference.

Victoria,

Your institution has an interesting way to introduce students to education. I think we have to be very careful with the idea that anything that does not have synchronous interaction does not have value and will "hurt" students ability to learn. Using good communication strategies can go a long way in providing the interaction students must have to learn.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Dr. Wilkinson,
I actually use both. asynchronous with my discussion board participation and posting class announcements. With the synchronous, I hold live chat sessions with students, giving them real time communication with me. But one point I would like to make , is that I will use more synchronous communication with certain student, if I see that they are really struggling. This usually involves one on one chat sessions, or often discussing assignments over the phone.

The synchronous tools like discussion board work is great if there is a question that enables students to provide different examples or examples related to their work experience.
Then they can 'discuss' in same time (week) with their peers.

Dale,

Sound likes you have great strategies in place to work with students to ensure they are engaged.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Janis,

That is a great way to use the tool. Do you provide points for those students who participate using the synchronous tools?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

As used by many institutions, decision on whether to use asynchronous or synchronous communication tools lies on the organization and not on the individual instructor. On that note, most organizations use asynchronous tools than that of synchronous because asynchronous communication tools enables students work at their own pace while ensuring that they meet the deadline for each assignment submission.

Another determinant in deciding which communication tools to use- lies on the availability of those courses that can easily be taught online.

Thanks,

Victor

I would make that decision based on the task. Synchronous for my chat or instant message capabilities. But, truly, I would RECORD the chat so that it is available in an asynchronous method as well.

Victor,

Yes, but I find that many students won't participate synchronous unless there are points involved. Many of them take online courses because it does provide them with the flexibility they wanted, ready or not!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Janis,

Do students show up for your synchronous chats? I find unless I tie a grade to it students don't participate.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

My courses use both synchronous and asynchronous communication tools to reach the biggest audience. The asynchronous tools allow students to connect with our content at any time and allows students to budget their time according to their schedules. The synchronous tools allow for a personal interaction with students who can join and participate. This gives the class the best of both tools and allows the students to work independently and as a group in the weekly meetings.

Michael,

These are great communication strategies. Are your students required to attend the synchronous sessions?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Most of the online classes I teach don't have any required asynchronous components, and so I normally stick with asynchronous tools. I do like to offer extra synchronous chats to students, but I've found that most students don't really take advantage of those opportunities. I do understand why; they are taking online classes in the first place because they have busy schedules and can't always be available for synchronous learning. Still, it's nice to offer those opportunities for the students who want them. Also, I always record chats so that students who can't make live chats are able to listen later if they want to.

Jennifer,

I agree with you. Most students take online courses because it frees time. There are ways to engage and develop skills that take advantage of the asynchronous environment.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

The majority of the tools used are asynchronous.
Archived lectures , videos, discussion boards and scheduled assignments allow for flexible learning time for students.

There are also synchronous tools used :
Live Chats and office hours are way for some F2F time when students feel the need for guidance.

Together the use of both tools enhance optimal learning situations for students online.

What do you think?

Jean

Hi Kelly,
I actually don't have a choice in the matter. I have to provide chats, at least one a week. If students are having trouble, I have set up a synchronous chat (by appointment)in order to accommodate the student. It appears that if a student hears a voice explaining to them what needs to be done, they do better. Asynchronous communication is also heavily relied upon, which includes discussion boards. The students currently do not receive a grade for the DB's, but it is another way to reach out and communicate with them.

Tina,

I like your strategy. You can email them and set that time that is just for them. I just haven't had luck with students participating in synchronous chats without making it worth their while!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment