Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Wayne ,

You make some really good points. I do both, and I don't use the phone!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Paul,

I think you can use multimedia learning objects that can improve asynchronous learning. You can also create a gaming atmosphere that may pique interest.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Cheryl,

I think that is crucial in so many courses. I do keep my communications through a computer; I don't use the phone except for rare occasions.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Darcy,

Interesting, about the live office hours. Do you hold them through the computer?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Errol,

What a great post! I agree that there are exciting tings to use but they must work! Publishers have some really cool products that can be easy to implement.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Shelly,

True, and they have to use both which I think is important. We don't always get to choose our medium of communication in the real world.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Detra,

Which do you think is more effective? Do you think students are more adept in one over the other?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Emily,

I agree with you. When you offer anytime, anywhere with any device learning, asynchronous becomes the key.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Dr. Crews,

Unfortunately I do not decide this. It is decided by the universities, where I teach. However, if it were by decision, then I was definitely going to have both as both are very effective in online teaching. Many students feel comfortable with asynchronous ones because they feel like they are remaining invisible as other people are not online when they are asking or posting something. On the other hand, other students want one-to-one interaction with instructors and classmates to feel like they are really going to a class and learning something.

Thank You,
Srabasti Dutta

I try to focus on asynchronous tools since often students come from different time zones. For office hours that are pre-posted Instant Messaging works well as a synchronous way to communicate 1:1. Chats, while a good way to synchronously connect do not often generate a high percentage of the class for non-traditional working students since schedule may often conflict with chat times. Discussion boards are good methods for engaging students while not making the activity time bound. Working to create the most effective method where all students feel engaged in the learning experience helps create effective learning environments.

I think it depends on the course objectives and content. For example, in critical thinking and literature course it is important to have some synchronous communication because active discussion can further critical thinking exponentially sometimes in a way that asynchronous communication does not because it tends to lag a bit.

I use asynchronous AND synchronous
It's aynchronous for the discussion boards
It's synchrnous in th chat session; when a student contacts me for aimmediate response.

The decision of which communication tool to use is really a matter of what balance of asynchronous and synchronous tools should be used for any one assignment of learning subject. It also requires a dynamic so to readjust the balance if necessary as feedback from students is received. It is often helpful to many to have an element of flexibility built in to the structure so as to provide all students with the best online learning experience.

The university supplies the communication tools that allows faculty to use both methods. This is extremely important to the development of an online learner because there are still too many colleges out there that do not use synchronous communication tools. For those schools, I would think that students would have a harder time with online eduction. I know for me, depending on the material, I may rely on the PPT to highlight material. Sometimes, a demonstration is more practical so they can see "how" to do something. Giving someone a written tutorial is not the same thing as seeing it performed. Deciding what method to use depends on what would be the most beneficial method for the learners.

In my courses for the school I am taking this training for, the choice is made for me. I am required to communicate through both synchronous methods (including IM and what are called chats, but which would actually be what is called "conferencing" here in the training) and asynchronous discussion boards.

Most of the communication is done in an asynchronous manner as the synchronous sessions are not required. They are useful to have available for some students though who may wish to raise questions or simply have a schedule time to "be in class."

I focus on having material prepared in my courses for asynchronous communication, as this is the core emphasis of my online classes.

Dr. Crews, it depends on the specific task you are undertaking.

For example, if you are giving a presentation, it is best to record that, then have the students be able to replay that at any time, based on what works for their TimeZone.

If students need questions answered right away, then that would be the ideal application of a synchronous environment… Such as an IM session… So that the students can get answers to their questions right away.

E-mail is a good example of an asynchronous communication, and discussion board posting is also another good example of asynchronous communication.

Mike Crowley

I agree, much of the choice is made for us. I do extra chats and office hours to provide additional face time to my students. I also encourage text messages as it is a great way to communicate and still have a record of it. I think that when students are struggling with something that is the time to use synchronous communication tools.

Greetings Dr. Crews and Colleagues:

In your online course, how do you decide whether to use asynchronous or synchronous communication tools?

Primarily, the use of synchronous tools may effectively enhance the learning activity as well as the learning environment when the content is particularly complex. For instance, within some of my upper-level undergraduate as well as graduate courses, the use of spreadsheets for assignment completion is either required or greatly facilitates the completion of the assignment. Demonstrating the techniques of building formulas and organizing the information for the students during a synchronous chat may greatly enhance their learning, particularly if the students are kinesthetic learners. In addition, students may ask questions which may be immediately cleared, whereas, with other forms of communication, there may be a delay in response (albeit brief).

The availability of asynchronous versus synchronous tools will also either provide the instructor with the opportunity to engage students in one medium versus another. Within the classrooms in which synchronous tools are limited, I typically include detailed powerpoint presentations with extensive notes which the students may use for assignment completion or general comprehension.

Best,

Susan

Greetings Kristen:

I also teach for several online insitutions, and some have learning platforms which do or do not allow for synchronous learning. The institutions that do not encourage (but do not require) instructors to develop youtube videos or incorporate Camtasia into powerpoint presentations.

I agree that math and science online courses (as well as fields which apply the fundamentals of these disciplines) may be of greater benefit to students when at least the option of synchronous learning exists.

Best,
Susan

In my course, I do not have a choice, but I like to make the most of the requirements to conduct a weekly live meeting in addition to the discussion boards to satisfy both the synchronous and asynchronous components of the course. The live meeting I conduct is a webinar via Adobe Connect. It's a great way to provide students an overview of the week, to review important concepts from the previous week, and to offer specific instructions for assigned projects. It helps keep students on track and establish a strong connection to our online experience.

Sign In to comment