Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Betsy,

Checking on whether the course objective were met, is essential. That's what our job is as online instructors, to move the students toward and help them achieve the learning outcomes. If student are not meeting the objectives, there may be several reasons why this is the case. We have to investigate those reasons. Thanks!

Dr. Crews,

All of the evaluation methods are important and could be used in various combinations to best understand the course, what its intent was, and the success of the students in pursuing it. If pressed, in mathematics, I would focus on three key evaluations.

The Portfolio would be first in giving a clear understanding of what the total scope of the course is, and how students progressed from start to finish. We use a combination of Weekly Projects, Discussion Boards, and 3rd Party “Testing Software”. By reviewing all this material, and seeing how student’s grades progress through the weeks, a good sense of the student’s “development” can be achieved.

Peer Assessment is also critical, as it provides for a solid comparison to similar courses at other colleges and universities. This greatly assists in the accreditation process regardless of which region the university is located in. The other part of Peer Assessment (for career schools) is an assessment of the course from persons currently practicing in industry. This will show quickly whether the material being covered and the quality of student emerging is acceptable for “a hire”. I have interviewed many students for industry positions with “good grades”, only to find with minimal questioning, that they understand very little of what they were supposed to have learned. Of what they did learn, much was not applicable to the job!

Student evaluations need to be looked at with suspicion. These can be greatly biased by the grade expectation, and the level of the course. Students 25 years out of high school with no college experience, often expect the university faculty in entry level courses to be similar to their high school teachers, and to spend much time in personal guidance and tutoring. They are often “shocked” to find that Professors are not as accessible as they expected. At higher course levels the situation can be reversed. More advanced IT students think they are “pretty good”, and when then receiving a “D” grade in their course work can become indignant.

These are just thoughts that come quickly to mind…

Comments?

Anthony

Anthony,

We do have to try to understand where our students are coming from as they vary in many different ways. I too believe peer assessment is very helpful. It's a way to get more feedback to students. Thanks!

Student Course evaluations (which we deliver at the end of each 8 week course, when paired with outside or peer review can be very useful for the instructor. Very often (and this is certainly the case with myself) instructors can fall into patterns or habits which may be comfortable ways of presenting course material, but, over time, may not meet all the demands of changing curriculum, or realities within the student body.

Having an outside observer come in and evaluate an instructor, simply by asking: "Given the information I just took in, could I do what we're asking students to do?" is a great way to have a respected professional give the instructor constructive criticism, because we'll all need some eventually.

Eric,

Feedback from students and your peers can provide a well-rounded set of feedback that will help you improve the course. Thanks!

Hi Dr. Crews,

Personally, I believe all of the evaluation methods are important; however, if I had to choose one then, I would lean toward the portfolio method. Portfolios' allows for assessment throughout the course, which demonstrates students' competency and efforts from the beginning to the end.

Best...
Dr. Sealey

Dr. Naomi,

It is hard to just pick on, isn't it. ;-) It's nice we have so many choices. A combination of evaluations gives us a variety of feedback.

Thanks for your input.

Dr. Crews,

This is an excellent question. I think peer evaluations are helpful...and I also think trended student results are helpful. You can't really tell a whole lot about your teaching methods by a single student's evaluation. Many different things play into that evaluation and it isn't always the instructor's fault.

David Pittman

Since the course should be student-centered, I believe the most comprehensive feedback needed would be student feedback and student grades. What is also important is reviewing student engagement during the course. And if possible, student interviews at the end of a course could help close the loop. And I would say the next most important type of feedback could be from peer observations or the suggestions of other educators.

David,

We are required to have peer reviews each year. It's great to see their feedback and get ideas form others. Thanks!

John,

I see where you are coming from. Thanks for bringing up student interviews. These are also essential if you are assessing an entire program as well. Nice job.

I agree with you. I take the same approach when it comes to assignments. You make a strong point about assessing a learner's ability to 'think outside the box' in terms of both research and creativity (provided the assignment allows for it). Exams, especially practical exams reveal a student's grasp of knowledge toward the lesson or subject matter.

I would definitely say easy to read and easy to follow rubrics , and as detailed as possible while brevity being the name of the game.

Steve,

Definitely. Practical exams, student performance, etc. help us see what the students know and/or don't know or what they can do or can't do. Thanks!

Gary,

The key are the criteria. They have to be detailed enough to help students understand the expectations, yet allow for creativity and help the instructor be more objective in his/her assessment. Thanks1

The final discussion should include some type of student reflection and a self- evaluation each term will also help close the loop.

Lisa,

Definitely. When students reflect upon their learning and self-evaluate, they learn more about themselves. Thanks!

Hello Dr. Crews,

You're welcome! Yes, you are 'right on spot'! A combination is key to a powerful and well rounded evaluation. Have a great day!

Best...
Dr. Sealey

Hello Dr. Crews,

I would argue that closing the loop needs to allow for a holistic view of achievement. To that end, I am a big believer in self assessment as I am my most harsh critic. Student evaluations provide me with the tools I need to improve my teaching. Finally, peer assessment is also helpful in certain situations, especially when the person evaluating me is someone I respect as an educator. It is difficult to pick just one because while I may be able to assess myself, the outside feedback provides me with information I may not have thought of or was unwilling to admit. It is always a good idea to challenge oneself within the profession and use the feedback tools that will allow me to become the best version of myself.

Scott Racek

Scott,

Good argument. It seems like I self-assess all the time too. But, don't be too critical on yourself. Take care.

Sign In to comment