Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Nicole,

Yes, one choice is difficult. It's good to have a variety of evaluations to get more information that we can work with. Anything that gives us that overall picture you talked about. Thanks!

Deana,

Excellent point. It always depends. It may also depend on our familiarity with various types of evaluations and our experiences with evaluations. Thanks for your input.

Marjorie,

Me too. I always ask students to write at least one comment on what I could do better to make the course better. It's good to get that feedback. . .and they are honest! ;-)

For me assignments and examination will provide the most feedback.
Assignments are written to show how well the student uses the knowledge which supports the objectives of the course plus assess an ability to think outside the box where some research is needed to complete the assignment. Examinations should show that the student has a good knowledge of the subject matter and has an ability to speak about what he has learned fluently.

Hello:

I believe summative evaluations will help me close the loop. I believe the best feedback an instructor can get is from the students. The feedback from students has helped me revise my syllabus in order to improve the learning experience of students who follow them. I have found that when the students summarize their learning experience it allows me to have a holistic perspective of the objectives being taught. I have found at times some of the topics have been difficult to understand. As a instructor, this is very beneficial information because what may seem simple in nature to me may not be as simple for my students.

Christi Monk

Edwin,

We do learn a lot from the students' work. It's good to get formative feedback as well. We don't want to base everything on summative feedback. Thanks!

Christi,

I love feedback from students and I do think the course revision process should be ongoing. Thanks for your input.

I have designer and web support to modify my courses using various ‘Classroom Assessment Techniques’ (CAT). I do retire, refresh, and rewrite my formative assessments based on the facts that:
1. Quality of student learning is proportional, though not the only determinant, to the quality of teaching and so, in order to improve student learning, increasing the quality of instruction will help.
2. To improve effectiveness, first make goals and objectives explicit and then get specific, comprehensible feedback on the extent to which students achieve these goals and objectives.
3. To improve learning, students need appropriate and focused feedback early and often. They also need to assess their own learning.
4. The type of assessment most likely to improve teaching and learning is that conducted by me to answer specific questions I have formulated regarding my own teaching.
5. Systematic inquiry and intellectual challenge are powerful sources of motivation, growth, and renewal for teachers like me.
6. Classroom assessment can be done by any teacher(s) involved in teaching a course.
7. By collaboration with colleagues and actively involving students, both I and students enhance learning and personal satisfaction.

Often I modify my concepts based on some of these concepts associated with multiple formative assessments (CATs). These questions help me reevaluate my formative assessment techniques and reform them during every semester:
1. What were the most important points we discussed today/this week?
2. Summarize what we just did.
3. What was the clearest point/muddiest point about today’s material?
4. Why is this concept relevant?
5. What is wrong with the following statement . . .?
6. Define a key term that has provided a focal point for today’s discussion.
7. Make a drawing/graph that illustrates (utilizes) a concept.
8. Draw a concept map linking up main ideas [optional: that you provide].

Vimlarani,

CATs are excellent things to research and use as well. Look for Angelo and Cross and classroom assessment techniques on Google and you'll find a lot of tips and things to try. Thanks!

Dr. Crews, it seems to me that a combination of student evaluations and peer Faculty reviews would give an overall good comprehensive feedback to assist in closing the loop. The peer Faculty reviews could include analysis of assessment effectiveness relative to course and institution outcome objectives and critical review of practices and rubrics for grading those assessments. Student evaluations, which are quite frequently involve emotion based on the grade the student received (or expects to receive), may contain less “honest” information, but would still be useful for judging perceptions.

Dr. Cecil,

You are right. I love the combination approach. When we get different individuals' points of view, we get various, but typically well-rounded feedback. Thanks for your input.

In my field of teaching I have to vote for the "Portfolio". In visual communication for instance the capstone portfolio is an on-going goal from the beginning of the student's career to the very end of their academic career. The portfolio is also the tool the student will use the most to be successful in the professional marketplace.

As an academic artifact, the portfolio can be used as a strong basis to evaluate the success of the entire curriculum and the program itself and its outcomes. This may not be so for other disciplines but with the creative arts, the portfolio is probably one of the strongest tools for closing the loop.

Craig,

The portfolio can be an essential evaluative tool in many courses. The students have to be given flexibility in the development of their personal portfolios to demonstrate their progression of learning. Thanks!

The types of evaluations which allow me to “close the loop” are:
• Anonymous student feedback.
• Self-evaluation surveys
• Manger evaluations
• Retention summaries relative to others teaching the same course at the same time.
• Grade summaries relative to others teaching the same course at the same time.
• Post education surveys of past students.
• Pre-test and Post-test which do not contribute to the student’s grade.

Walter van Poollen

Walter,

Good list. I like that you added the idea of surveying past students. They can tell us a lot about the courses they took and the degree with which they graduated. We can also ask them if they were prepared for the work world. Thanks!

I think that, considering the types of evaluation through the process of closing the loop, one must evaluate in multiple fashions such as the use of discussion boards, unit quizzes, and self-evaluation. I try to carefully compare the results and make the necessary changes. It is an ongoing process.

Although it is something that we already do, as a new instructor to my specific course, I am looking forward to my students' portfolios being reviewed by professionals in the field.

Lucille,

A variety of evaluations may be used to fully understand what the students know, and possibly more important, what they do not know. It is definitely an ongoing process. Thanks!

Heather,

Professionals in the field can give a whole different dimension to the evaluation process. It's another work related process that the students can benefit from. Thanks!

I believe a combination of the weekly discussion board responses, the homework, and the quizzes combine to give me a flow of the comprehension for each student. This gives me a sense of the dificiencies in the way the material is absorbed by the class as a whole and gets me thinking of better delivery methods for understanding of particular concepts.

Sign In to comment