Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

This section provides much fodder for thought. The use of labs can put content into a practical application, can help students process the content beyond rote learning, and can provide the opportunity for group interactions, all of which are positive to mastery of course content.

Acknowledging students' work/learning/accomplishments by providing appropriate and timely feedback, offering rewards or extra credits, are some ways to encourage/keep student engagement.

Having sessions for testing and progress checks is important. I like to have sessions where we are going over the more real-world examples. They can then see how this all relates to what they are learning. I give them chances to give their stories and ask any questions. I also encourage more "ambiguous" problems that might have multiple solutions.

Laboratory design for asynchronous learning should approximate the actual performance environment as closely as possible. This also applies to simulations. The main points are to ensure good time management, and that students are not overloaded with tasks, so they have time for interaction and feedback. Student-to-student and student-to-instructor interactions are particularly important, and the instructor must provide feedback thoroughly and frequently. All materials should be within the LMS. This course also mentions that students should participate in discussion boards and communicate frequently what they are finding. However, it is not clear to me how that will be accomplished in asynchronous settings, as discussion boards may contain initial postings from students who have since completed their studies, so cannot see responses of other students.

Lab learning can be effective with the right design with allowing for creativity. Using small 'chunks' of content, providing examples of quality work can open the doors to better learning and retention.  As a faculty teaching, there are so many different technologies ith digital software that I would need to take training sessions on how to use some of them as I was not familiar with several of those identified in this section of the course. Students who self-paced with completing learning activities may run into time management issues (and many do) if there are not a set of expectations or a course schedule where they should be at certain times throughout the semester.  Great tips with time management strategies by Chickering and Gamson

Fortunately in these times we have countless ideas to communicate ideas, produce content, distribute and even monetize through the Internet. Information resources that are not made can generally be developed online with willingness, collaboration, and creativity.

It is very important to have continual feedback from students in order to ensure the course is engaging and efficient. 

I have learned that structure, and assignments with clear directions and grading expectations allow students to know how to succeed in the online environment. It is also important to highlight and recognize student success. 

Keeping online students engaged in an asynchronous evnironment is very challenging. Feedback and communication is key and we focus on this as soon as students enter the program. Students must remember that facilitators do not work seven days a week 24 hours a day and they need to learn to manage their time. Students always seem to wait until the weekend to attempt assignments and if they have an issue no one is there to help but IT. I email and message students to let them know that I am there and my on-line office hours are posted. Accountability and responsibility. 

In this module I learned the importance in time management and Best Practices for Online Teaching.  The students who are procrastinators will have a difficult time trying to complete an online course successfully.  It is important to have frequent check-ins throughout the course and give rewards or recognition to the students to keep them motivated and engaged.  I like the thought of incorporating games to reinforce concepts and have the students remember the topics being taught.   

I thought the best practices list was really helpful. It gave me a lot of ideas for possible synchonous and asynchronous activities! I also appreciated the section on dealing with asynchonous anxiety.

It is very important in an asynchronous environment specifically, for instructors to keep up with accurate and timely grading, also communication with students regarding their progress.

Constructive feedback on asynchronous labs so students can reAttempt the lab to gain a better understanding. Deadlines need to be thrown out and the course should be more fluid. Giving students a weekly schedule is good to keep them on track but remember why students are choosing to do the asychronous courses. It is because they need to manage multiple things. 

I usually set small weekly deadlines to keep students on task. I am going to incorporate using peer to peer groups for students to work on assignments, providing ample time for them to give each other feedback prior to turning in their assignments. I am going to work on a bonus or extra credit for providing constructive feedback.

Time management is an important skill for the students to be successful in an asynchronous learning environment.   It is also important for the instructor to give feedback and be prompt with grading so the student can self evaluate their own learning.

The 7 Principles were helpful.

The emphasis on feedback for students regardless of that tied to an assessment is a good reminder of instructor presence, as opposed to the detachment that can develop over time.

Comment on Mindy Hodge's post

I agree with you Mindy.. Including learning outcome questions in all tasks to evaluate comprehension and proficiency will be beneficial.

Simulations are a great way for the students and instructors to evaluate their understanding of the course content. They can also be fun and competitive. 

This topic is veryn important to implement the engaging of the student, kotos is a fun way of engaging what has been taught.

Sign In to comment