Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Interesting point, Harry. The customization and self-directed aspects absolutely provide students with an opportunity to become more independent in their learning much faster.

I must agree with several of your replies.
The new technology as far as a blended learning adds a sense of ownership and self sufficency to the learning environment. It can make for a more dynamic environment than the standard classroom.

Time management and researching skill are something that should develop and get stronger.
Writing should improve being that text input is something used greatly with the new technology.

Good points, Jon. How do you specifically focus on the development of time management and research skills with your students, using new technology?

I think it impacts their ability to be able to take ownership of their own learning. If they take ownership they assume responsibility for its accuracy, applicability to real world experiences. It allows them to realize how they learn and apply that process for other areas of knowledge.

An instructor can incorporate new technology into the course by requiring students to use certain programs (i.e. PowerPoint, Excell, etc.) in regards to course projects. This allows students to enhance their technology base and future workforce skills.

I feel it is also important for an instructor to encourage students to use various technology mediums to assist students in regards to their learning styles. I encourage my students to understand their learning style, embrace it, and maximize their abilities. Using technology can assist a student in regards to this.

Can you be more specific, Melissa about how you see new technology maximizing student learning styles? Are you referring to the diversity of approaches or the technology itself?

Sometimes breaking up assignments into smaller chunks may work. Posting a breakdown / schedule of what to complete and when does wonders.

Giving a list of basic links / sites can help.
Suggestions on search topics, names of people involved and technique can allow students to dig deeper on there own.

I have a great deal of students who hate reading and writing. Dread it in fact. They would rather use technology. I have learned the value of technology working at a technical school. I am the opposite of my students I would rather read and write and be creative that learn a complex computer program because my brain is not accustomed to that. Using new technology makes one learn a lot of important skills not least of which is the ablilty to just dive in and not to be afraid. New technology can be daunting at first but students realize they have to start at the bottom and work up. These are good lessons for life as it will be the same situation in their jobs in "real life." If they have the ability to just go for it and not need to be the head of the company or know everything right away they will be better off. Using new technology also give students the good skills of reading or seeing something in one place/way and applying it to another i/e the program itself.

Good points, Ben. So, what are your thoughts on "new literacy" skills that students can develop using new technology? That is, digital literacy...can you think of ways to encourage literacy skills in students using new technology?

Well said Scott. I find that many of the younger students have very limited social skills. They do not know how to talk and deal with people face to face. They are use to texting and email. Sad

Ok, so Jasen and Scott...how, then, can teachers work with the students to still develop the kinds of social skills you see as missing? We cannot rely on technology, as we all know, but can use it to enhance what we already need to teach while at the same time making use of new skills that are being developed as a result of the technology use. Good discussion...

Using new technology facilitates the students to "think outside the box". It can also lead the student from a superficial understanding of a subject to a more indepth understanding instead. By providing for the use of new technologies (like the internet) the students can learn much more than that which can be taught through lecture alone.

Yes, Jamie, the extension of learning is wonderful using new technology. How has it changed how you teach and how you design your instruction?

This depends on the type of technology and the proposed outcomes of the learning objectives. Fro example: I teach a course in Microsoft Word. This is an excellent word processing program. I teach all of the basic and advanced skills, however, I include projects that have the students research ideas and topics. They must hen create research papers that have them using their critical thinking along with the functions of the technology.

By combining several tasks into one software program, students get reinforcement on different levels that also work within different classes.

I agree with Marvin. I am also am wary about the non technical sites out there that have a lot of discussion but no facts. I spend a lot of time trying to fix what someone on the net broke.

SO what is your solution, Craig? What kind of sites would you work with or create yourself?

My Students were made more accountable because I could monitor their web course progress and counsel them if there was a problem or give them the kudos for a job well done. It made them relize that the training they were involved in was serious and they need to excel to achieve their goals. They really did learn the content better in this format.

Yes, Jack, the accountability is raised as is the immediate feedback and progress of students as you say. How would you say this has changed your role and approach as an instructor?

New technologies help students improve their critical thinking and problem solving skills. When students use software they might encounter software glitches where the software does something by itself that the student does not want. For example, I have noticed there are a lot of software glitches in Microsoft Word. Students will need to use Microsoft Word at work and at school and will need to be use their critical thinking and problem solving skills in order to overcome any glitches. Critical thinking and problem solving skills are very helpful in the workplace even when you are not using a computer. Students need to think critically and solve problems when they are working with co-workers, clients or customers.

Sign In to comment