Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

My school has just purchased three white boards to be installed soon. I am anticipating that this new technology will serve as another level of contact for reaching the different style learners we serve. Presently, not all instructors in my department even make use of simple visual media tools like PowerPoint presentations. Hopefully the interactive boards will help bridge this divide just among the teaching staff.

Jerry,
Hopefully, they will not be used only as projection screens but as interactive tools.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

I have not use an electronic white board , but have seen it in action. It improves the attention of your audience and it helps the instructor or speaker create a very interactive discussion.
i am not very good at graphic art, so having a system that help in my short comings is always a welcome site.

Edward,
There are software catalogues of images, graphs, resources etc for various subject areas. This means you don't have to be an artist but if you can locate the useable resources, the technology helps with brainstorming, collaboration, and distribution.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

The Interactive White Board is a great instruction tool to capture student’s work and distribute it – a major asset for brainstorming with a group project. Student can contribute their ideas, edit, discuss – and you can be giving feedback while assessing the student learning process.

Betsy,
Great feedback...do you have any examples of activities you have actually used in class with this technology?

Dr. Ruth Reynard

• Provide opportunities for brainstorming with students including capturing concepts, dialogue sessions, and conversations about topics, ideas, graphics, etc.
• Provide an opportunity to collaborate on the development of various content themes or ideas and promote student involvement

Julie,
Very true...so do you have feedback from students regarding the effectveness from their perspective? What do you think the students find most helpful?

Dr. Ruth Reynard

The course work in Forum 3 suggested using the white board as an interactive tool allowing student to participate by submitting ideas, comments and observations about the course topics. Traditionally, the "white board" in dominated by instructor input, but with advances in digital communication, students should be invited to submit content to the white board as well verses the instructor.
To be honest, I haven't seen used the white board in my classroom often. I use presentation and share my screen with the class while teaching online. I typically use the white board for visual clarification. I would love to invite more interaction in my classroom with the white board by exploring what is possible by doing so. Interested in any ideas on how others use the white board interactively in their current classroom environment.

Mariska,
That is a great idea for the white board. One interactive activity that I find missing in the online classroom is visual critiques. As I student, I found these critiques very important part of interaction in a traditional classroom. I'm searching for way to bring that same spirit of interaction in the online classroom.

Vicki Allen

I use the whiteboard during course discussion. It provides a source of visual aid, which also promotes student interaction/engagement with the course material. The whiteboard is useful to remind students on current activities

I find that students are initially impressed by and quickly become fans of this new technology, and I have also found that students enjoy becoming familiar with using this technology themselves.

anthony,

Do you also "share" the space during discussions?

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Natalie,

So, can you "Share" the screen with your students and have them collaborate directly?

Dr. Ruth Reynard

I believe it does by adding another diminsion to teaching it can create a interesting way to learn and it may challenge students by letting them take the helm on the whiteboard, so to speak. Excellent asset, no classroom should be without one.

Dana,
Do you have specific ways you have found the technology benefits student learning?

Dr. Ruth Reynard

How can the use of an interactive white board heighten interaction with students?

I certainly agree that using an interactive white board can heighten student interaction. Whenever I use a White Board with any of my classes, my students' interaction increases dramatically. Not only is it effective for use in an online environment, but also in an onsite environment. I think that because many students are visual, it can be really encouraging to participate in a discussion while viewing notes captured by the teacher. As a result, students can also get a copy of these captured notes for later reference.

According to Module #3, using an interactive white board is one of the best ways to "maximize technology by capturing student comments, evolving ideas, and collaborative thinking, then distributing that to the whole group and archiving it online for future use." This means that "thinking is not confined to one learning space or group."

As a result, "thinking becomes both critical and dynamic and is owned by more than one person. Students feel more empowered in the process and their ideas become valued. When students' ideas are valued, then they are more likely to stay active in the learning process."

Fialishia O'Loughlin
IADT-Orlando

Hi Naomi, yes - I too love to brainstorm using a white board. Its a great way to capture what everyone in the room is thinking. The beauty of an electronic white board is that we can save all of our notes afterwards (depending on the brand).. definitely one of my favorite features!

Fialishia O'Loughlin

Fialishia,
Very well articulated...if you would, please post a similar post to the forum in the Lounge - my forum is a teaching resources forum. Thank you :)

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Interactive white enhances interaction with students because students are involved in the learning process. Also all content can easily be captured and shared with the entire class. A backup can be made available online for future reference.

Sign In to comment