Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

If the technology is applied properly then we can learn alot. If we choose to ignore the benefits and only look at the surface then we will learn very little. Can we learn from watching TV? It just depends on what we choose to watch

Good points, Dave, and also what we choose to do with what we've learned.

In my view of the effects of new technology for students I believe this is a good thing. Our career field uses new technologies on a regular basis. New technologies many times can make a boring topic an interesting field of study. You may be able to add flare and color information and content that satisfies all the different types of learners we may experience.

Indeed, Mike. The technology itself, however, also presents new ways to process and deliver education, which also brings many changes and opportunities for enrichment and growth. If you think about the different characteristics and functions of the technology and then how the conventional linear flow of teaching and learning took place, you can really appreciate the potential of the creativity and innovation possible.

New technology, such as blogs, allows for students to input their perspectives from their learning experiences, regarding a given topic. I have used a running blog in one of my classes as a tool for helping students to reflect on their learning from the previous week. It is interesting to see what students highlight as the most interesting topic or subject discussed, and to see how they apply their learning. In addition, we use asynchronous learning experiences as well, which allows for students to engage in threaded discusssions regarding a given topic area. This allows space for the demonstration of learning, as well as helps to further the learning process for students as they integrate new perspectives from other student postings, as well as sometimes changing their own perspectives.

This changing technology allows for students to actively engage in the learning process, as opposed to passively learning just from textbook/lectures. I really see an improvement in basic understanding when students actively engage in the learning process.

I believe it gives students new and creative ways to access information. Use of varying technology can give teachers the opportunity to tap into various learning styles and allow non-traditional learners to express themselves in new ways.

Indeed, Christina. That is if instructors maximize the use of new technology with their students. If instructors still try to manage and predetermine every use and application of the technology, however, the learning environment will not necessarily change. How do you support the various learning styles of your students by using new technology?

For my classes, it gives the students the opportunity to see the same type of information presented in different ways - either different words that might better catch their attentions or pictures that enhance the learning experience. However, they can see that what I have to say is not only important because I said so but because many other educators from outside the realm of my school think it's important to know also.

I agree, Julie, and it is fascinating how the immediacy of the technology can enrich the learning process. Realizing that instructors are only one resource and other resources can be accessed, evaluated and compared can be challenging for instructors but a valuable experince for students.

The effects of new technology is such that it improves performance and provides the student with opportunities to give feedback and input in a more organized and effective manner. The internet and information is more readily available for students to be creative and implement necessary content that relates to the course curriculum/assignment. The availability of new technology must also have significant effects on a student's understanding and retention.

Yes, Sharon, new technology does have an effect on how students learn and their engagement with that learning which is the main reason for retention. What role do you as an instuctor play in the process (that is keeping students engaged and retained)?

Students have the opportunity to adjust the levels of content, they are assessing through the methodologies of instructional being used. They also have control over the speed and accuracy of the information as it is transmitted to them and have the opportunity to review any particular areas, which may pose consternation to them

One of the main areas that students have or may not have had the opportunity to address in the earlier years of education is the process of the using Web I would call good research procedures. They are accustomed to looking at the mass media, search engine's and taking them, and utilizing them as a good source plan reality it is just someone's plain opinion, which is not justified by supported by any research. Students need to be directed to specific areas and specific websites where information can be gleaned, which has a recognized research component.

The learning process is perhaps one of the most interesting areas only deal with distance education in that each student can apply their particular learning processes to these situations. Where one time we work faced with just identifying students as having auditory or visual skills. Only we can now present to them. Both skills, and skill sets at the same time. It is then up to the student to choose which one of the two or three methodologies being used to satisfy their needs. Additionally, there is a tremendous amount of written communication, which must be applied and assessed for each particular fourm or independent project.

Technology is not affected by the way, we present the material and it adds a unique challenge to us in that we must research for them. Most recent information and not rely on previously recorded documents to support our statements. Albeit they may be the foundation thereof. Technology has advanced so rapidly and continues to do so that we may actually be behind in our presentation skills. No longer are we face was just using PowerPoint presentations, but we must be accustomed to using different modules to phase in our phase out during instructional session

The student learning process has developed more so than evil old in that students are giving a greater opportunity to use different modes and methodologies of grasping material as well as if they desire additional information. They are encouraged to research it on their own. Traditionally, the only information that they had was either in their textbook or the information that the instructor provided; whereas now the information is encouraged to be developed from research.

In the instructor has to develop well in advance. The methodologies which are going to be used to illustrate the concepts and the traditional whiteboard or PowerPoint presentation is often times not enough. Class polls and forums are a unique method in which to involve the students within a particular topic. Students should be also encouraged and praised when they make a significant contribution

Yes, William. With new technology, along with great guidance from instructors, leaves most students without excuse these days!

when dealing with the technology when dealing with the effects of nanotechnology. It's very important to remember the adult student. More and more adult students are naturally more familiar with technology than just a few years ago; yet an instructor needs to be reminded that they come to us with some fears regarding some of the software programs that are used very easily by the younger students in the class. A prime example of this. Believe it or not, is the PowerPoint and the Excel programs. A good instructor will take the time to isolate before making assignments. What percentage of the class has an expertise in these areas. You would be surprised how many students in general do not have the expertise in these areas and it is well worth the time to deviate from they subject material to explain how to use these powerful software programs.

I think new technology broadens the sources of content, makes it available faster, and then when the inevitable overload arrives, creates the need for for new technology to organize it!

Sign In to comment