Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

So, Jon, do you think that this kind of responsibility is good or bad for the students?

Hello,

I teach a Blended course and to me the interactive Modules are really great online learning tools for online and blended learning students. These Modules take place of homework assgnment and they are also automatically graded. The best part about it is they provide inteactive exercise before the mastery tests where student can validate their learning and get clear understanding on the topic discussed. Anwar

The blended design does create oportunities to make the learning more dynamic than passive, Anwar, great points! What are some ways you build on the dynamics created with your students?

I think that many teachers want to control the learning process. Many teachers have a specific desired outcome verses allowing for individualization of learning.

Yes, Tearee, so do you think existing teachers can develop into currently-relevant teachers and if so, what specifically would you say are the changes that need to be made?

"Flashier content" if that is what we are to call it, is one area that I feel has a huge impact on all these criteria. It can draw students into active participation that may have fallen by the wayside previously simply due to boredom! If we can maintain their focus and attention by animating things that we would conventionally just convey with drawings or descriptions then they will feel more informed and be more likely to participate. After all, would any of us feel compelled to participate in an interactive excersise or discussion with our peers if we felt we had little or no knowledge of the topic or subject matter? More seasoned (ok, older) generations have relied upon their ability to imagine things described to them. The younger generation has had everything anyone can imagine put on a screen in front of them all their lives. If we are to keep them interested, we can't expect them put this technology aside in their learning process.

Robert, your comments are well noted. I would suggest that it is the interaction that can actually elevate the possibilities of learning that could have also helped many of us who are older...back "in the day" :)

This is sort of a tricky question, because students have access to the internet and all the mass media for learning and social networking. The students all have laptops and have mobile phones to connected to there friends and instructors.

I'm not sure what you mean here specifically, Scott. Can you perhaps provide some examples of how student access to the technology is "tricky"?

Everywhere we look, the vast array of input that is available effects almost every part of our existence. Our students are faced with so many choices of comunication, that as instructors,m our task is to direct them to points of input that is relevant to subject matter.

Yes indeed, Robert. In addition to directing the students to good sources, it is vital that instructors help students work with the information they gather and know how to use it in real working contexts. Therefore, the instructors are needed more than ever but for specific support and guidance rather than general information presentation only. Can you think of examples where you have worked with students in this way?

It makes it more acccesible and convenient creating anytime any place to submit course work or engage in course discussion.

How much do you maximize this flexibility and convenience with your students? Do you incorporate online discussion and real time chat in your classes, Larry? What successes have you experienced with these tools?

To my knowledge my campus does not have the platform to use real time chat sessions. What are some of the platforms that can be used?
Some of the classes I teach require the student to learn hands-on skills. For example, phlebotomy. The way I incoprorate the "new tech" into this class is by requiring the student to practice the skill in the learning simulator. In the simulator they may practice as many times as they wish. And the simulator provides them immediate performance step-by-step feedback and displays a % rating each time they engage. After a couple of weeks practice I allow them real time practice with me in a lab setting before testing them. My hopes are that the student will experience an accelerated learning of procedural steps (algorithm) for the skill to be learned. In class I provide lecture and discussion that fills in background information and links the information to real life (the why's it is done).

Great overview, Larry. There are various software available for real time chat such as Adobe Connect or Illuminate, although most delivery platforms now also have the chat tool. It would be interesting to see how this real time connection might help your students process some of the information you provide in your lectures.

Yea I agree also, giving students more of an opportunity to see other means of learning styles we still have to try other ways of getting to these students minds

Students are surrounded by information sources. From the old standard television to the mass information sources of the internet. They are conditioned to receiving these multiple input sources virtualy continously.

This means that an effective instrutor must be aware of all these medium sources to better facilitate the students learning environment. They are more social than previous generations and therefore to keep their interest they must be involved in the learning process.

Do you think students today are really more social or just more connected than previous generations, Jamie?

As an Instructor, I have to agree with Marvin here. The student that is handy with the internet can leave your classroom and if so driven, can research any number of sites to expand on what was taught in the classroom. With that comes better understanding because they may see multiple ways of doing something and be able to put the pieces together.

I can agree with this, but there is no way to redirect a lesson to either peak the intrest of the student or to answer any questions on the subject directly.

Sign In to comment