Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I think that the style of both teaching and learning has changed with the use of new technologies, the student has moved from a passive role to an active role, through the use of electronic devices, web pages, videos, etc. of Similarly teachers have changed their teaching techniques, including the use of these technologies such as smart board, the tablet, wireless, video, etc.

In this age of continuous connection students use a variety of input methods including computer, cell phone, email, twitter, etc. Taking advantage of these multiple sources helps further engage the student and create an interactive learning process.

Nicholas,
Very true. Also, this capability for varied input means that allowing varied output can also raise the level of engagement and success for students.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

today people are more at ease with technology so when they get a chance to use it, they are moore likely to participate.

Ty,

Yes, and they mostly expect and anticipate the functions and features of new technology in every course: direct communication; collaboration; customization and production.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

The technology today gives us the advantage of having consistent communication within different time frames. Having the feeling that somebody really cares and is willing to help you through this. Having a more personal relationship with the instructor.
It also brings a broader leaning environment , having a more efficient way of understanding how our students are progressing during the way, bringing them back toward the direction we wish them to go.

Elin,
I agree. The realization that students have direct access to the teacher raises the engagement possibilities with teacher and student. Also, the flexibility is important, as you say, and the capability for customization in design and pace.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Dr. Reynard,

I must say that I have been very fortunate, since I experienced a very smooth transition into Education from an advanced background in Information Technology.

I have used a variety of online learning platforms and tools such as Blackboard, Collaborate, discussion forums, PowerPoint, blogs, and Chats. For the most part, my students have responded positively through student engagement, active participation, information sharing, and critical thinking.

Furthermore, formal assessments’ results indicate that students are actively learning. Moreover, many have improved as they become more familiar with new computer technologies.

-Khal

Khal,
All good points! So, you have experienced that students are more engaged and also learn additional and transferrable skills while using new technology. This is all consistent with most instructors' experience. I would suggest, however, that those additional skills are maximized and but upon by adding value to them through the grading and feedback process. Most employers agree that those skills are what they look for even more than exact content knowledge.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Hello!

Prior to online learning we had to act as the "sage on the stage" as opposed to the "guide on the side". Online students are now required more than ever to use technology to find answers on their own. However, if we integrate Live Chat where students can attend live with us, or review on their own time which we record and post, this helps to guide students and perhaps answer questions they still have. I feel technology can supplement what an instructor does naturally, extending their reach and broadening their student's understanding beyond the classroom. I also like to encourage them to sign up on LinkedIn for example. They can network with others in the industry markets they are pursuing which is a terrific motivator for many.

Coleen,
Yes, instructors work side by side with technology as mediators of learning. We are still very much needed but not to function as before but now to guide and intervene as needed through the learning process of our students.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Wider access to information, though not always the right information, generally.

Travis,
I agree - also, continual connection, mobililty and direct access all alter the learning process for students.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Students need to be aware of technology and how to use it.

Teachers are saying that it is more important to learn how to type than to learn how to write in cursive. One of the most difficult obstacles to overcome is pulling information from a source that can indeed be considered valid. Spelling test in elementary schools are no longer deemed necessary due to spell check and people communicate reguarlly in text jargon. How do we overcome this with impeding on the rights of free speach?

Lisa,
Also how to learn as a result of its use.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Richard,
Interestingly, while teachers are always focused on the loss of skill in reading and writing, these skills keep changing. We must focus on what is required for success nevertheless.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

New technology generally helps students gain access to course materials when they previous could not. This is a big plus for online learners as they typically have jobs and families. Any tool them allows they to leverage any incremental free time can be a big asset to them.

The negative effect that I have seen is that cellphone access to the discussion board has generally diminished the quality of posts. Despite much coaching otherwise, student still approach the board as a texting forum, rather than as a place to practice professional writing skills. I think that this is a habit that is directly coming from the mobile medium. There must be a way to fix the problem, although every term I have students who struggle with it!

Best,
Brian Stout

Brian,
Great points! Yes, the access to information makes a huge difference for busy students. I believe that texting is here to stay and so we have to think of other ways to have students submit well written contributions that cannot be completed on the cell phone :) I do believe also, however, that voice submissions might soon take the place of text altogether - now that is a challenge for the development of writing ability!

Dr. Ruth Reynard

I think that the quantity of content has changed dramatically since I was an undergraduate. There are more YouTube documentaries out there than I can even imagine. If I can formulate a question, there are probably thousands of entries on the internet answering my question.

I just recently learned about crowd sourcing, and how it is used to solve biological problems, such as protein folding. I think that solving problems via crowd sourcing where tens of thousands of individuals are working on problems all at the same time, and sharing their results, is a benefit of technology.

We see it all of the time under a variety of circumstances and situations.

Donald L. Buresh

Sign In to comment