Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

John,

I know this is straying from the original subject but your observation hit me like a ton of bricks. I had not thought about it until now, but many years ago one could find free help or assistance on the web. Now you have to go thirty pages deep on a web search to find a non-commercial site. Also the big guys that are willing to give you something want to load your computer with cookies, pop-ups, etc….

Students looking for material on the web are being bombarded with time wasting, irrelevant, sites. So as technology advances in the open forums, the marketers find new ways to capitalize on those advances.

In retrospect Donald, I didn't consider the fact that most of the top hits are commercially driven - good point!

John

Hi Donald...check out Web3 in this regard. An attempt to create more meaningful and efficient (also productive) access to web content. It's still emerging but it will be interesting to see where it goes...

John, there is a way around it...in your Boolean search string, add site:edu which is a command to the search engine to only return .edu domains, and/or site:org to return only .org domains. That way, you eliminate all of those irritating .com domains which reduces your hits significantly.

In response to that question I think about the internet. Although, it isn’t a new technology I think about new technology in terms of new methods in classroom instruction and delivery. The Internet, though a great source of valuable information, also has unreliable information which students often simply repeat in their work. I think specifically of Wikipedia.org which students insist on using. That greatly affects the content that students put into their work because of its reliability. As an instructor though new technologies greatly affect the content inputted for students through the use of varied formats.

Good points, Dianne. I agree about negative and positive influences of Internet use in student learning. I would, however, suggest that the concept of Wikipedia is very much the essence of new technology use - multiple sources and general publication/collaborative spaces. I think we as instructors while emphasizing the difference between reliable and unreliable information to students should also maximize the concepts behind some of these technology uses. Creating collaborative online working spaces for students is a wonderful way to enhance learning.

Technology for the 21st century student opens up numerous areas to obtain information and conduct research. Even the local library no longer just provides books for sources of information. Theres more of an integration of the old with the new. Instruction has become more student focus with interactive CDs/DVDs etc.

Yes it has, Angela, although students still require guidance and skill development, as you suggest, to accomplish the wonderful things that are now feasible using new technology. Instructors are also well challenged to learn the skills they need to facilitate the learning of the students in technology-rich learning environments.

Right you are Ruth; if instructors do not 'stay with it' they will be hard pressed to reach out to and engage today's learners.
As to further technology-rich learning environments; we have changed many of our discussion board formats at AIU to Wiki to allow for a more enhanced collaborative and threaded environment.

Samia

I love it! My experience with Wikis, Samia, is that they work well to engage students and to encourage students to form their own "voice" within a course or subject area. The challenge is for instructors to stay with the process and keep moving students forward in their learning rather than simply present a Wiki and leave the students up to it. It takes full engagement from the instructor as well.

Ruth, I think the key word in your question was certainly "content" and this takes me back to my grammar school days, when the teacher would ask you to bring in a current event article, related to the topic at hand.

I think we are asking our students to do the same thing, just using a different medium (a newer technology).

Thank you.
Mike Crowley

I agree, Michael, that many older ideas and methods are still relevant. However, with newer technology, the results can be so much more powerful and relevant for students - both in content learning and technology skill development.

I've be around for a long time. I've seen alot of changes over the years. Some in good ways some in bad. I've seen radio develope into television Atara into lap tops 1 computer on the first space shot to more than 23 computers in the family car. One of my teachers said you'll never learn from a TV well just look at us now.I'm so glad for intervated learning. The easier we make it for the students to get information. I believe the more they are going to learn. We need to be more proactive to their learnings. More supportive of their way of thinking let down our barriers and join the future generation.

I believe that students of this generation are more prevalent to use new technology, but the older methods are still important.

The availability of information in flexible formats have given students an ability to access and acquire information in non-linear ways. The availability of information served by technology in a flexible and nonsequential manner has opened the possibility for instructors to engage a student's curiosity and offer students more control of the learning activity.

Great points, LE. There have been and continue to be changes in both the flow of information and the reception and processing of that information from linear to multilayered. This, in turn, changes how ideas are processed and ultimately how new knowledge can be produced.

Very true, William, in that if an older method works as well as or better than a newer method using new technology. It can be assumed that older methods work better, but as instructors, we must continually explore better ways as we go.

The new technology allows the student to get input from a variety of sources. The internet, the video-phone, electronic lectures, communication and collaboration with peers, simulations, and more. All are available from their desk, their backyard, their cars, and their classrooms. It is no longer a dictated, one source of input.

...indeed, or to one form of input. Therefore, teachers are challenged to include various forms of "output" as well as students demonstrate their learning. That is, the form is not the focus but the skill or knowledge demonstration. This does not sit well with those who might see themselves as "purists" and, I would suggest we haven't really worked out how to evaluate a lot of these demonstrations of learning effectively. Have you included some evaluative changes based on student demonstrations of learning?

Yes, I have really change my approach to testing and evaluating students, a cause of arguments that occur in my departments office frequently. I do not believe a test question will show a specific understanding, I want to know that my students will be able to think through a problem. I try to more and more base test questions on problem solving, I like essay type questions where I want to see a thought pattern or a problem solving approach, I tend to use less questions that are just right or wrong. I like giving tests in the shop, I like basing grades on real-life scenarios. I know that I can teach anyone to pass a 100 question multiple choice test, but the challenge is to get them to think.

So, in answer to your questions, yes I have changed evaluations on student demonstrations of learning.

-Chris

Sign In to comment