Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Online discussion methods...

In this module we addressed the selection of appropriate learning activities in an online course. Assume you are an instructor at a career college that offers associate degrees in web design. You have been asked to convert your Advanced Web Design course to an online format and you have discovered that the course management system you are using supports both synchronous and asynchronous discussion methods. You have always encouraged learners to collaborate with and support each other in your onsite classroom and you want to bring this sense of community to your online course also. Discuss the pros and cons of each discussion method and tell whether you would use one, both, or neither of these methods in your course. Support your answer.

I would take advantage of both synchronous and asyncronous chats for my class. The synchronous chats help the students to hear other perspectives from the balance of the students in the class, and also to discuss the pro and cons of those theories. I have found some of the best learning I have gotten has been from my students. The down side to this method is that all to often only a few people will communicate this way, some students dont' feel their typing skills are good enough to participate.

I like the idea of the students being able to post their work with the aid of the asyncronous chat so they can evalute each others work and give critics. Not only does this teach new concepts, but allows the students to interact more freely with each other , just like they were in a regular classroom. Making sure deadlines are meet could be downside to this method of learning. If everyone didn't get the work in by a deadline.

Barbara,

You bring up some good points about both synchronous and asynchronous communication methods. Chat rooms certainly can be difficult places for those students who have poor typing skills. In addition, multiple conversations can be difficult to follow. Also, time zone differences may make it so some students are unable to participate in live chat sessions.

Asynchronous methods, such as forum discussions, are terrific for allowing transformative learning to happen. Unlike live classrooms or chat sessions, forum discussions allow students to read and reread postings, research the topic, and offer an informed response.

As you said, making use of both types of communication is probably the best way to meet the needs of all students. :)

I would use both types of discussion. As with all considerations of delivery and testing... you want to give students every opportunity to learn and to demonstrate that understanding. So the more ways I can give them the more sucess we will share. Some students are energized by spontaneous interaction and others prefer to logically and methodically work on their responses.

Kelli,

You make an excellent point that students have different learning preferences. In light of that, would you give them the choice between participating in a forum discussion or a chat room discussion or would you prefer that they engage in both methods? Also, which method (synchronous or asynchronous) do you think is more effective in creating "community" in the online classroom? :)

Jane

I will use both Synchronous and Asynchronous discussion methods when I convert the Advanced Web Design Course to online format. There are Introverts and Extroverts and there are those who are equally good in both methods. The Introverts will perform best in asynchronous discussions while the Extroverts will be at their best in synchronous discussions. I will make both types of students experience both methods. No matter how bad you dislike a method, you can still pick up something positive from that method.

Isaac

You bring up an interesting point about introverts and extroverts and their preferences for asynchronous and synchronous discussion methods. I am wondering if these preferences have as much to do with personality types as they do with learning styles. The literature dealing with the benefits of online learning is full of references to the "shy" student who sheds that shyness in the online environment. Do you think the introverts will still prefer asynchronous discussions if the class is completely online rather than hybrid? Will they open up if they don't feel that others are watching them? Thanks for sharing your insights. :) Jane

I would use both chat methods. When immediate feedback is wanted, or is necessary, the synchronous method is appropriate. If providing students with time to evaluate tools or applications, for instance, and provide their feedback and opinions on each, the asynchronous chat would be very appropriate.

Cons: In synchronous chats, particpants tend to write more reactive and emotional responses as there isn't as much time to give careful consideration to what or how something is being presented. Sometimes it is helpful to create "rules before posting" to help contain this.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you suggested posting rules for engaging in synchronous chat. Many students are used to talking to their friends in chat rooms and have developed some bad habits that could translate to the online classroom. Do you agree that deeper learning can happen when asynchronous methods of discussion are used? Why or why not?

Thanks,
Jane

Deeper learning...probably because more thought is put into a response. Synchronous sessions tend to be "quick and dirty" responses, and as I mentioned before, reactions rather than thoughtful answers.

Again, my experience with on-line courses convinced me that an asynchronous method of discussion is best. I believe much is lost in this way – “real time chat” is much more effective in getting everyone energized and involved with each other. But, the beauty of asynchronous discussion is that I can reply at 3 A.M. or write up my replies from the cabin of an airliner going across the country – then send the answer when I can get connected to the Internet. It accommodates more students.

You bring up a couple of good points about the energy level that can be achieved with real-time chat and the convenience of asynchronous discussion. The question that keeps running through my mind, however, is "which method is best for learning?" Chat is energetic but what about the slow typist or the slow reader? Discussion forums are convenient but does the lack of timely feedback hinder the learning process? As always, I am interested in your thoughts. It seems that you have a great deal of experience with both types of discussion. :)

Jane

I would use the asynchronous for grading purposes and the synchronous for those who can and want to "chat". If it was possible to send a copy of the synchronous to everyone to view at their leisure, I would do that. That way, the no-participators (for one reason or the other: time zones,emergencies,etc.) could then give their input. The ones who participated could enjoy reviewing, build more upon the discussion, etc.

I've learned so much from the forums here (asynchronous). To have a copy of a synchronous meeting (created by those who COULD participate at that time) would then make it asynchronous for all to have a chance to buld on and/or comment on.

Hi Karen,

Do you think that asynchronous communication lends itself to deeper learning? Or,is the dynamic of a chat room better for learning? I am interested in your thoughts.

:)

Jane

I think synchronous is for idea brainstorming when perfection is far from necessary. I think that the synchronous lends to more spontaneous thinking that may or may not ultimately be used, and because it's synchronous, that's acceptable.

Asynchronous communication is more something I read, re-read, fix, refine. It all has it's place. Kinda like the pioneer hacks his/her way thru unchartered territory and worries about the roads,buildings, and infrastructure later.

Hi Kelli
I read your reply and it was my opinion too. Students are different. some students would love to participate spontaneously and some others, I would say, hate it . I have had students who dropped the course because I asked them question While I was teaching a new subject.

Shohreh

I feel that both methods of discussion are helpful. They both allow the students to share information with each other and the instructor. But, the asynchronous allows students who are unable to meet at the specific times a way to catch up on any information they have missed.

I agree with you that asynchronous discussion is more convenient. The time factor certainly is one of the benefits of online education.

In addition, I think that being able to read the comments of your peers rather than hear them, allows you to really grasp what is being said. You can also formulate your own thoughts before putting them into writing.

For these reasons, asynchronous discussion is my personal favorite. Thanks for your input.

Jane

At my school we use both synchronous and asynchronous. Each has a different goal and outcome. The asynchronous is a way for the instuctor to evaluate whether the students are reading the assigned material, and also post assignments in groups. It gives those who are not so adept to kind of mimick others work until they begin to understand the concepts. The synchronous or chat tends to become more of a lecture and can get off topic with personal questions. However, it is a great way to check their understanding. The one's who do not participate can be called upon!!!

Hi Caroline,

You bring up a good point, something I have never thought of, about asynchronous posting being used to allow "those who are not so adept to kind of mimick others work until they begin to understand the concepts."

In my own online learning experiences, if I wasn't quite sure what type of response the instructor wanted, I would check out what my classmates had to say before formulating my own discussion response.

At your school, do students have the choice of attending synchronous or asynchronous classes or do all classes used a combined approach?

Thanks for your input :)
Jane

Sign In to comment