Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Anne,

You are correct, both synchronous and asynchronous discussion methods can be beneficial to all students. Aside from the benefit to "shy" students, can you think of other benefits to asynchronous methods?

Some educators feel that asynchronous methods lead to deeper learning. Do you agree?

:)
Jane

I would require asynchronous chats and encouraging synchronous chats. The very nature of programming and web design would be better suited by students providing links, including pictures, or typing out code. That much info needs more preparation time on behalf of the student posting a question/answer as well as the facilitator. For this reason I would make a certain degree of asynchronous chat mandatory for completion of the course.

On the other hand, technically oriented synchronous chats may be too imposing for slower typists or those less savvy with working with multiple windows, cutting and pasting or including hyperlinks in their postings. Of course, this type of real-time interaction is valuable, so I would suggest that students take the opportunity to use them and provide interesting topics for the class, knowing that most students won't be very involved at the onset.

Anthony...

Another benefit of your asynchronous chats is that it would give your slower typists a chance to hone their skills.

One thing I always find helpful is that I post instructions for tasks the students may find tricky. For example, if my lesson requires that students use multiple windows, I will either post the instructions or take a few minutes at the beginning of the exercise to review the required techniques.

Good post :)

Jane

I would support both methods or at least give both a try. However taking into account the differnce in typing skills, work schedules, different time zones etc., the asynchronous chats would work the best for an online web-design course. The college I am teaching for has both but the synchronous is underutilized for the above reasons, and all of the surveys we have taken support that fact. The students clearly support the asynchronous chats.
Jan ODonnell

Both synchronous and asynchronous communication methods should be implemented into the online course.

Discussion Area (asynchronous) can be used to post some multimedia formats and Chats (synchronous) for sharing ideas
with each other.

I would use both. One easy example that would coordinate both, would be working on a group project. Asynchronous communication could be used to discuss topics at whatever times were most convenient for each member of the group. Asynchronous communication could also be used to arrange a time for all the group members to meet at the same time to engage in synchronous communication in a chatroom.

In my traditional classroom setting, some students can't do a skill like opening multiple windows on the same screen until they've seen it done multiple times, and invariably, some students aren't able to do it till I walk over to their workstation and give them individual instruction in the 3-dimensional world. Online learning is not a suitable delivery method for all students.

I agree with many of you that the less forceful, the unskilled, passive student will get lost in the synchronous discussion method. Usually one or two people tend to dominate even with monitoring by an instructor. Using this method for instruction, presentations, etc. seems like a good way to utilize everyone together at the same time. In today's world a lot of conferencing is done this way, so all students need to have exposure to synchronous discussion. My concern would be for those of us who need time to read, analyze, reread discussions, and formulate our replies. The forum type of discussion is better for this type of learning. I would use both methods. Just like the onsite classroom one method works for some students and another method works for others. Our classes are usually a combination. Today our business world utilizes both types of discussion thus we need to know how to do both.

Both types of interactions are usful in the distance education environment. Each one allows students to communication in the way they feel most comfortable.

I agree, a good instructor can make use of both asynchronous and synchronous chat, but large numbers of students all having input at the same time becomes difficult and much is lost from the disscussion. Sychronous chat is better left for having two or three students at the same time. Asynchronous is for larger numbers of people.

I would use both types of discussion methods, synchronous and asynchronous. the time and flexibility of the asynchronous discussion I agree allows for deeper comprehension, reflection and response. The idea of being able to access what had been stated during a synchronous discussion is certainly something to consider as well.

George:
Your recommendation is well taken. Managing Chat sessions with a large number of students is difficult especially as it pertains to monitoring eaqch student's response and providing constructive feedback during the session.

Asynchronous discussions allow more time for students to reflect on students' as well as the instructor's responses before they make contributions to the Discussion forum.
Satrohan

Pamela:
You have definitely grasped the advantages ofAsynchronous Discussion forums.

In regards to accessing the transcripts for Synchronous discussions, there are some Learnimg Management Systems that archive the content of these sessions so that one can retieve and review them.
Satrohan

Having taken an online course, I find asynchronous discussions to be a very good learning activity. I was not only required to submit my opinion on a topic or article but I was also required to respond to fellow classmates postings.

Nori

I agree with your input on this matter. Asynchronous discussions allow for well thought out interactive communications. Time can be of the essence in really thinking through a good response which allows for more effective use of time.

Nori:
Your response points to an earlier recommendation I made on the same subject----the practice of peer evaluation. One of the greatest benefits of Asynchronous Discussion is that it allows the student adequate time to assimilate the content of the discussion thread, and compose an intelligent response.
Satrohan

Cheryl:
You have expressed this well. It coincides with one of my responses I made earlier on the same Subject.
Satrohan

Without question I would use both methods. When communicating with classmates either in real time or not you are still getting the additional stimulation of variety and pulling from what others have learned. Either way you have the engangement of discussion. However, I do feel it is important as an instructor to allow time for students to communicate in real time as well either just before or after a live lecture.

Debra:
Eaxch mode of communication has its own benefits. As an Instructor, I would use Chat sessions for one-on-one sessions with students. I would encourage students to share information among themselves using the Chat feature of the course delivery platform. I would reserve Asynchronous chats for sharing of information that is directly related to the course objectives, for example, peer evaluation of assignments.
Satrohan

I primarily would be using on-line education to teach CEU's to massage therapists throughout the U.S but especially in Texas. It seems that asynchronous interactions would be most easy to organize.
Glad for the discussion to help me see that clearly.

David Lauterstein

Sign In to comment