Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I also like the transcript idea. However, I'm not sure of the best way to prepare a transcript of a chat. How would you do this?

Hi Sherri,

The method for preparing a transcript of a chat session depends on the course management system you are using. My best advice is for you to use the help function and search for instructions. Some chatting programs don't have this feature.

If I can help you with a specific chat program, please email me.

:)
Jane

Both methods have value. I agree with the many who felt the synchronous chat was more akin to a live classroom experience and it does foster interactions between the students. It is good for brainstorming, throwing out ideas and getting the juices flowing. The asynchronous is for the meat of the class - getting into and justifying responses, working out problems, charing ideas, students critiquing each others work and gaining a deeper understanding of the material covered.

I agree 100% with your assessment of both types of classroom communication. Of course, both of them have their downfalls also.

For example, I had a problem in my synchronous where a student would log on and then leave his computer. It took me awhile to figure out that this was happening. One evening I was "calling on students" who hadn't raised their hands and he did not respond. On a break I had to call him on the phone and invite him back to class :)

Since you are currently an online instructor, do you have any war stories to share?

Jane

I am green, green, green to online teaching. So no war storeis to date. One of the features of the delivery of our programs was that we have the capability of live webcasting and we can see our students - the class size is currently limited to six but the company is working on the ability to expand to higher numbers.
I am enjoying beeing the "student" online.

I use both sychronous and asynchronous discussion for the already discussed reasons in this forum. I prefer synchronous discussions for the same reason I prefer to talk real-time over e-mail. However, asynchronous allows for a more prepared and thoughtful response.

My experience has been that some of my students just cannot think and reply in a fluid conversational fashion, whereas others are quite adept. Along with the issue of the slower typists missing out on contributing to the discussion, sychronous discussions also break into two distinct sub-threads and get interleaved, confusing the slower readers as well.

One irritating aspect of students new to discussion groups is the 'Me too' syndrome. Someone may feel the need to respond to as much as possible and all the add is 'Me Too!' as opposed to contributing to the actual content of the discussion. I discourage this with a 'No Me Too' rule.

Subsequently, I have in the past set up an asynchronous discussion with a time limit of 6 to 12 hours for all responses.

I like your "No Me Too" rule. I have a similar rule but I don't have a catchy name for it. I just require that students give substantive feedback to each other. I set the example by giving substantive feedback to every post. Many instructors don't do that but I feel strongly that it is necessary to make every student feel that sense of community that is so important in online classes. I wouldn't ignore a student who speaks in class so I don't ignore posts either.

One solution to your synchronous chat sessions is that you could break the class up into smaller groups so that the discussions are easier to follow. You could pop in and out of the group discussions to be sure that they are on track.

Thanks for your great ideas!

Jane

I'd definitely use more aynchronous discussions. For web design students to collaborate, they must spend some time working on a project in order to post ideas and layouts in the discussions. In a live chat situation, students would be limited to just talking back and forth as opposed to working together.

You sound like an experienced teacher! I agree with you...chat sessions can get off track very quickly. I like that students can put some thought into what they're going to say before they put it in writing. If only I could get them to proofread what they write before posting. :)

Can you think of an appropriate use of live chat for your web students? Could they benefit from a live session where you demonstrate a technique or show them sample web applications?

Thanks for your input!

Jane

I would use both methods, giving the student the option to choose. Keep in mind participation whether live classrooom or internet basewd course is a must in order to get feed back from students

Lillian,

You are absolutely correct about getting feedback from students. I couldn't agree more!

One of the things I have noticed about the online courses I teach. Online synchronous discussion becomes like no discussion you get in the classroom. It seems that, when students have time to take in the question and research it, the quality of the responses you see is much higher than. The downfall, however, is that the back-and-forth banter of the live classroom is lost a bit; but not always. I have seen some pretty involved threads. :)

Thanks for your comments,

Jane

I feel that using both methods would be the best way to proceed. Although student's may take some time to adjust to anything new- they eventually embrace the opportunity to learn something new in a new way. Again, not all learners are the same- so by utilizing both synchronous and asynchronous methodology you ensure that optimal sources are used. I've found that student's enjoy the challenge of learning something new in a new way and if the enjoy the presentation the first time around- they will be more likely to embrace it in the future.

Hi Debi...

Isn't it funny how students first resist change and eventually embrace it? I suppose that happens with all of us.

Do you think that synchronous learning environments work for everyone? If not, what type of student (or what type of course) would not work well with this methodology?

I am interested in your thoughts :)

Jane

In web design it is important that the students work together. They need to exchange ideas, share their work, and feed from the artistic energy web designers share.

With this in mind, I would use both forms of discussion methods.

I would use synchronous chats to break the class into small groups. I would assign them each a website and have them discuss the project from start to finish in a synchronous method. By employing small groups you are increasing the chances of staying on topic, decreasing the chances of having people not particpate (lurk), not be able to keep up, and since this is advanced web design technology issues should be minimal.

I would use asynchronous chats to involve the entire class in topics of current web design topics such as a change in SEO, or to review each others projects (since I have broken them up in teams already)

With a technology rich class (as an advanced web design class should be) it is important to use both discussion methods to ensure students learn the approriate information.

Dear Jane,

I agree about the discussions not being the same. Since noone knows who is chatting it really gives students to open up and state their true opinions. I have had some topics discussed that would probably not come up in a real classroom.

Suzanne,

It seems that your online web course would be quite dynamic. Your use of both synchronous and asynchronous activities would make the class both interesting and productive.

Since your students many be geographically dispersed, how would you handle time differences for synchronous assignments?

I am curious about your expectation that the course should be "technology rich." In my experience, many students do not have home computers or broadband Internet connections. Would these be requirements for your course?

Jane

Good point! The time that students have to think before responding to questions in an online discussion is valuable. I always suggest that my students read the discussion questions before reading the material in the textbook. Furthermore, I suggest that they wait one more day before posting their responses to the discussion questions. What they come up with can be quite insightful :)

Jane

Since this is an advanced web design course I would expect the students to have technology to support the class. My expereince is most people who don't have advanced technology don't want to do advanced web design. I guess... my class wouldn't have a prerequisite of such advanced topics, but most students will have it... either at home or the library.

Since my class would have small groups using synchronous assignments I would group them accordingly and give a choice of time preferences. When you take a class you have to make consessions (ilt or online).

I recently took a class myself that used both and it was quite successful. As a student you have to show up for class. Students will work it out if they want to learn.

I believe that both methods can be effective, however, both also have difficulties. One of the main reasons that students take online courses is to fit their tight schedule. Requiring synchronous chats can cause a problem with timing for these students, not to mention differences in time zones. It does, however, provide an excellent method that is equal to live classroom discussion. It allows for immediate feedback and response and to discuss a topic in greater detail in less time. Asynchronous chats do provide students with the ability to discuss topic(s) on their own time to avoid conflicts, however, the topic is discussed at a much slower rate. Also, a person can lose their train of thought as it takes time for a response. I would use both methods, however, not equally. I would use asynchronous more in a class that I taught, because I feel it provides more opportunity for more students.

James,

Your point that asynchronous discussion provides more opportunity for more students is a good one. It is nice when students can enjoy the flexibility of completing their assignments in the middle of the night if that is what works for them.

Some online teachers contend that deeper learning can happen when asynchronous discussion methods are used. What do you think?

Jane

Sign In to comment