Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

David:
Not only are Asynchronous discussions easier to manage, they provide learners with ample time to evaluate the contents of the Discussion forum and make more intelligent contributions.
Satrohan

Online instruction is realtively new to me. I have taught in a live classroom and have successfully used both methods. The asynchronous method in online instruction I think would be more beneficial. Here students would be able to follow discussions online as their time zone permits and take time to respond logically. I think that the synchronous method, if not followed carefully in an online setting could stray away from the topic at hand. But since I have used both before I am very interested in trying both on an online ascept.

Hi Mary -

I must agree with you. I think that by keeping things simple for students it allows for use of different methods that can be easily followed.

Melissa:
Each method has its own merits. You have addressed th ebenefits of Aysnchronous Descussions and pointed out the disadvantage of Synchronous Discussions. As an Instructor, I will engage students in Synchronous Discussions on condition that I am capable of managing the progression of the Discussion thread, and that I am not imparting critical course content.
Satrohan

Thank you for your feedback. This is something that I need to work on.

Our school is looking into both sync and async learning. We see a tremendous upside for asynch learning because it will allow our working students to participate as they can. But sycn learning has the advantage being live. It would seem that asynch would require far more upfront work and further follow through. We currently support our didactic training with skills lab. I think on site skills lab will be a great reinforcement tool for both synch and asynch training.

Greg:
I support the positions you have taken on asynchronous sessions as well as synchronous sessions. Yes, synchronous will require more upfront preparation from Instructors and significant more efforts in following through with the results of the synchronous session. Synchronous sessions also require planning and scheduling sessions; however, the greatest challenge to make them worthwhile lies in managing the sessions.
Satrohan

Both methods are great. With synchronous, you can give immediate answers to problems, but you probably can't go into an in-depth discussion.

With asynchronous, you can give a more thoughtful answer, but it will take a bit of time between when the student posts his question until you do answer.

If I could only have one method, I would choose synchronous. I prefer to put out the small fires before they turn into forest fires.

Nilda:
Synchronous may be useful to put out the small fires; however, there is much to be said about asynchronous as a method of sharing information--your thoughtful feedback, for example. There is nothing wrong about your answer not being immediate. Most institutions require a twenty-four hour turnaround time.
Satrohan

I have experience with asynchronous discussions, but I have not done much with synchronous. I have not personally been on a chat room, and since it takes me longer to forumlate my questions and answers I don't think I would like it. I have taken courses that were in real-time where the instructor was speaking and I could watch what was going on with his or her computer screen. I could type a question and someone would answer it in writing, or the instructor would answer the question verbally. This was the best, but it is too expensive to add to our program. We are just doing asynchronous for now.

Sheri:
Asynchronous has its benefits; and very good ones at that. You have highlighted an important factor to consider when adopting new learning technologies-----cost. To cost, I would also like to add affordability to students, and students' ability to use these technologies effectively.
Satrohan

There are many pros and cons to this system. Many students who are or have become comfortable with one another tend to be more open and honest in their discussions. It also allows them the opportunity to give more feedback to one another.

The cons include students who are not "social butterflies". They sit in the background even in a discussion board and filter in only a small amount to the discussion.

I enjoy using both. As the discussions grow, you may spike an interest in a student that may not participate as much and they then become excited about the subject and tend to join the conversation more. Once they have moved into a more comfortable zone, their participation grows.

In my opinion, both synchronous and asyncronous discussions can be supported in online learning environment. In my case, I usually arrange both synchronous discussions for those topics which needs details understanding through exercise and problem solving. But in asyncronous discussions I provide those topics that are general in nature and don't need any detail analysis.

Synchronous are difficult to arrange because of conflict of schedules but very helpful for problem solving discussions. Students can get off-track very easily in Asyncronous discussions, but it is helpful in general discussions and learning from each other or in shared learning environment.

Interesting - thanks for sharing! - Jon

Cathy,

Interesting, I agree that for those that may not be normally talkative, the online environment may be easier.

Jon

We use asynchronous discussion method in our classroom and students seem to enjoy it and appear engaged with the questions we post and with one another.

I do like the concept of synchronous chat as well. We do some required webinars for our class where students can use a chat feature and verbally discuss and students seem to respond well to that.

The down sides to asynchronous is that the responses can seem overwhelming and it may not feel as lively as it does in real time, students also do not get an immediate response to what they are saying and if they make their point later in the week, we may move on to the next week before they get a lot of class feedback.

The down sides to synchronous is that it could also be overwhelming and some students may not feel that their "voice" is being heard with everyone in at once. It is also challenging with our population to find a time when everyone can login and participate. Part of the appeal of an online program is that the students can work on their schedule, so the logistics may be a little challenging.

I read a few comments about synchronous and asynchronous chat sessions for online courses and have not yet experimented with the process.

My question is how do you deal with students who are unable to properly represent and articulate answers to questions/script(type) exactly what they mean ?
In class, some of this can be discerned by facial expression and,or by body language and be addressed on the spot.

Maureen,
Good question Maureen. This is where the instructor comes in. Once a student presents in a discussion, it is important for an instructor to give the student feedback on what they did well and what needs work.

Shelly Crider

There are many pros synchronous and asynchronous discussion methods and learning. Better assess to collaboration is clearly a major advantage.

Sign In to comment