Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

While I tend to agree, I also feel that because of the time delay of these discussions, sometimes the interest and thought that was there originally can be lost. The relevence of a topic can be forgotten or lost, especially when there is a delay in answering. It is probably the better method for time constrants, but does lose in sponteneity. However, it does give individuals more time to "think" about their answers and present them in a logical order. So, I do think that the content can go deeper.

I would take advantage of both synchronous and asyncronous chats for my online class. The synchronous chats can help the students to hear and learn from other perspectives from the students in the class. The negative aspect to this method is that often only a few people will communicate in this manner while others may feel like they do not wish to contribute due to poor typing and communication skills.

The asyncronous method will be necessary during the course to allow students to view postings and discussions and will provide them with the opportunity to spend time on the assignment/discussion and then post their material by a predefined time/date.

The combination of both methods of communication would allow for the creation of a great distance learning course.

You make some excellent points about both methods of communication. I really agree with your perspective.

Both methods can support community building. Synchronous discussions provide a spontaneous forum for interaction and idea exchange. In addition, the instructor can use the synchronous discussion to make demonstrations and presentations and receive immediate feedback on student comprehension. The challenge is to schedule synchronous discussions at a time when all participants are available.

Through asynchronous discussions, the interactions take place over a longer period of time, but can provide greater insight into student understanding through their contributions. Students also benefit more from reading and responding to the postings of other students. Typically, the use of the asynchronous discussion will not be for the delivery of new content, but rather to assess comprehension of content acquired through some other method such as reading or reviewing an online lecture.

Paul,

I agree... the combination would be the best of both worlds.

Would you allow students to choose the method they prefer or would you require both methods be used?

I am interested in your thoughts :)

Jane

Peter,

Good point! Community building is very important to online learning. You mentioned that time is one challenge to synchronous methodologies. Can you think of other challenges to both synchronous and asynchronous learning?

I am interested in your thoughts :)

Jane

Probably one of the greatest challenges is the lack of visual contact... expression with text alone is like speaking to someone with a blindfold on... you don't get the nuances of their expressions, nor can you see the facial expressions and body language. This is why i would encourage students to post their photos and to arrange for web-cam based or voip/teleconference synchronous chats whenever possible.

Both synchronous and asynchronous discussions are necessary. I would want my students to interact in a synchronous discussion because we all learn from each other. Granted some students feel uncomfortable with their typing skills but again some students feel uncomfortable talking in class. The role of the teacher is to keep track of who is participating and help the slower students.
I like asynchronous discussions because the students have time to research and share their contributions. They have more time to think about what they want to say.

I would encourage the use of both. Though not aware of the social ramifications of synchronous, I believe, from watching my daughters on Myspace, that there is a complimentary value in encouraging, or at a minimum allowing the expanded dialog. Without the breadth and depth of dilaog, learning is constrained.

You bring up some good, and bad, points about synchronous discussions. Time constraints, especially with adult learners, and time zones can also make synchronous chat difficult.

In light of your comments abour asynchronous discussions; do you think that they have the potential to lead to "deeper" learning?

:)
Jane

Hi Jane,

Absolutly, asynchronous discussions have the potential to lead to "deeper" learning. Students can research their answer, check the validity of a point made and have time to formulate their answer. People do not feel pressure to come up with an answer right away. Shy people would probably do very well in asynchronous discussion because they never are on the spot.

Anne-Patricia

Anne-Patricia,

This has been my experience. Those who take the time to research the discussion questions and engage in asynchronous discussions with their classmates generally comment that they learned a great deal in the course.

I teach marketing online, and sometimes the students amaze me with their feedback on discussion topics. I learn from them every day.

Jane

In such a project the synchronous and asynchronous communication would be very helpful. Students can chat and share their ideas and assimilate the message of the other well. This is would be really good for students to open up to other methods of learning such as the on-line discussion.

The hindrance would be the typing skills and the lack of confidence in written communication with regards to punctuations and grammar and spelling.

In an way this would result for the students with a “not so good” written communication skills to develop this.

Nieva

Hi Nieva,

I couldn't agree with you more! Online learning is an excellent opportunity for students to hone their written communication skills. Do you think that online teachers should grade on grammar, punctuation, and spelling as well as content?

Can you see yourself using both synchronous and asynchronous discussions in your online classroom?

Jane

I think on-line teachers should take the time to comment on grammar and spelling.

I do believe that this will take much time of the on-line teacher, but who else is in a better position to say something about grammar, punctuations and spelling.

Correct grammar, punctuations gives credibility to the person- that the person writing, or communicating knows what he or she is talking about. Other might think that- as long as the message is understood it is okay to misspell words, but it does say something about the person- it might either be carelessness, or ignorance.

In on-line course, it is for us to learn, so should we learn proper punctuations too?

Nieva

I do believe it would be good to use both.

The probable problem with this, time difference of the learners snd or availability. It will take much time to get the activity completed.

With regards to the "sense of Community"- the advantage is that learners will have to be aware of their duty to share and take part effectively in accomplishing the activity; but, for those the learners who will tend to be too assertive or aggressive to get their way or idea done will dominate the others.

It would be good for the on-line instructor to monitor how the communication of learners is going on and point out what direction they are going.

Just like in the classroom setting, where domineering students will stifle others, I think this can happen too in on-line courses.

What solution would be have for this situation?

Nieva

I can use this methods.

I do handle classes and I encourage students to e-mail me their projects and homework.

I respond to them when they submit their work on line but they don't respond due to computer problems (too slow), or insecurity with their grammar.

Nieva

Nieva,

Domineering students can certainly be a problem in online classrooms; although I don't believe they stiffle participation as much as they do in the traditional classroom.

My general rule is... praise in public, reprimand in private. If I feel a student is dominating the classroom discussion, I will send that student a private email or, better yet, call them on the telephone. I generally take the approach... "I have a problem...can you help me solve it?"

Too much involvement is much easier to solve than too little. :)

Thanks for your input, Jane

Both synchronous and asynchronous methods of discussion would be used. Synchronous chats are excellent for those who are not on a time schedule and are able to brainstorm with other learners without waiting for replies. However, not all learners have that luxury. Asynchronous discussions are ideal for the not so fortunate. Learners will be able to post their input and questions when they are able to work it into their busy schedule. Having learners in many areas of the globe asynchronous discussions are more desirable. The learner may have to wait for a reply but they will receive one or many. Synchronous chats go without saying; learners will feel very connected to fellow learners and have feedback almost immediately. We will be able to accommodate all who have the desire to learn.

Sylvia,

Your point about the immediacy of synchronous chats is a good one. I have used them a bit in my online classes but have always made them optional; usually as review for a major exam.

Some say that asynchronous discussions allow for "deeper learning" because students spend time formulating their answers to discussion questions before posting them. They also learn from the postings of their classmates. What do you think?

Jane

Sign In to comment