Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

both discussion methods are appropriate and useful in online courses. The Synochronous chats allow students to quickly gain feedback and engage in thoughtful and immediate discussion. the drawback is that sometimes students lack typing skills and this inhibits them in the discussion. Also, some students are naturally reluctant to join in the discussion, and moderators need to be cognizant of this possibility.
The asynchronous method is better suited for the student who might be a bit more introverted, and likes to take their time to review and evaluate their responses. However, because responses to posts are not immediate, and responses to a particular post may never be responded to, timely feedback may sometimes be neglected.

Typing skills are definately one of the problems with synchronous discussion. Another problem is grammar and spelling. For all of these issues, asynchronous may be a better alternative.

I think online learning is getting real close to finally being able to design courses that appeal to various learning styles.

Jane

I concur, I think the more versatile the methods the better for the students. It can be varied in approach but I think keeping things simple with multiple methods is best.

Hi Mary,

Would you allow your students to choose which discussion methods to use, or would you require that they all engage in every discussion?

I am currently teaching a totally synchronous class and I am finding that it has its challenges, as does an asynchronous classroom. Come to mention it, not everyone preferred learning the same way in my on site classes either.

I agree with you, multiple methods are the best way to go.

Thanks for your input!

Jane

I would use both types of discussion methods, synchronous and asynchronous. Spontaneous learning does have something to offer as does the sound of someone's voice. This helps to bridge the gap between personal and impersonal. Likewise the time and flexibility of the asynchronous discussion I agree allows for deeper comprehension, reflection and response. The idea of being able to access what had been stated during a synchronous discussion is certainly something to consider as well.

Palloff and Pratt, two researchers in the area of online learning, say that asynchronous learning has the potential to be "transformative learning." You are saying something along the same lines when you say that it "allows for deeper comprehension, reflection and response."

I agree with all of you!!

Jane

As far as allowing students to choose which discussion methods to use, I think for the most part it could be either. However, it may be that certain stipulations may be required for specific courses; example; it may be more advantageous to have nursing students engage in every discussion or make a minimum requirement of certain on line discussions. I think it may depend on the detail involved, the level of the students and the course being offered.

In synchronous learning you have those students that participate and those that do not. The ones that are participating are generally those that are up to date with their studies and can contribute to the discussion or ask questions. I find those that are lagging in their studies generally step out of class during synchronous learning and fail to participate and let the others dominate. I like synchronous learning as an instructor because it gives me a genuine idea of who is studying and who is not. Asynchronous learning I believe is a good way of learning for those students who are "afraid" or "intimidated" by other pupils, it gives them an opportunity to participate in a less stressful manner

I think you are correct, there are many factors to take into account and some minimum level of participation needs to be required.

Thanks for your response :)

Jane

Carrie,

You bring up some important issues in both types of online learning.

The students who "step out" during synchronous classes remind me of those who daydream or put their heads down during on campus classes. I deal with them online in much the same manner as I do on campus; I ask students to show their agreement with a statement I make by raising their hands. I include participation points as part of the grade in every class I teach.

I agree with you that asynchronous discussion can be less stressful, but I often have trouble getting students to offer meaningful or coplete answers to questions. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jane

At our institution we use both types. I like to use the synchronous learning as a feedback session for the student. What I mean is that if they are doing the asynchronous learning and following the material they can answer the questions that I pose during the synchronous session. I then tend to make mental notes as to who answer the questions most often during the synchronous sessions. Those students that are not participating I use the synchronous session as feedback for them as well and tell them that they need to be at a certain point in their studies. And I assume they are not there because they can't answer my questions. I try to use this time to show them where they should be and try to motivate them to study.

Kevin,

Your use of synchronous sessions to gauge where your students are in the course is terrific. I agree with you that these sessions can serve as motivation to the students who need to spend more time studying.

Aside from hlding Q & A sessions, do you use synchronous discussion for any other purposes?

Jane

Yes I do also use them for lecture purposes.Usually the lecture will cover the topics that I know historically the students have trouble with. I try to do some lecturing in each session, because even the students are online, many of them are still in the "on campus sitting in class mind set". I think this helps them get the info and gives them a sense of familiarity with the learning process.

Kevin,

You make a good point about the "sense of familiarity with the learning process" that takes place in online lectures.

I had never quite thought of it that way. Thanks for your insights :)

Jane

I feel that based upon the differences in our learners you should afford the best of both worlds to our students. Each has it's good points and bad points. Chat rooms can be confusing and you need good typing skills to keep up. Discussion boards have the advantage for slower students who need to have time to formulate their answers. I would use both methods.

The pros of synchronous chat method is that students get the value of an inclass discussion and obivous con is that not all students may be able to log on at the same time. Because of this supplemented synchronous chats with the asynchronous method I would be able to either prepare a transcript of the discussion to students unable to participate and they would still be able to comment on the topics of that discussion for consideration from other students. As an instructor I would have to make sure that all discussion stayed on topic.

Because of timing issues I may not require synchronous method but encourage them and hold them at times that would allow all students to participate. I would do this by having my guest lecturers, that students would find valuable, perform the synchronous chats.

I could then provide all students with transcripts using the asynchronous method and continue the discussion as part of an assignment to be completed by all.

Hi John,

I agree that discussion boards are better for slower typists than chat rooms. Aside from typing skills, what other characteristics do your students have that make them better suited for one method or the other?

Thanks,
Jane

Jason,

I like your suggestion that students attend synchronous classes with guest lecturers. The transcripts would be useful to those who were not able to be there live. Good idea!

Thanks for sharing,
Jane

Students who require instant feedback and have computer would work well in chat rooms. A good majority of students and the working population can handle the discussion board concept better since it relates back to email and they have no computer skills that are needed in order to handle todays work environment.

John,

Good point about discussion boards being familiar to students because of their similiarity to email. Now, if we could only get the business world up to par on their emailing skills :)

Thanks for your insightful responses...

Jane

Sign In to comment