Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have to agree with the "some says", formatting your discussion replies will help the shy ones who do not feel competent with their communication skills. I myself feel more apt to participate in forum discussions if I am able to take time and think about what I would like to communicate with other learners. Real time discussions are still desirable to those learners who are very sure of their intellectual fortitude, as well as, wanting an immediate response even if the response is not the one they are expecting. Making synchronous chats optional will be implimented to our online course. this will accommodate all learners. Do you have any more excellent feedback for me?

Most of my students feel much more comfortable in an asynchronous discussion. Since many of the courses we teach are on-line/in class courses we keep most of any synchronous chat in class. It's kinda of the best of both worlds.

I agree with your points here Sylvia. As with most of the posters here, I also feel it is appropriate to use both methods of deliery. The asynchronous gives students the opportunity to be careful and be happy with their answer. However, I would like to highlight Sylvia's point about synchronous chats allowing students to feel connected. I think that is very important for students to feel the connection to the course, peers, and instructors. Without that feeling I think students will stop being engaged and either not acheive the objectives of the course fully, fail, or drop out.

Hi Steve,

You do have the best of both worlds! How do you go about ensuring that students engage in your asynchronous discussions?

Some say that a higher level of learning takes place when asynchronous methods are used. Do you agree or has your experience been different?

Thanks,
Jane

Brad,

You are so right about the importance of students feeling connected. It is well-documented that this connection is crucial to retention.

Do you feel that an entirely asynchronous course could be designed to provide the same level of connection as a synchronous one?

:)
Jane

I dont think it could be designed to provide the same level, but I do think it could be designed to provide an adequate level. I think much of that has to do with student reception of the technology and environment.

Each type of learning has it's advantages. Asynchronous will increase the student skills in writing and software application and technology. Synchronous gives the learner a change to get immediate feedback from peers and instructors and can foster on your feet type critical thinking.

Paula,

Good points! If you were designing your own course, which methods would you use and why?

I am interested in your thoughts :)

Jane

I will use both synchronous (S) and asynchronous (A) discussion methods not because A can be used to support peer evaluation and B can be used to stimulate the discussion process, foster synergy, insightful or occur in real time, but using both for online discussion enhances the students ability to read their peers can reply on others posting,and analyze it so that they can understand it from a different perspective. I will use bot S & A when I will convert the Advance Web Design course online format.

The bottom line is that there can be a few disadvantages in terms of S because if 2-3 students dominating the discussion, others may feel leftout, do not want to participate and in relation to A, biasness may occur through peer evaluation.

Jai

Jai,

You make a very good point that both methods enhance students' learning experiences. The few disadvantages that you outline can be overcome through teacher management.

Your Advanced Web Design course should adapt well to the online environment. Students are already computer literate and students can view each other's work through links.

I am curious about the biases to which you refer when asynchronous discussion is used. Can you explain your concern and your thoughts on how to avoid this bias?

I really believe that there are biasness in peer evaluation as well as teachers evaluation in relation to students or the chairperson. If a teacher and the chairperson is not on the same page, constantly blaming,ignoring, or don't agree with each other there are possibilities that the chairperson will be biasness with that teacher in terms of promotioon, evaluation, etc. This has happen during my teaching experiences in NY and FL where i have taught.

Analyzing and critique others dissertation is a basic strategy to be bias which is your own thought/assumptions critizing the other. This method can lead to biasness.

Jai

Jai,

One way to prevent bias in online discussions is to give students guidelines for posting responses to their peers. Some guidelines you may consider are:

1- Make your first comment a positive one; point out a good point that your classmate made.

2 - Disagree in a respectful manner (give your students an example of a proper response)

3 - Do not engage in flaming (you should put a stop to any improper postings by personally contacting those involved by email or phone)

Can you think of any more ways to avoid bias?

Jane

Well! A dose of honesty is probable is a great way to prevent biasness as well as follow the ethical rules in evaluating work.

In a web design course I believe it would be more beneficial to use asynchronous discussion methods so students can commucicate about the different topics and designs that they are using to create their programs. This type of class is more artistic rather than logical and therefore would thrive better based upon an asynchronistic format.

I agree with your theories regarding sychronous chats.

Hi Teya,

I am curious... what about asynchronous discussion would make it more condusive to the Web design course?

How do you see your students interacting in your online classroom?

I am interested in your thoughts :)

Jane

Asynchronous discussion allows all students to participate. Often times when there is a scheduled discussion there are students who are unable to participate. I think this makes them feel (for lack of a better phrase) out of the loop. Asychronous discussion allows all students to participate at their convenience. I.E. What we are doing now. I believe this allows them to feel more a part of the "classroom discussion."

Teya

During my years of teaching, I have taken control of the conversation. Preventive measures can be the rubric for the forum. The preventive measures have entailed informing everyone that EVERYONE will be participating in the discussion.

For the ones who are more talkative - (regardless of the environment) - it is okay to:
1. Thank them for their input.
2. Ask them to allow others to relate their good ideas, also.
3. Put them into an intellectual "timeout" for two or three minutes.

They can construct their responses, but they cannot hit for three or so minutes. If you explain the advantages to them, they will adhere to it:

A. They will be able to construct a better answer during their "timeout".
B. They will be able to observe the flow of the discussion and make anticipatory remarks when they rejoin the chat.

Having decorum in the environment is a teaching and learning opportunity for the class. As models, we must demonstrate professional methods of channeling and focusing this energy.

Therefore, set the rules, remind them at the outset of each session, and enforce the rules, politely. As a stated directive, I would have a blurb to cut and paste from a Word document on to my initial screen above the conference topic du jour.

Then - "Let's get ready to rummmmmbbbbbble!!!

Lewis,

Your management of the online chat is terrific. I also find that rubrics help students understand how their chat sessions will be evaluated. I especially like your "timeout" idea. Not only does that allow others to "talk", it gives the superchatter a chance to "listen."

How do you handle asynchronous chats?

Jane

Utilizing both methods of synchronous and asynchronous are beneficial to all types of students as some will take over because of an ability to communicate and not feel as self conscious as others. Asynchronous enables the less outgoing to be heard.

Sign In to comment