Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I find that the students love games, it is a great way to learn and engage the students. I typically will play hangman or jeopardy, but the games listed in this module will be used in my classroom.

I have students in the past that were reluctant to participate in the class activities. By half way into the quarter they are the first to stand up and play. Some of my classes are in early AM so it helps to get them up and moving around. We use a dry erase board and the students always have fun when they get to come up to the board. I will project an anatomy image on the board and they come up and label the different parts. We will use different colors for different rounds so we get to see what they knew immediatly verses some of the later rounds.

This is a wonderful idea, especially using the different colors to see what they remembered first, second, etc. Using the white board is environmentally friendly, so it can be reused again and again, without using easel paper. Thanks for sharing!

I am very excited about trying a few of these games out in my Medical Terminology class. These are some great ways of introducing a new chapter or just reviewing for a test.

Yes, these games to encourage participation from everyone in the class room, you need to make teams and everyone gets a chance at answering. Even if only a handful of students are answering, as long as the rest of the class is listening, it will help them to hear the questions and then the answers. I feel that everyone wins, it's a win win situation. My students really enjoy these learning activities in the class.

Angelia, since it is a new year, it is time for a new approach. Good luck in all you do!

A bit stand-offish, at first. But they usually end up with giggles to laughter.

One critical thinking exercise I use involves simply walking from one end of the hallway to the other, one person at a time. The hitch? Each has to walk in a way different from those that crossed first (I usually go last and end up having to walk the most ridiculously to get down the hall).

[My director gave me the idea.]

Thanks for sharing your "walk your way" idea, Jesse. I'm going to try it!

I have always gotten a great response using activities, espcially when there is a small reward like a candy bar or gum.

I generally get a good response when using activities. Usually my biggest problem with this type of activity is not coming up with a fresh, new game or approach...In most cases it's the task of making a new one, just like the last one, but with questions and answers from the current content...any suggestions, maybe a program or website? Mainly interested in a faster way to make multi-use flashcards/gamecards:)

I used Simon Said (says)..and it works..the first time and every time I use it they don't know that's what they are about to play..It ends up being so much fun..!!

People like to compete in our society, and like to be recognized when they are successful. Even if it is a small token, it represents their accomplishment.

Jason, I have googled "K-12 teacher games" and found a number of share ware programs for who wants to be a millionaire, jeapoardy, wheel of fortune and other game formats that were created by school teachers, and all you have to do is fill in your content and they are ready to go. This helps me find fresh ideas for activities by adapting these to adults.

I like to surprise the students by using activities they don't expect...it makes them curious each time they come to class.

I like the idea of surprising students. In my class, they are never sure what I will say next. Adding activities will be just one more way to learn in an interesting manner.

Curiosity is a powerful motivator, so keep them guessing not only on what you'll say, but also what you will do!

They are surprised and hesitant at first but ultimately much more animated and motivated.

Students have laughed and learned. I build a candy cell for my A&P class. I buy candy and build a small cell on a paper plate. I then ask each student a question about a part of the cell and what it does or for. Students love it and they get a sugar high. However, this does take almost a whol class.

This is a great idea. To build on it, you might also want to google "the incredible, edible cell." You will find instructions on how to do this activity which has the learners build a cell from parts that are candy, so they all end with their own incredible edible cell.

I have used Jeporady, Who wants to be a millionaire, and even simple games like Hangman and BINGo. The students love the games and are always asking to do more. It really does help them remember and it helps with pronunciation as well.

Sign In to comment