Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

When I first started to teach Medical Terminology, the assigned project was due at the end of the quarter and it was to be a game. The students really loved making up games for terminology. I had everything from crosswords, Jeopardy, Twister, and some made up board games. Students loved them so much the next Quarter, we played them weekly.

Patricia, thanks for telling about your students creating the games. That way they had to get to know the content in a way that was fun and engaging. Keep the sharing going!

I have had a positive response anytime I use a hands on/interactive activity that uses the chapter objectives to help reenforce what has been lectured upon.

Reinforcement is key to building long term memory and retention of content, Rosita. Getting positive results from that reinforcement is an added benefit to you and your students.

At first there was grumbling about playing a game. The game was Concentration. They had to match the words with the definition and vice versa. After a few minutes of play time the room was filled with laughter. They had a great time and learned at the same time. What made it even more interesting was that they had to make the game up themselves. Each team had their own version of concentration. We had so much fun!

The students may grumble at first, because it is something new. I have even heard someone once say that since it is something like a game or fun that is it isn't learning. They quickly learn that these games confirm their learning. I have used them at reviews at the end of a lesson and many classes look forward to playing review.

I love that idea - Smarter than a ________ - I teach the pharmacy technician program and I could twist this! thanks for the idea!

There are always a few students who do not naturally like games, but do get on board when they see how it makes it easier to learn.

You are welcome!

Any time the class can be interactive, it has been a very positive experience. They become better listeners and class participation it at it's highest.

I have received mixed reviews from students. Learning curbs differ. Personality has an impact on learning susceptibility, as well.

I must admit that I am one of the "old schoolers". We did not play games in nursing school 20 years ago. I am also guilty of subscribing to the mentality of "adults shouldn't need games to learn" as well as realizing that preparation of games will add even more time to my already many hours of lesson planning. With that being said, I do realize the benefit of doing whatever I can do to help my students learn the information. I definitely will begin to try some of these ideas.

Yes, dealing with a variety of learning and personality styles all in one class is a challenge. I've learned you can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can do your best to invite them to learn in active ways.

I like these ideas and I am going to incorporate a few of them as classroom activities... thanks

You arewelcome...it is my pleasure to share ideas you might be able to use. Happy New Year!

As someone who has been teaching over 30 years, I understand your feeling about these ideas. I have found changing my teaching style to one of being learner focused(what have they learned?) versus teacher focused (let me tell you what I know and you listen) has brought me a higher number of successful students. Not all of my learner focused activities are games, but all require the learners to be engaged and doing something. Thank you for being open minded and possibly using one or two ideas.

These are good activities, but I will have to make some adjustments. Football is not so common with my students (many are from other countries)and 95% are female. For med term, I have everyone stand and close their eyes. I ask a medical term and have them point to that body area. Correct answers keep standing; incorrect sit down (after opening their eyes!) Next time, I will go around and touch their shoulder to indicate when to sit. (I used to call out student names to have them sit, but now realize this focuses on the wrong, rather than reinforcing the right. I may try nerf ball, but our space is pretty limited, and it is difficult to move around safely. Any suggestions?

I have had a very positive response from games such as "jeopardy" and "you choose".

I like your suggestion of pointing to the body part. I also like that you touch their shoulder rather than calling out their name. Your talent as a teacher shows in your instincts and insights you have shared with me.

Since your learners are diverse and largely female, find out what they like and talk about at breaks and create an activity around that. I'd also suggest you look at the ideas I share in course 311. Hope this helps.

Walter, I think some people would secretly like to be on the real "Jeopardy" and have found success with that also.

Sign In to comment