Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

It's great to use the textbook companion cd, Saria. Good luck with the mystery word. You'll be surprised how curiosity motivates them to participate.

Any quick tips?

I have used the nerf ball idea as a "jog your memory" activity at the beginning of the quarter. We used the activity to review terms we learned last quarter. The students seemed to enjoy the activity and were able to remember difficult terms with the help of their fellow students.

I love the nerf ball idea. Students helping students builds confidence and cooperation and will serve them well when asked to work with a variety of people on the job.

I have never implemeted games into a classroom but these are all great ideas. Those mentioned in our reading encouraged participation from everyone.....wouldn't Family Fued and Jeopardy only extract participation from a handful? Sometimes when they have the capability of answering out loud, I generally hear the same ones stating the answer then the others will "piggyback" on what they said.

When I am playing Jeopardy, I put the class into small teams and they must elect someone from each team to buzz in for the group. This person can't answer a question (they only buzz in), the rest of his/her group can must answer the question if they are first to buzz in. I use a devise called an "Eggspert" which tells me who was first.

For family fued, each person represents a small group who must either answer or give advice to the panle member. Hope this helps.

What a great tool! I went on line to find the Eggspert and found all kinds of great tools to use for the games. I appreciate all of you who put in these wonderful ideas. Us rookies really look up to your pros! Thanks

Thanks for your nice note!

More positive than negative. Students love interaction. I remember I felt lost and unmotivated when I would just sit there and listen to a teacher lecture. It was not engaging. That is why I make sure that my students play a role in learning the material in the class.

My students love when I implement activities into class, it breaks up lecture time and when I list them on there calenders that they recieve at the start of each term, they look forward to it and ask alot of questions. I hope I get assigned to teach Med Term next term so I can list World Series, and Super Bowl on there schedules instead of Review the day before there test.....If I don't got to Med Term, I might figure out away to incorperate these ideas into Administrative Skills.

Thank you for your positive feedback, Emily. You have seen the benefit of actively involving your learners. Keep up the good wok.

They get it.

Whenever I used activities in the classroom, it was very fun and exciting for everyone, including me. It actually grabbed the attention of everyone and made them want to pay attention to more class discussion.

Keep up the good work and invite your learners to interact in ways that are fun and engaging. Having the attitude of a learner will serve you well.

Responses have been good. Once I took steps of a computer program and wrote each step on a piece of paper. Then I handed them out to students. I asked the students who were having the most trouble in class put the people/steps in order.
It worked great and the students learned the order of the steps.

You made the steps of the computer into a hands on or kinesthetic method and have seen how that gives you great results. I'd encourage you to do the same for other difficult topics.

I have taught terminology two different ways, with activities (such as using games)or productive using powerpoints. To be honest students love games and I have noticed that the games really get them to learn and understand teminology much better than powerpoints. The student take part in the games more and class discussions than just taking notes.

Christina, many people think games just waste time, but if you use them correctly, you can reinforce terminology much faster and easier than using only lecture. They become interactive learning activities and not games and can be quite an effective teaching tool.

It always brings the students together as a group and helps them bond in a different way. They form bonds (when the walls come down)that last and strengthen throughout their time at school.
It helps everyone to be better because they are connected with each other through something fun.

Creating positive bonds also models how to work effectively with others who are different from them when they enter the career job they have trained for, so that is an added benefit.

Sign In to comment